Should I install SP2?

Hey I'm new to these forums, and they have been a great resource to me thus far. I was just wondering whether or not I should go for a Windows XP SP2 install or should I just stick with SP1 when I build my new rig with:

LANPARTY NF3 UT 250gb

1GB DDR400 Mushkin

A64 3000+

160GB SATA

80GB IDE

DVD Burner

etc. etc. etc.

I have found a few things through searching, but not a real direct answer. So if some could list some of the known issues or give me a link that would be great.

Yes

With conditional reservations...

Do your research regarding the applications you depend on. Make sure you have the latest and greatest program versions and device drivers burned to CD just in case you need them.

I have been running SP2 since the day it was released on three computers. The only problem I had was on a Shuttle box with old microcode that didn't support SP2. I solved it with a processor swap.

There are users that are encountering severe problems with SP2. Most of the problems are software related but some like mine are hardware generated. Do your homework.

Always backup your critical data and plan on having to rebuild from scratch if the worst happens.

yes

like Roadie says, do a little homework. Almost every piece of software that wouldnt work in SP2 now will work (updates).

I have SP2 on all the machines on the LAN (NF3 included now) and no problems. I do use a NAT firewall router so I never have problems with Sp2's firewall (I turn it off immediately).

Games all work fine (no problems on any box yet). Applications all work fine. No slowdowns after tweaking the Windows Services a bit (Black Viper guide, its in the stickies).

(btw I connect on both routers @ 100Mbps on all machines, all using SP2).

the answer truthfully is yes, you most definitely should have SP2. The fixes and updates brings your XP into a more mature state. Windows will always be crap, but SP1 was ridiculed and cursed at first too, but fixed a lot of issues (most of them security issues and hardware issues).

SP2 is no different....it is very beneficial to make sure your Windows is the most up to date and secure that MS can patch it to.

as for some complaining about it making their computer slow...I dont know if I buy that really. I use it and I dont see a difference (I did do my normal Black Viper tweaking though...a regular routine for me). And honestly, today's A64/P4 machines are more than enough horsepower to take a very minor performance hit while keeping your Windows up to date and as secure as MS can make it.

Nice post, Angry Games.

I been using Black Vipers tweaks for almost 3 yrs now.

In XP Pro I only have 11 services running, lol.

Control Panel/ Administrative Services is u friend.

:>Þ

unfortunately Flght, the 'features' are security fixes and are necessary for WindowsXP.

by now I dont know of any software that does not work with SP2.

you should always install the Service Packs once the general concensus is that they are stable and work.

there will always be a few that have issue with it but an overwhelming majority have SP2 in and working now.

remember it was the same for SP1 for XP, and any SP for Win2k at first...resistance but then soon after you needed the SP for things to function correctly.