Okay, now it's time for a PSU with POTS

mongoose470

Note that POTS is an abbreviation, not a plural form of the wonderous and mysterious herb although I wouldn't mind such a generous rebate :angel:

As I will likely be purchasing some OCZ VX ram, I'll need a PSU with adjustable rails. I don't want to voltmod my Antec. I'm considering the PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool Deluxe 510. With the external POTs that allow for greater voltage adjustments, it's looking to be $200.00+

I saw one review on it. Is PCP&P just a lot of price or do they live up to their potential and hype?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems fairly new and I've heard it has some issues with certain boards and socket 939. Additionally the 600 watt powerstream was pulled due to it frying videocards.

It may very well be a quality PSU and it seems to be gaining popularity, but I want to stick with a firmly established brand when it comes to a power supply.

The Antec TrueControl 550 is around $130. Very solid PSU in their TruePower line of PSUs. I'm getting the non-adjustable version.

*loves Antec PSUs*

According to my computer, I would need around a 480 watt PSU to power everything. My Antec True430 does it without a complaint.

The POTs on both the True Control and PP&C PSU's don't have enough adjustability to be worth it, really. If you really don't wanna do a vsense mod to your PSU (which in fact is really easy) You're best off with the PowerStream, which has a an adjustable 3.3v rail up to 3.8v or so.

Pc power and cooling is good ..

But to be honest Id buy a OCZ in a second... I think they are coming out with some quality products lately ..

If you want adjustable pots then thats the one to go with.. I have my PC Power & cooling sense modded with pots hot glued to the outside..hehe.. But if I didnt already have it the OCZ would be in my rig for sure..

Ive also heard many good things about the Fortron 530 for a less expensive alternative..

edit..

Haha.. jagt you beat me to the post..lol

Yea I shoulda mentioned that too.. Before my sense mod I tried to max the stock pots out.. this is the highest they went..

3.3v = 3.39

5v= 5.16

12v= 12.20

Its good cuz they are very stable.. but if you planning on getting more from the 3.3 for some bh5 goodness you'll want the OCZ or have to mod one..

Originally posted by mongoose470

BTW: PCP&C will customize their PSU with POTS that are adjustable to +-10% on all rails, allowing 3.63V on the 3.3 rail.

OCZ goes to 3.8 though.

Yup they will.. But for a nice fee also.. ;)

Prolly better deal to go with the OCZ..

Originally posted by Alexia

The Antec TrueControl 550 is around $130. Very solid PSU in their TruePower line of PSUs. I'm getting the non-adjustable version.

*loves Antec PSUs*

According to my computer, I would need around a 480 watt PSU to power everything. My Antec True430 does it without a complaint.

I run the "non adjustable" Antec 550 True without incident. Zero complaints & its mega quiet.

the older revision with 24A on the 12V rail as opposed to 30A on the current True550 model.

I am unimpressed. I had to mod my fans to turn at full speed just to get the voltage stable. Why? Because the fans would never speed up causing my PSU to run hot. My first True 550 overheated and blew out. The RMA they sent had a couple random shutdowns until I modded the fans to run at full speed. Shutdowns stopped.

Granted Antec has changed their Truepower models a bit. Alas, no adjustable rails. Even the Truecontrol offers little control on the rails.

Judging by the scant few scientifically based reviews I've read, the PCP&C is unrivaled but their market doesn't seem to be aimed toward overclockers.

OCZ on the other hand, seems primarily aimed at overclockers.

I want this PSU to be my last for a long time.