disk read error, cant acces windows

i took out my board to put some sinks on the mosfets, and then put it back in with most of them done

now it goes disk read error crtl alt del to restart.

i tried both sata cables and ports, swithcing my dimms around

(1-3 and 3-1) and other stuff so its pretty obvious my os is corrupted. thats ok cause i kind of knew it was coming, since it wasnt a very fresh copy

but now i cant even reinstall windows it gets freezes.

isthere something wrong or should i just go back to stock clocks and try again?

but its kind of wierd my comp was on then i turned it off to do the sinking and there was no evidence, except for a corrupt file about a month ago, but chkdsk fixed that.

i also cant get into recovery console to do chkdsk /r

dont get me wrong im not blaming the board

checked real careful to make sure when you put the sinks on you arent bridging two electrical links? grounding out against something? Pierced a cap or in some other way damaged some surrounding item?

im quite sure you are as careful as me at doing these mods but just double check to make double sure. I've done things like that 100 times and still can screw one up once in a while.

also have you checked that it will work @ default speeds? If it works at default speeds, then it most likely is an abberation from sinking that will go away once you are back up and running again and begin to go overclocking.

or...it could be something really obvious like you plugged one of the drives in wrong (wrong channel, not plugged in all the way, a cable is sorta loose or very loose...any number of odd things).

try a minimal boot with just the cpu/ram/vid and boot drive. No cdrom or sound cards or anything else plugged in at all.

also looking at your sig i see some high voltages. I know these are normal for us when doing the monster clocks but sometimes changing the board (even something as benign as sinking mosfets) can do weird things.

i see computers as being like plants...I can ignore and nearly dry my plants to death, I can overwater them, i can do all sorts of bad things to them and they keep growing like i'm feeding them steroids...but the instant I move them to another house or another room...they get some bad cancer or something and start dying like they were attending a big poisonous kool-aid party.

moral is that odd and strange things happen even when you barely mess with things heh.

if at the end of trying all these suggestions and any that others might throw out at ya....you can always bring the board back to 100% stock like it was when you broke the seal on the static bag...and have DFI replace it to rule out that the board is toast (but the dudes at DFI on the recieving end will be checking the board pretty close so thats why I'm asking you to double and triple careful check the sinking or any other modding you have done to make sure!)

yeh, i even left out some sinks in the vcore area to make sure the as5 will hold and the case is on its side whilst they cure

nothing is touching

i tried both sata channels and switching cables

the board is otherwise stock, except i removed tha zalman sink i had on and put the one from my kv8 pro so my nv5 silencer would fit

i went back to stock and tried to reinstall but it freezes on "examining xxx mb disk on sata bus 0 or something"

Guest ScubaSteve

a couple of things you might wanna try...(if it's already been sudjested, just ignore the ideas)

All things concidered, you still might wanna try just one stick of RAM each in the different DIMMs.

Maybe get a hold of a HDD testing program...gwscan, pc doctor or whatever else might be out there.

Maybe try a different HDD, maybe IDE but another SATA would be best...

Just some things you might want to try

i dont wanna try a Hd tester cause most say to back stuff up first but i cant

usually it freezes installing windows, once i started formatting but it restarted at about 4%

either the board somehow got damaged or the HD is dieing

can fumbling ramsinks and dropping one or two on the board damage it? from about 1 cm away... i cant see how. i am very careful and they arent heavy

it seems the sata controller could be damaged, since i changed the chipset heatsink, maybe a bad mounting could cause overheating and the sata acts funny? the hs feels cool but not cold

im really stumped here, and dont wanna have to rma and be without a board for 2 or more weeks

ok i poput ghost on a floppy and messed around and it said my volume was unstable. i think my hd is going.

good news its not my board :D

but that means my files might be in danger, i havent backed up for a long time and ive got so much stuff

hardrive and do a fresh install with your OS, then slave the bad drive with the hopes you can recover the data with either burnage or direct transfer to new drive. i would perform a disk check first to see if the drive is going bad (disk manager from your HD manu).

i just went through a baffling sequence with a hard drive, i have an 80 gigger housed in a USB 2.0 external, turns out it was buggering the whole system, even running USB and as a storage drive not in use, only plugged in.

i got four 80gig hard drives at the same time, ALL of them went South about the same time, and about two months out of warranty. Maxtor did not have any simpathy to my pleas that they had to be defective from manu, i mean, how could a storage drive go belly up while resting 99.99% of the time..............and strangely all went at the same time, heavily used or just idling.

baldy

:D :D

reject, if you do any and I really mean any discovery on recovery of information from marginal drives; one of the first things they will tell you is do nOt run the drive. Every extra time you run the drive lessens your chance of recovering or getting good data. Do not run a drive tool on it either if you have data you want. Running over the whole drive with some tool could be just the 'switch' that dumps the whole drive in the toilet as far as data safety goes. Since you have not backed up it is best to get another drive and set up windows on it and slave the old to the new drive and see if you can immediately pull the data you think you need off and to safety. Any other procedure is just playing with fire and risking an ever greater disaster.

Edit: In case I was not clear about it you need to take the drive that you think is iffy and going bad> out of the system now and do not use it until you get the other one up and running and then rehook it and see if you can get the data off. If the data you have not backed up means anything to you. If it means nothing then carry on.

RGone...