Need some help to get past the petty OC's

Juggernaut

Hi, ye i'm new, but i've been browsing for about 2 weeks now.

Recently upgraded to the rig listed below.

So far i have had several MSI and ASUS boards, with only limited OC'ing abilities.

Of course with this DFI one the options are numerous, and the limit skyhigh.

But i'm having troubly right after liftoff :(

Here's the setting: I have it on Cas 2, but the rest of the Dimm settings are on auto. I have all non used hardware or chips disabled, such as sata ports 1 & 2. Cpu thermal trottling and cool n quiet are off as well.

With a Vcore of 1,55, Vdimm of 2,7 and the agp slot on 67mhz, i can only get a stable OC up to 215fsb. Can run Pifast (49 second'ish), and the 3dMarks. (2001; 28000 ish with the Gpu to 535mhz)

But anything higher, and i mean just a single fsb more and i either get instant reboots, or screen lockups.

I have raised the Vcore to 1,65, and the Vdimm to 2,8 but that didn't help. Raised the Cas to 3 to see if that made a difference but it didn't. Everything else cpu or dimm is set to auto in the bios.

In Pifast the score got less and less the higher the Vcore and Vdimm...:confused:

Cpu temp peaks @ 47... idle 37C

So basically i seem to be stuck @ 215 max. Regardless of Vcore or Vdimm.

What i'm trying to achieve is

a) a good speedy Pifast Score.

B) a good 3Dmark2001/03/05 (i know 03 and 05 are more graf than rig)

Anyone any idea's? With all the options on this board, i'm basically a n00b :S

>

2x512mb Mushkin level 1 pc3500
is probably the problem. More or less rated to a tick or so past your 215 you have reached and it is not going to budge another notch further.

You could read this and at least manually set the 4 'known' memory timings instead of using AUTO...

You got to start to tweak your own setup because few of us will be buying Level 1 stuff when we are dreaming of +250Htt/fsb speeds and hence we will have perhaps little to nO experience with your ram and timings.

Sincerely, RGone...:confused: as usual.

funny, i got my setup to 231HT 1:1 and 10x multip. stable with auto settings for ram .... and i got cheapass samsung TCC4 ... i wanna invest in some good memory... i wanna make 2.5ghz on my 3000+ CG

Originally posted by stowenrat

Try enabling sata 1&2 even though you are not using them.

What good will that do?

Originally posted by RGone

>is probably the problem. More or less rated to a tick or so past your 215 you have reached and it is not going to budge another notch further.

You could read this and at least manually set the 4 'known' memory timings instead of using AUTO...

You got to start to tweak your own setup because few of us will be buying Level 1 stuff when we are dreaming of +250Htt/fsb speeds and hence we will have perhaps little to nO experience with your ram and timings.

Sincerely, RGone...:confused: as usual.

Yes i know the ram aint that great... but it's not sucky either.... I already had the ram as my handbrake in mind. When a cpu crap itself it's almost always an instant autoreboot. The ram freezes stuff, gives you bsod, and just hangs the system.

I'm happy the dfi has an agp lock, so that part is out of the q.

Better ram coming next month... (OCZ 3700EB)

quote:Originally posted by stowenrat

Try enabling sata 1&2 even though you are not using them.

'What good will that do?'

It is known that using sata 1&2 limits fsb so the advice is to use 3 or 4, which you are, but I am sure I read somewhere that you should leave 1&2 enabled anyway. Can't hurt to try it!

:) Sometimes you guys just forking kill me.

I probably should not even answer this thread. Entitled> "Help me get past my petty overclocks." But the logic and reasoning some of you guys use; just flat @ss amazes me. And your reasoning is what keeps you forever wondering what in h*ll is happening.

1. You say your are noobish on the board or to overclocking. Ok good.

2. You say your board is stable at 215FSB or a 15FSB overclock on the board design but right at the 'rated limit' of the memory.

3. So memory is fine up to about its' rated speed and if it were not I would say almost immediately that it should be replaced but it is borderline.

4. I say to you that it is likely the memory. You say it the memory is not too "sucky". Well sucky is as sucky does. Does the memory reach the RATED speed and rated timings? Simple Yes or No would be fine. Will it reach rated speed and timings at 3.0V on the memory? Simple Yes or No would be fine.

5. What law physical or otherwise, ensures one that memory will run faster than its' rating? Right. None.

6. So we got "petty overclock" with memory running basically by SPD and EB3700 on the way to address the 'petty overclock'.

