Dead NF2 Ultra Infinity

I am new to DFI boards. I have had my NF2 board for about 8 months now. About 3 months ago I did a normal power down and my machine never posted after that. I tried all the components in a spare motherboard and everything worked. Donna was nice enough to RMA the board for me and when I got it back all was great. About 3 weeks ago the same thing happened again. RGone had me send in my bios for a fresh flash. Got it back and it still did not work. So Donna once again RMA'd my board.

Yes there is a question here.....Is this a "common" problem with this board? If so is there a way to prevent this from happening again? Short of not shutting down my computer.

Custom made water cooling rig

or

maybe bad power line? ie: get a decent surge protector/line conditioner, or plug it in somewhere else and see if same thing happens. Its not normal at all for board to die like this. Sounds like something is happening at some point to kill them

(i lived about 2 blocks from a power station and our place got power surges really bad every week or two...killed a few computer components and even a tv, radio and coffee maker...needless to say we moved lol)

I have an APC surge supressor that cost me 60 bucks. My powersupply is an Aopen 420 watt. The water cooler has been in this machine with 2 other boards and I have never had a leak. If it did I would have lost my FX card. This past time it died I was using a Volcano 9 because I did not put the water setup back on since last time I got the board back.

I don't mean to soud short, but I have been doing this for quite a while. I have built over 100 computers and have been overclocking and modding my own machines for almost 5 years now... I have never had a board die after performing a normal shutdown.

everybody gets tweaked when their shett fails. So would I, is true statement of fact. However this question in reality has no real answer!

Is this a "common" problem with this board? If so is there a way to prevent this from happening again?

Common problem? I would not hesitate at this moment to say NO and for the reasons you yourself can see in the same area I would look at. You don't see the problem of dead boards every 3 to 8 months in these forums. One place to base my answer from.

Second place to base an answer from is my daily vision of the tech support emails over the last 2-3 months and the ones I can see are from about 90% of all LpB and Ui's sold around the world and I see no trend.

Prevention? What was the cause? What was wrong with the first board you sent in? Yep, don't know! Now if during the RMA process we had seen your board fail the first time for X and now again for X> a pattern might be assumed and preventative measures instituted, but we have no such database even from your single board exploits.

I could speculate on your setup in particular but see not sense in it because speculate would be the operative by-word.

There is one question that you might however answer for me. How long is a board supposed to last when it is run out of specification? How would one spec a board to run outside the specifications; when specifications relate to just that, running in spec?

Sincerely, RGone...:confused: as usual.

As you stated, I did not get a direct cause when I last sent in my board. I am not sure if I will this time.

As far as being run out of spec, I imagine I run my hardware a little tame compared to some of the hardcore tweakers here. Most of the time I run my 2500 as a 3200. Only 200 FSB with only a slight volt tweak to the cpu for stability sake. I am a manufacturing engineer and have had a round or two with failure analysis. Not always finding a satifying answer.

The use of the word "common" was perhaps to strong. Basically I am looking for "anyone" who has had a similar problem and what their solution was. I too searched the forums here as well as a couple of other well respected forums I have belonged to for years now, and came up unsatisfied. So tweaked I am.