Mobile XP 2600 vs. XP 3000...

purist

Well, I know I posted a lot of questions. Sorry for that, but they are all things I've been wondering and searching the forum for. I've not turned up much so I'm just flat out asking. Hopefully you guys can help me out. If not, you've all still been great thus far and it is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Arrgghh! I just typed a whole bunch of stuff for you and then hit the wrong button. :mad:

Anyway here's the short version--

CPC-- with 256 sticks... I'd leave it on.

AGP FSB-- I don't know

AGP voltage-- a little more helps sometimes. It's a trial and error thing.

Chipset Voltage-- It depends on your board. Some like more some like less. 1.7v is a good starting point. 1.9v sometimes causes lock-ups. Once again.... trial and error thing.

CPU voltage-- whatever your cooling can take. Keep socket under 50C.

Dual-Channel is cool. :cool: You might get a few more FSB's in single channel..... with a slight performance hit. It's a personal preference thing.

Pencil mod-- I wouldn't.... but that's just me. See what you can do with the voltage you've got before worrying about mods.

RAM cooling-- There is a constant debate over whether heatspreaders help or hurt. I'd suggest leaving them on (to keep your warranty) and pointing a fan at your RAM.

....just my opinions.

k0n

Originally posted by king of nothing

I'm pretty sure the Mobiles and your XP3000+ have the same amount of L2 cache.

..... and the simplest way to tell if your cpu is unlocked is to change the multi in the bios and then run CPU-Z and see if it changes there also. If you change it in the BIOS and CPU-Z doesn't change..... then it's locked. :(

With reference to the above.......

I've changed the the multi in my bios and CPU z reflects this change......

Am I to think that my XP3200 is unlocked??:nod:

So I can play a bit more than I originally thought??

cheers

phil

Originally posted by Legacy

With reference to the above.......

I've changed the the multi in my bios and CPU z reflects this change......

Am I to think that my XP3200 is unlocked??:nod:

So I can play a bit more than I originally thought??

cheers

phil

Yes you can.. :)

Usually if the cpu is locked it will just boot with the stock multi reguardless of what you change it to in bios.. or it will not boot at all and you'd have to clear the cmos to get it to boot again..

Thanks KoN. Good info. Unfortunately I kinda' figured that would be the case as far as the voltages go so I think I'm just about maxed out - DAMN YOU 3000!

I'll leave CPC alone.

Interesting about the dual channel. Sounds like an even trade off so I ought to just leave it in dual channel mode.

Legacy - I dropped my multiplier as per AGs recommendation and was able to get a higher FSB. Was previously stuck at 222, but after lowering the multiplier got up to 235 with the same CPU clock. I'm sure we'd be in a much easier spot if we had mobile chips though. Of course this was before I blew up my fan speed controller and lost the use of my 4800 RPM CPU fan.

Aw man! You got me all excited for a relevant post! Haha.

Anyway, you ought to post your voltages. Would tell more about your situation.

Sorry for the long time since last post.

So my Voltages are (all on Air):

vcpu 1.725

vmem 2.9

vchip 1.9

agp: the lowest(1.5 or 1.6 i think)

good luck. Tayler

Not that I'm the most experienced when it comes to RAM, but I don't know what that manufacturer is. Do you know what kind of chips you have on it? My RAM, which came with BH6 chips needs all the voltage I can give it - I'm at 3.3 volts. If your's is like mine you may want to raise the voltage on that. However, I'm a novice at this so you will want to wait for others opinions.

Chris

These Adata's have Hynix.

And of tests, i know they can:

200 Mhz 2-3-3-5

250 Mhz 2,5-3-4-6

290 Mhz 3-4-4-8

but only on P4 Boards. the 290 fsb @ 2.85 Volt.

And sorry in my last post i wrote cmem 2.9, thats incorrect its 2.8.

Google for the adatas they are good, but they were better for P4.

Tayler