Sign in to follow this  
Rustbucket

Should I install SP2?

I am in big trouble then lol. I do not run either SP1 or SP2...just MS updates. Of course

I do not have USB2 capability but I do not have any USB2 devices. Not having MS

OutHouse Express installed at all or using Internet Explorer (fully MS updated though)

helps a magnitude of order security wise though. Having all the NetBios ports

completely closed and either uninstalling or killing the all the remote admin services

add another order of magnitude security wise.

Viper

Guest ZigZag
Originally posted by ViperJohn

I am in big trouble then lol. I do not run either SP1 or SP2...just MS updates. Of course

I do not have USB2 capability but I do not have any USB2 devices. Not having MS

OutHouse Express installed at all or using Internet Explorer (fully MS updated though)

helps a magnitude of order security wise though. Having all the NetBios ports

completely closed and either uninstalling or killing the all the remote admin services

add another order of magnitude security wise.

Viper

I've been running XP Pro much the same way you've described for the past 11 months without incident.

Just Mozilla for a browser and most of my Admin Services have been disabled or set to manual. My Windows selective startup only has my vid card oc utility bootin up in Windows.

I wouldn't recommend it tho for most users.

I also manually edit out my registry constantly after deleting games & files as residue likes to hide in there.

Originally posted by ZigZag

I've been running XP Pro much the same way you've described for the past 11 months without incident.

Just Mozilla for a browser and most of my Admin Services have been disabled or set to manual. My Windows selective startup only has my vid card oc utility bootin up in Windows.

I wouldn't recommend it tho for most users.

I also manually edit out my registry constantly after deleting games & files as residue likes to hide in there.

You are exactly like me...a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. priciple which is something MS

does it's very best to avoid at all costs. Not using EI6 (even fully updated) or OutHouse

Express take care of a good 50-60% of the security holes in XP right there. Killing file

sharing, remote services and closing the Netbios ports slams the door on darn near

everything else. MS updates take care or rest, most of which were already nuttered

by one of the above without the update.

I to keep a close eye on the registry especially what is loading at startup. Like you

I would not recommend the lean installs we run for Joe average, bullet proof as they

are. You do have to know what you are doing but it pays off in XP installs that do not

have the hick-ups you commonly see in the forums.

I have run a static IP address for over 3 years without a firewall with WinXP and have

never had a virus or invasion of any kind. I do have comprehesive scans run from an

outside sources regularly (about once per quarter) to check to see if I am vulnerable to

invasion/attach from anything new. With the exception of my IP address, which I choose

to allow to be seen, I have always been locked up tight. My latest thing to keep an

eye on is MalWare and again not using IE (I use FireFox now) helps tremendously with

that too.

Black Viper service disables are a bible and XPlite is a nice easy way to get all the

extraneous and security compromising garbage out of XP that MS likes to have in it.

Viper

Guest ZigZag

I've never used a firewall or AV program since 1999, my first yr on pc.

I do use System Mechanic Pro to assist once in awhile with cleanups too. Just started that this year actually.

The less services u run in the background & at startup the faster the pc is, without a doubt.

Never got a virus ever, had spyware when I ran IE6.

Google---> Pest Patrol

Here u can get a free online spyware scan.

Originally posted by ZigZag

I've never used a firewall or AV program since 1999, my first yr on pc.

I do use System Mechanic Pro to assist once in awhile with cleanups too. Just started that this year actually.

The less services u run in the background & at startup the faster the pc is, without a doubt.

Never got a virus ever, had spyware when I ran IE6.

Google---> Pest Patrol

Here u can get a free online spyware scan.

Yeah I forgot to mention I do not use an AV program either lol. I am a registered user of

pest Patrol but never really like it much.

Viper

Depends on how security critical your machine and evironment is.

SP2 definitely slows my machine down, not a great deal, but enough to irratate a tweaker like me.

The main slow down I get is in booting Windows. After tweaking SP1 tight ala Blackviper (mad props to this guy) I get get my load times down so small that the windows is loading splash screen barely has chance to come up (less than one pass of the progress bar)

After SP2 no amount of tweaking would get that down bellow 4 and a bit passes of the progress bar.

So what you say? Exactly so what. The only other thing I've noticed is Windows feels snappier under a tweaked SP1 then SP2, again barely noticable.

So what conclusion do I arrive at? If you are obsessed with those 50 or so 3DMarks or 5fps SP2 is gonna annoy you. If you do a lot of online work exposing your computer to the woes of the internet, then SP2 would be a good idea.

I personally dislike SP2 (quite intensly but there you go, I've tried to be balanced in what I have said) I'm staying with SP1 untill the next incarnation of Windows appears.

There's quite a few IE exploits that are patched up in SP2, but not for SP1, and won't be for a long time.

So if you're not using WinXP SP2, you might wanna use another browser, like Firefox :)