7. Wow, EB3700 set by SPD is suddenly going to overclock? Maybe and maybe not.

8. For sure according to all I have read of other users pushing the EB stuff is that it will not begin to run towards the sky without adjusting it and without puttting voltage to it of more than 3.1V usually and that a fan needs to be blowing on it to cool it because it 'does run hot'.

9. But one thing is certain, you will have to do some adjusting to get that memory to run well too. I am a "noob" to this board statements are not going to *impress* your setup at all and force it to suddenly leave the 'petty overclocks' behind.

You say well RGone... that is really sort of harsh man! I say BS! Overclocking has no guarantees what so ever. Zero! Research. Attention to details. Procurement of good parts. Trial and error to the extent of the individual is nearly worn out. All of these things coupled with an attitude of I will get this done myself is what makes the big boys just what they are; the big boys.

How do I know any of this? I have done it. I have had failures that far exceed the successes. Countless times. But I prepared for the successes by going thru the failures.

The latest example of success by failure was my swap to some TCCD memory. Right. Gawds gift to overclocking the UT250gb board. H*ll, I am plenty prepared right? Wrong! Slapped the new TCCD stuff in and it is possible that I could have sticks made with new Samsung memory modules or old memory modules. Humh? What to do? H*ll, I am no noob so let us just get this done. Hehehehe. Famous last words of an impending fork up!!!

Rated memory voltage for TCCD and same old "good", micron memory module timings and such are all setup and plug the TCCD stuff in and set it for 280x9 which is the area in which I planned to test and turn that baby ON. Any guesses? Right. RELOAD WinXP. Wiped. Zapped. Dorked. WinXP gone!

So now what to do? Well for one do some research and I did. Newer memory meant likely it would "need" higher volts even though older TCCD did nOt. One down. TCCD can vary and want timings all its' own at elevated busses. So I called one I can trust to be logical and asked him what in h*ll he had to set his new TCCD to and his answers floored me. I said you are shetting me!

So I poured the minimum 3.2Volts to the memory he recommended and loosened the timings to 'exactly' what he said he used and BINGO. 285x9 and humming. Since then I have adjusted the timings (trial and error W/BSODs) for the rest of my setup and to better accomodate my video cards habits. But it was my presumption that the memory just HAD to work like I thought it should that put me in the reloading of Windows business and cussing TCCD as crap.

Then reversion to real logic and reasoning prevailed and adjustments followed and now TCCD is the stuff of immenence again in my mind.

Logical, methodical and thorough useage is the only path to being released from "petty overclocks". And the prinicples never have changed. And still no guarantees. Maybe this will help move many to do the nuts and bolts before the finished unit appears as it is always a step by step endeavor.

Good luck man.

Sincerely, RGone... :confused: as usual.

:)

The latest example of success by failure was my swap to some TCCD memory. ...

So now what to do? ...

So I poured the minimum 3.2Volts to the memory he recommended and loosened the timings to 'exactly' what he said he used

so what are the timings u used on your ballistix?

:) Sometimes you guys just forking kill me.

Good luck man.

Sincerely, RGone... :confused: as usual.

Read it 3x now,... still can't figure out half of what you're trying to say...

I think what you're trying to say is,... do it yourself step by step?

Correct me if i'm wrong tho...

And as to your Q to the ram. It doesn't reach the speeds it's supposed to at the default voltages. Being Vdimm 2.6 With Cas 2, 3-3-6

Indeed i have to pump it up to Vdimm 2.8 if it's going to run at those speeds. But than it won't even go past an fsb of 208. Everything higher is unstable and gets me BSOD.

Originally posted by juggernaut Read it 3x now,... still can't figure out half of what you're trying to say...

I think what you're trying to say is,... do it yourself step by step?

Correct me if i'm wrong tho...

And as to your Q to the ram. It doesn't reach the speeds it's supposed to at the default voltages. Being Vdimm 2.6 With Cas 2, 3-3-6

Indeed i have to pump it up to Vdimm 2.8 if it's going to run at those speeds. But than it won't even go past an fsb of 208. Everything higher is unstable and gets me BSOD.

may i make a suggestion . ur prolly going to need to change the Cas 2 you are running to at least 2.5 that mem timing is prolly too tight . If you are going to overclock the ram past it's stock speeds more likey your going to loosen the timings and crankup the voltage . I have no experience with the board yet first hand so i myslef cant give u anything to base off of . Jus loosen the setting and fool around with it Trial and Error.