Games keep on crashing in new Nvidia 6800GT

I just got a 6800Gt and my games keep on crashin with it. I tried the new 66.93 drivers and the 61.77. City of Heroes and Call of Duty keeps on crashing after a few minutes into the game. Both games are updated with patches and worked perfectly with my old ATI 9600XT. Both my videocard and CPU are currently NOT overclocked. Fast write is already disabled.

UPDATE: I re-installed the new drivers that NVidia released (66.93) and I have not encountered any crashing problems since.

shouldnt be the power supply, as OCZ are pretty good.

only thought would be agp aperature, and dedicated molex, driver issue.

Also check your 12V line.

speedfan, and or the smartguardian.

mine dipped to 11.4 when both Hard ocing the cpu and gpu.

Aperature is currently at 256MB, should I reduce it back to 128MB?

The OCZ powerstream have dedicated molexes (which are sheided and has ferrites) for the harddisks and videocard, so it must be my drivers. I have tried exchanging several drivers and still no go. Any more suggestions? My last resort will have to be to reformat the computer :sad:

How are they crashing? Back to desktop? Freezes? Resets?

Does it occur at similar points in the game? Like graphics intensive parts?

Does it happen after similar lengths of time? Does aiming a fan at your graphics card and/or memory help?

Its going out the desktop. It happens at random points in the game and random times. I havent tried putting an external fan on it yet. My card is not overclocked, so I dont think temperatures are the source of problem. I do have a nvidia silencer coming though...I hope it solves the problem.

Any Windows error messages with the drop to desktop, or just a plain disappearance of game?

Cos if it's just a drop to desktop, it could be your memory timings are a little too tight (3DMark drops out like that). Memtest may shed some light on it, but sometimes timings can be fine in memtest, but not for games.

Also, have you tried with single memory sticks? It may not be happy with a mixture like that (even though it should be).

Originally posted by kismet28

Any Windows error messages with the drop to desktop, or just a plain disappearance of game?

Cos if it's just a drop to desktop, it could be your memory timings are a little too tight (3DMark drops out like that). Memtest may shed some light on it, but sometimes timings can be fine in memtest, but not for games.

Also, have you tried with single memory sticks? It may not be happy with a mixture like that (even though it should be).

It just drops out of games, a game-crash window pops up when it does this. I have another 512 stick coming on the way so that the uneven 256 & 512 possibility will be tested. But no problems encountered in memtest, both in standard and extended tests. Currently I've set my timings at 2-3-3-5 since one ram's default timings are 2-2-3-5 and the other is at 2-3-2-5.

I hope Nvidia makes a driver fix for this since I noticed all people who have problems with their 6800s have NF3 motherboards. Which is a bummer since I bought the 6800GT over the ATIs just because I wanted to get a matching Nvidia Videocard with my NF3 MB :mad:

Hi Gix,

I tried those fixes in that thread and the problem is still there.