No Luck with OCZ PC3200 EL Platinum Rev. 2

Guest garetjax_merged

Guest garetjax

Hi,

I'm looking for some help. I thought I would get as much as I could out of my 3200 DTR so I invested in some good ram - OCZ PC3200 EL Platinum Rev. 2 purchased from newegg. I also replaced the 350 psu that came with my coolermaster case with a 450watt coolermaster psu.

I'm not having any luck at all with this ram - it is barely performing better than my previous cheap ADATA so I am very disappointed.

I've spent 2 days trying to get some decent results out of it. Last night I decided to just try getting 1 stick to work before using 2. I was using slots 1 and 3.

I began by finding my max cpu speed - last time I did this with the ATDATA I could get over 2600. With the new ram I set the ram divider to 1/2 (100) and was able to get to a bit over 2500 using a 10 multiplier. That would survive superpi 1mb test. I then tried to find my max htt using a multi of 7. I couldn't go above 269 - with max voltages of 1.72 cpu, 1.8 chipset, and 3.1 ram. I've tried using Oskar Wu's recommended ram settings for TCCD, tried all auto, and lots of other settings to no avail.

Any ideas of what to try? My goal is to get 2500 with higher ram timings - I could run 2500 with the adata all day long but only with reduced mem speeds.

Guest garetjax

Cool I'll try lower vdimm. I wasn't sure what I should be expecting as the limit for htt - if its 270 then I'm close. I just need to get my ram speeds up as I was testing with (100) or (133) so the ram wouldnt get in the way of finding my max cpu and max htt.

Guest garetjax

Just an update,

Lowering vdimm did not help - I must have the newer TCCD chips that like voltage.

After some more testing I finally got things working. I am running 2412mhz, 9 X 268, mem at 1:1 (268) 1T. I couldn't get it stable until I raised the voltage up to 3.1. CPU is at 1.71 - don't remember the rest as I'm posting from work.

I got half life 2 so I spent most of the weekend playing rather than tweaking - playing hours with no problems at the above settings. I will try and get more out of her later - I noticed my temps were pretty high with the higher voltages running hl2 for hours - ie 39-40c under load with chipset at 35-36. I may end up putting on an iceberg on the nf3. I have my cpu fan on a fan controller so runs quiet, I cranked it up to max and it brought temps down to 33 under full load but it is way too loud.

I'll post my mem settings when I get home from work tonight.

Garet

Well if you think they are the newer TCCD (should have the big OCZ sticker in the middle of the heatspreaders, rather than just an imprint), then whack them up to 3.3V (assuming that's possible on the UT) and see how high the fsb will go :D

3.1v on the dimms is already too much.

I'd rma that ram & get the Patriot Extreme pc-3200 on Brainpower pcb.

Read a review where it owns all other ram with 2 dimms occupied.

I'll be back with some linkage.

Current yields on OCZ aren't what they were apparently if 3.1V is needed to get performance.

Madshrimps TCCD shootout just done last week shows OCZ not getting very good performance with 2 dimms occupied.

Sorry, let me clarify - the newer batches of TCCD (in the newer OCZ plat rev2) works the same as the old batches, except that at higher voltages (3.1-3.6V) it can run with tighter timings at high fsb. The older TCCD prefers around 2.6-2.8V only.