Sign in to follow this  
DEESIGNS

[RESOLVED]USED M$ SYS PREP>> 48bit LBA for 250 GB HD

Ok Guys I'm a newbie and may ask a lot of dumb questions. So Don't beat me up too bad.

I just built a new PC and all because I just had to have a huge Hitachi 250Gb SATA drive I am gettin crazy trying to figue out how to get it set up. I Was going to use Win 2k and already loaded it and set up a boot partion. The partition size is 127GB ( one of the selections besides 8 Gb) Hitachi says Must use 46bit addressing to recognize drives over 127GB. The Bios recognizes the HD as 250 but in Disk management it says 127 Gb. I have Win XP SP2 on the way and will re-format. I understand Fdisk is not the way to go with a large HD and just deleting a partition can reduce the HD size. File system is now NTFS. Is that the same as 46bit? I did load the Nvidia drivers but not really sure how to set them up. i.e. mirroring? etc. If I enable the RAID and reboot it shows the HD as being 135Gb. I am confused. Can ya help a dummy out? :confused:

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

LBA48 not 46 may have thrown some off in answering. Plus Win2K has caused some problems due to its' tight security crap in recognizing devices.

Use Sata 3 port and turn on for safety sake sata 1/2 and 3/4 in the Genie bios. Do not enable raid as you do not plan to use it with a single drive.

You will need to ensure you have your HDD boot devices chosen correctly and then the correct ordering of 'all' boot devices as well.

In theory there will be no drivers loaded at F6 during the loading of WinXP SP2, which I think you have on the way.

That should about get you ready for WinXP/SP2.

Sincerely, RGone...:confused: as usual.

Sorry about the typo's meant to write 48bit the first time. There is also a site 48bitLBA.com that has some good info. Thanks for all your help

There is a patch available from Microsoft that sorts all this out. Your PC supports it no doubt, most have since the days of the 440LX chipset, you just need to apply it.

Thanks all for your help. I used a download from Microsoft called Sys Prep and edited the .ini files to correct the problem it now recognizes my HD as 250Gb. Have had some other issues with WinBlows XP Pro SP2 giving me Registry error messages concering my Epson scanner when logging in to the other users profiles. When I gave the other users Admin authority and logged back in to each of them it corrected the problem. I also had to re-install the Scanner.

...glad you got it all sorted out. So many people cannot do as you did and take the general idea of what must be fixed with the software to make it all work but you did and congrats.

Sincerely, RGone...:confused: as usual.