Sign in to follow this  
Shad0w

DFI Lanparty NFII problem

Hi, this is my first time posting here, I have searched the forums looking to see if anyone else has or had the same problem, and all's i found was http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...on&pagenumber=1

Allright, my motherboard arrived last week, I pulled my current computer apart (Upgrading slowly), and put the new one togeather (just the bear essentials to test it, MB, CPU, RAM and Video Card), I turned it on, and the screen didnt go, neither did the keyboard lights, and all 4 LED's on the MB were on, At first i thought it might be the gfx card, so I whiped it out, and turned it back on, expecting it to beep, to my suprise it didnt and all 4 LED's were still going, I repeated it with the RAM, and then the CPU, still nothing...

I contacted my suplyer and they sent out another MB, and the exact same thing happens... Any help or advise ya can give me is appreciated

Specs:

CPU: Duron 1Ghz (I Read about having to force set you FSB to 100Mhz, but I cant due to the screen not going on, so I cant set it (unless when the jumpers off its 100mhz :confused: ))

Video Card: TnT2 Model 64, 32MB, AGP x4 (have a Radeon 9600 coming)

RAM: KingMax 512MB DDR500

Thanks

read the stickies and the rules

make a sig

CPU: Duron 1Ghz (I Read about having to force set you FSB to 100Mhz, but I cant due to the screen not going on, so I cant set it

there's a red 100FSB jumper between the cpu socket and AGP slot.

Load Optimized Defaults in the bios?

set timings so the memory is CAS2/CAS2.5? (NF2 doesnt like CAS3 much)

removed and re-seated all parts (CPU/Vid/RAM etc)?

done a minimal install (only cpu/ram/vid, outside the case etc)?

your sig is too thin. which bios? what ram timings? what voltages?

Is their a link that i can find out where to set these RAM timings etc?, if its through the BIOS, my screen doesnt turn on, so I cant see the BIOS

The BIOS is: Phoenix-AwardBIOS (cant find anymore information coz they screen doesnt turn on so I can get into the BIOS!)

Yes i do have it pluged in, and im using a L&C Technolagy Inc, Model: LC-B400ATX, I have also tried another PSU to see if that was the problem.

@Angry_Gamer: the ram is CAS3..

Maybe try...

clearing CMOS (unplugged without battery)

hitting reset (as suggested in linked thread)

holding insert key while booting

sticking ram in different slots

different vid card

different ram

reseat everything

connect cpu fan to molex instead of mobo header

or of course.... offering sacrifices to various gods. (Talk to Soundx98 about cheap costume rental) :eek: :eek2:

just some thoughts.....

k0n

Originally posted by king of nothing

Maybe try...

clearing CMOS (unplugged without battery)

hitting reset (as suggested in linked thread)

holding insert key while booting

sticking ram in different slots

different vid card

different ram

reseat everything

connect cpu fan to molex instead of mobo header

or of course.... offering sacrifices to various gods. (Talk to Soundx98 about cheap costume rental) :eek: :eek2:

just some thoughts.....

k0n

Tried Clearing CMOS, hit reset god knows how many times :P

It doesnt boot, so holding insert is a waste of time

Tried sticking ram in diff slots

New Video card should arrive on monday, will try that when it comes

All my friends have old comps, and only have SD Ram @[email protected]; or i would have tried that long ago

Reseated everything a few times

this sacrifice you speak of, what should i sacrifice, and what kinda costumes does this Soundx98 have that you speak of? lol

As I understand it, the computer fails to post?

So, because of this, you can't check or change the ram timings or find the bios. I asume its running the bios it was shipped with? You havn't been able to flash to a new bios.

The ram should automatically change speed to be insync with the cpu. You can't set the speed manualy as you can't even get into bios. And I belive that it should change its timings too, according to the SPD chip on it on the ram sticks.

Even if it is set to CAS 3, it would still post wouldn't it?

I'd guess your also running standard voltages for cpu, ram and nb.

-xoddoza

How can I say this to where it is the most understood. The board you have in hand is designed in large part to run faster than any other NF2 board made. Most certainly in terms of front side buss.

It has definite likes and dislikes for memory. No other way to say that. It has been a while since I fooled with the board on a daily basis but in my memory are a couple of things keep coming back to mind.

1. Sometimes the boards like Durons ok and sometimes not.

2. If the Cas is 3.0 for that memory and that memory cannot run 2.5 Cas or greater when trying to boot up. The board will not crank up. 8 out of 10 times it works that way for some reason.

I imagine after all the failed starts that the bios is likely corrupted now and will have to be re-flashed to have any joy and it is a shame you do not have a plain old stick of TSOP style PC2100 ram to use to get it up.

If you are unable to make some adjustments to your setup; I do not expect good for you.

Sincerely, RGone...:confused: as usual.

Originally posted by RGone

How can I say this to where it is the most understood. The board you have in hand is designed in large part to run faster than any other NF2 board made. Most certainly in terms of front side buss.

It has definite likes and dislikes for memory. No other way to say that. It has been a while since I fooled with the board on a daily basis but in my memory are a couple of things keep coming back to mind.

1. Sometimes the boards like Durons ok and sometimes not.

2. If the Cas is 3.0 for that memory and that memory cannot run 2.5 Cas or greater when trying to boot up. The board will not crank up. 8 out of 10 times it works that way for some reason.

I imagine after all the failed starts that the bios is likely corrupted now and will have to be re-flashed to have any joy and it is a shame you do not have a plain old stick of TSOP style PC2100 ram to use to get it up.

If you are unable to make some adjustments to your setup; I do not expect good for you.

Sincerely, RGone...:confused: as usual.

So if i have a plain old stick of PC2100, I can set the latency's for all the RAM etc?, so your basicly saying im saved if I have a old stick of DDR Ram?

I mean is thats whats causing it not to boot, and the screen not to go on?

Cheers, Shad0w