Email Servers

LobbDogg

well that should tell you that they are secure enough. Your not that trust worthy. lighten up people wont abuse it. You can lighten up and not give everyone admin controlls you know that of course.

well that should tell you that they are secure enough. Your not that trust worthy. lighten up people wont abuse it. You can lighten up and not give everyone admin controlls you know that of course.

Nothing is totally secure, or "secure enough". Security set aside, we still need a server for mail so the main servers aren't overloaded.

What OS are you running on those servers? I tend to run Red Hat and Mandrake on my servers as they have auto updating mechanisms. So as soon as a hole is discovered in any app installed it will be patched within a couple of hours. Its really reassuring, especially if I am not there to do the upgrade. I can also monitor them remotely with the Red Hat Network.

It costs me $90+ a year, which isnt bad. There is a personal subscription for $60 pa I think.

The 9000 Pro is a sweet card, I got it a few months ago. Its not the top card out there, but its an adequate card for gaming and stuff.

I think linux is great for servers.

I have one up now http://linuxmdk.servegame.com - Its running Mandrake 9.1, Apache 2.0, PHP and MySQL. I also use Webmin to configure and monitor it.

No content there yet, just testing the system and making sure its reading for hosting a site!

I dont have a fixed IP, only dynamic hence I am using no-ip.com.

Oh and whats the spec of the two current servers. I am going to get some Pentium Pro 200MHz Quad boards and processors packed with 512MB RAM each, they should be great web servers. Just waiting on this guy who goes to auctions for liquidated companies and all :)

Edited by ukmike02

i like mine too. A guy recomended it to me. then when i got it he keep saying that i was a stupid mofo to buy it. but anyways i love it for my dual monitors! It supports most of my games. but when i run screen savers ive been having problems with them being a bit jerky. sweet hook me up with some space when you get it up.

Its up now. The address is in my last post. You may get to see it when its on, but I turn it off of a night as it is a little too loud at the moment.

I have a little trouble at the moment getting the PHP-MySQL module working. I think it might be because I installed PHP during the mandrake install, and then downloaded MySQL later, compiled and installed it via source code rather than RPM. I am going to play around with it tomorrow and then it will be ready. Its gonna start doing some little things for me, and then if it goes well, I will get a proper domain and upgrade it.