Help With XP-M Coniguration.

CyberFlas

Hi, I'm planning on purchasing a new system soon. I want to make a budget gaming system. At first I was looking at getting a Sempron 2400+ because it only costs 60 dollars. Then I found out how well Athlon XP-M's overclock and their performance (post overclocking.)

I had a few questions before I decided to buy. I am looking into purchasing a Athlon XP-M 2400+ OEM as it is $76.00 on NewEgg. I wanted to know if this Athlon XP-M will overclock as well as chips in the past, I've heard that the newer chips don't overclock well. I also wanted to know if this was a good price for the chip. Next I wanted to know which motherboard is the best for overclocking this chip (maybe the top three and how they will handle the chip.) I also wanted to know if getting the best motherboard for overclocking Athlon XP-M's will matter now if the chip itself cannot overclock well anymore. I also wanted to know what cooling I should get for the system (what's the best heatsink, what's the best cheap heatsink.) Lastly, I wanted to know what ram i should purchase. Please keep in mind I want to keep this system as cheap as possible while making the best performance. If possible, could you guys show me the best configuration, then the cheapeast best configuration?

Also, if this system costs too much money; should I look into getting a Sempron? Or is the Sempron a poor choice? Can Sempron overclock at all? Thanks for all the help guys.

Gaming rig?

best configuration, then the cheapeast best configuration?
With wording like that, my guess is few people are going to bother to spend the time and effort to write all that sort of information out.
(post overclocking.)
Overclocking does not fit in the same sentence or paragraphs with these words.
cheap as possible

Most folks that are honest will point you to a ready made rig that has all the parts sorted out and save you money in the long run when every word of your buying criteria is cheap and cheapest. It just ain't going to happen.

The 'second' you step up to an NF2 chipset and dream to overclcock you have memory considerations and power supplies to sort out that preclude using the words 'cheap'. Almost every user that has come in here with 'value ram' in mind has had heartaches from the get go. Get you a ready made and enjoy your computering. Best advice I know to give when dreaming.

Sincerely, RGone...:confused: as usual.

Please keep in mind I want to keep this system as cheap as possible while making the best performance. If possible, could you guys show me the best configuration, then the cheapeast best configuration?

I hope that these two articles won't "fail" you and that after you have digested the details you will realize why no one person could possibly take the time to answer your question.

www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2282

http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/system-guide-200411.ars

...you still failed to answer my questions...

Egads, bag the computer stuff and get yourself into law school! :shake:

Originally posted by CyberFlas

Fine, what is the best possible setup i can have. Despite the 'flaws' in my statements, you still failed to answer my questions about the potential of xp-m's that can be purchased today.

you failed coz u didn't google for it

there are plenty of topics around regarding xp-ms

I have googled to look for answers to my questions. But no article I have found has told me whether the current Athlon XP-M chips overclock as well as they did in the past. If we can get past my silly initial post, I would like some help on the topic. What motherboard should I get for maximum 'overclockability'? Is the XP-M 2400+ a good chip to overclock with? What heatsink should I get to ensure my cpu runs cool. Will Mushkin PC3200 Basic 2.5-4-4 provide me with good results?

The Infinity, and the Landparty B have proven to be "the best" if not among the best NFII platform overclockers. And will do so without serious modding for the most part.

The XP-M 2600's are enjoying the best reputation as being high overclockers, Your skills and parts will determine the results. Check out what is available at ExcaliberPC as they often have mobiles fron around the first of the year. The IQYHA steppings seem to have the best reputation. As in all 'putering YMMV.

(although I have not heard that the later offerings do no perform)

The memory you mention probably will not give you the 'best' results as these boards love low latentcy memories, those rated at 2-2-2-5, 2-2-2-6 seem to perform best here. Do a search for best memory on this forum and you will see extended discussions on the subject, It has been beaten to death. LOL :nod:

Unfortunately what is considered "The Best" memory for these boards i.e. BH-5 is no longer produced, and when available 2nd hand proves to be very expensive. Adequate alternatives are available, search button is your friend.

Heatsink? Again this has been discussed here in depth, hard to go wrong with thermalright........

Do your research and you will find the answers to your questions!

Good Luck :angel:

One thing I forgot to mention is that if you are going to put together a system with these boards, a high quality 500W + PSU with strong ratings on all the rails is a necessity if any good results from overclocking is to be expected. These babies demand lots of juice.

I hope you do well with whatever you may choose. :cool:

Oldfaht

P.S. Again do some searching for the preferred PSU's around here.

Hi CyberFlas iam running a mobile 2600 from 0347 thats 2003 and week 47 one of the older ones and never had any problems with it.It overclocks great.I read a little here and there about how the newer ones are doing,and from what i here is people are having good luck with them also.My advice would be to spend a few dollars more and get a 2600 insted of the 2400.

Got the BH-5 baby,still testing

2x256 Corsair 3200LLPTv1.1

no less then a quality 420w psu, like thermaltake (pretty good but not the best) Antec or similar. An infinity, mobile 24 35W, bh-5- its worth the cost in the end. I am sure some people will have some for sale. Also, for a limited time mushkin has more bh-5 for sale. You may want to look into the OCZ Voltmasters, but be prepared to volt mod your board to ge the 3.5-3.6v they perform best on.