Sign in to follow this  
Moose&Squirrel

Randon Crashes with LP UT 250

Originally posted by Moose&Squirrel

I have a sneaking suspicion this is related to sound.

Any ideas?

I don't really want to have to drop in a sound card :

S&M

Don't think its sound related. Note we both have 9800 Pro's and I'm suffering the same syptoms. I can play for hours or for only a few minutes. I've reformatted countless times trying different things with same results.

I truely believe my BBA 9800 Pro is not compatible with any NF3.

Actually now I think of it I formatted with XP Pro SP2 and had no problems with gaming, went back to W2K cause I thought it was a driver issue. More and more I think about it the W2K ATI driver might be the issue. If you get a chance throw on a fresh install of XP.

Yeah when games crash I assume its a gf driver or sound issue.

Unfortunatly I don't have XP yet but I'll be picking up a copy in the New Year.

You would think though that many people would be complaining about this as the 9800 pro is a fairly popular model.

S&M

dont think it is a sound issue as Im using the onboard sound and never had issue with any game (and im heavy gamer).

could be though, I never rule anything out.

as for hte 9800Pro problem...we've looked at it from different angles but can never reproduce it consistently...your best bet is to try different drivers (maybe use older ATI or older NForce drivers...or like RacerX says...try WinXP...2k is just not that popular of an OS anymore, especially for gaming. And while it might sound like I'm passing the buck, I'm really not as we dont make the graphics driver nor the NForce driver...we expect ATI/NV to make them work just like you do heh)

Well I found a loooooooong thread over on www.rage3d.com about folks having similar issues with their ATI cards of all different sorts (and mb's of all different sorts) (and in fact some nvidia owners as well) and I will have to try their suggestions (all 4000 of them, or at least it seems like 4000). I will report back here with my results.

S&M

I had same problems with my 9800pro.

Some times it worked and some times it didnt.

But there is something in bios that makes it, but could never figure out what.

I know have X800 and havent had one problem since.

Something is wierd with 9800pro.

Just installed fresh copy of XP Pro SP2 and not a single crash so far playing Nascar2003. Truely believe its a W2K/ATI driver problem with some 9800 Pros.

Hey moose&squirrel

What timings do you have your Mushkin Dimms set at in the BIOS? I was having the same issue with my setup using Mushkin L1 black line dimms and once I set the timings to the 2-3-2-10 recommended settings for a NF3 chipset, all crashing and other system erros went away. Seems that Mushkin dimms like to be at their exact settings and not an 'auto' setting.

Also, your CPU seems to be running a little hot. I am using stock AMD cooling with my 3200+ along with minor overclocking as of late, and I am still only seeing temps at around 38C. Just something to think about..

MC:)

Well thats assuming the temp is being reported correctly :P

I haven't yet updated my BIOS.

I had some sound issues again today in counter-strike...I'm thinking of trying out a sound card just to see...

I'll see about messing around with the timings, I've never played around with those :O

Again thank you all for your input :)

S&M

Guest ZigZag

12 amps on the 12 v is way inadequate.

Even a 9800 Pro draws off the meager PSU he has via the 4 pin molex. Then the AMD64 is drawing constantly with a 4pin & 20 pin molex.

Def the problem here, not drivers.

Having similar problems myself, Had my nf3 250gb for about 2 weeks now. Mine locks up randomly even when not gaming. Seems after I reset the CMOS i can have it running for days at a time. However if I turn off my computer or reboot my monitor goes blank, but it is still booting. If i leave it long enough it will logon to windows, all the while the light on my monitor keeps flashing, till I reset the CMOS again. Now obviously this sounds like a GFX card problem, but I can run it fine on my old P4 machine. Im going to try older drivers, have tried 67.03 and 70.90.

Maybe you could try different drivers, or a different card if you have one. Hopefully that fixes it for me, will let you know.