Sign in to follow this  
Katch

Camcorders and Video Stuff - Help?

Hi guys,

Ok so of tech related things I suddenly find myself stumbling blindly into an area about which I know very little (read - might as well be nothing)

I'm starting an English and Media production degree soon and the course contains a hefty element of video production. Great thinks me, time to get a camcorder. Then i realised they come in a hell of a lot of flavours and I don't know what any of them taste like!

I have a computer which is well up to the task (See spec - mmmmm 6800GT) What I could use some help with is what features to look for in a camcorder and what software to buy.

I'm also mystified as to how I transfer the footage from the camera to my computer and what formats I'll be working in.

Any input or advice happily recieved.

Tnx

I'm a Sony fan when it comes to camcorders and digital cameras.

I've had a Sony digital camcorder for several years and have had very few problems with it. I've got the kind that uses "HI-8" tapes.... but it stores the stuff in digital form. My only real complaints are that the tapes take forever to rewind and the built in speakers pick up too much camera noise. The noise is fine for home movies and stuff with lots of background noise but when I make videos of individual people talking I've found it helpful to use an external mic.

My camcorder uses firewire to transfer stuff to the computer. I think some of the newer ones use USB..... I haven't really looked at them in a while. I think most transfer the video and save it as a .AVI file. Most software will give you a variety of file types when you go to convert your movie.... everything from streaming .wmf to dvd. I usually use MPEG so they'll play nice with Powerpoint. Note.... Powerpoint sucks for multimedia content.... but that's what my church is currently using and so that's what I need to make files for.

As for software.... my first pick would be "Vegas". Look for the "Vegas + DVD" pack. Since you're a student you should be able to get a good deal. I'm currently using "Screenblast Movie Studio". It's based on the Vegas engine but it's made for us budget-conscious non-student types. *sigh*

Just my opinions.....

Wow thanks for the heads up on the Vegas software suite - Looks like just what I'll need. I had been told about Final Cut Pro as being the best for video editing but its MAC only so thats out.