Sign in to follow this  
Katch

Windows XP what's its damn problem!

Here's a question. What the hell is wrong with XP. Alright let me refine that with some context otherwise we'll be here all day.

Windows installations are wierd, especially onto overclocked rigs, is this just a Katch rig phenomenom or have others found this too. First let me point out that this rig is stable at the settings in my sig and primes well enough for a toaster sig.

Here are my observations and frustrations.

Sometimes Windows just doesn't seem snappy enough after a fresh install. I can always tell when its happening aswell, like I can almost smell the install going sour.

The first clue that I'm gonna end up with a bad install is it seems to take a little too long at each step.

The next is the tedious amount of time it takes for the first startup after the installation.

Usually at this point I do a quick configure of my user account. Sort the pagefile out onto a seperate drive partition. Install critical updates to SP1 (SP2 sux). Install all current drivers. Install diskeeper and jv16 powertools. Clean out junk reg entries - clear the prefetch - defrag the OS drive.

On a clean install of Windows (aka not what I have right now after installing at 250FSB) what results is a computer that boots from cold in a matter of seconds - post - windows is loading screen for one smooth pass of the little progress bar - login screen to desktop before you blink.

On a buggy install the windows is loading progress bar kinda stutters across a few times - screen goes blank - login to desktop happens eventually.

I know the answer behind not having this issue, it's quite obvious. Just install at stock then overclock and hey presto no issue.

But why does this happen, what mechanism is responsible for this issue, can it be avoided and a clean OC'd install be made?

Things that can contribute to a poor beginning.

Kingston HyperX 3200 KHX3200K2/1G BH-5 2 x 512Mb @ 11-2-2-2-2.0-9-12-1-1-2-2-2-1-2-e-e-f-d DC

Too much load on the memory controller.

Antec Trueblue 480W @ 1.9 vCore - 1.6 vAGP - 1.7 vChipset - 3.3 vDimm

1.7chipset is on "most" boards not enough chipset voltage. And most of those standard type power supplies and heavy overclocking just don't have it in the long run to pull all the load you have.

60Gb Excelstor

Don't know if this the boot drive or the storage drive but they have no proven track record that am aware of. Plus you do not mention what you use for a Cd/ATAPI device that is 'used' to read the install CD. The CD reading device in the system can be marginal and is always doing 'rereads' to pull the data from the CD.

Then you say this.

I know the answer behind not having this issue, it's quite obvious. Just install at stock then overclock and hey presto no issue.

Well if that is the answer and you know it, then why don't you load windows that way?

Always the proverbial question as to why I cannot just do it the way I want to instead of the way it will work?

But why does this happen, what mechanism is responsible for this issue, can it be avoided and a clean OC'd install be made?

The why. That is a little hard to put into the precise 1, 2, 3 of the issue but it starts with this for sure and is compounded by the pieces possibly.

Ever look in the I386 folder on a windows CD? See the files that are *.sy_ > *.dl_ > *.in_ . Everyone of those files is compressed and must be extracted for all practical purposes before they are useable. Take any of the possible 4 no 5 'iffy' things I pointed out above and that extraction process falters and though windows does not fail the install process and grind to a halt> it is not 'clean'.

Then take these situations noted so far and add to it that the computer is being setup without the 'chipset' drivers installed that tell the o/s "how" to interface with the chipset, then you have a funky install when it is completed. Bowstring tight timings and heavy load on the memory controller and overclocked at time of install coupled and perhaps reinforced or compounded by the hardware setup cause the install to be dorky when all of the many files must be read, extracted and written to the setup files to make up the windows install and it successful and snappy.

Once any of the parameters or combination of parameters brings about a 'glitch'; the whole of the windows o/s from that time forward is dorky. So in reality it is 'not' a windows problem as windows only does what and how it is basically remanded to do. The question is rather; under what conditions is it being commanded to function.

And since windows is expected to be the interface between the applications and the hardware > it really should always be given the utmost care in loading so that it can in fact have an opportunity to do the best job it can after installation. So really what you said here is the best way. Never changes really.

And with your own statement you basically have set forth the procedure you should use to install windows because looking at your 'toaster' it is obvious that after a good install the computer is able to overlook to some extent any of the possible causes of a bad install. That is about it.

RGone...

RGone, as always an extensive and intelligent answer. I thank you. *optimises defaults - sets to stock - and starts again*

:P

Originally posted by RGone

1.7chipset is on "most" boards not enough chipset voltage.

RGone...

So you suggest raising the chipset voltage to 1.8?