Sign in to follow this  
gymrat777

What happens if (O/C question)...

I was never really interested in O/C my computer much until I started reading the threads here. My main concern prior to starting is that I am unsure of what happens when I o/c and what the possible rammifications are to o/c. I, of course, understand the heat factor and I know I will have to make sure that my chip and other computer hardware are not exceeding a 'reasonable' temperature, but other than that, I am unsure of what will happen if I over-overclock.

Another question about air cooling. I have seen some nice copper heatsinks around both with and w/o fans. What is everyones feeling on the effectiveness of heatsinks w/o fans?

Thanks for your input.

What is everyones feeling on the effectiveness of heatsinks w/o fans?

The ones you see without fans are allowing you to customize the fan you put on it. You need a fan, unless you have some amount of distain for your CPU and wish to kill it.

For mild overclocking, lets say under 2.4, I'd suggest the Zalman 7000 Cu or 7000 AlCu. Huge surface area, 92mm fan, very quiet, easy to install.

make sure you have everything important backed up to non-corruptable media (dvd/cd disk)

make sure you have proper power supply that can handle stress of overclocking

make sure you have adequate cooling (Thermalright heatsinks + good 80mm/92mm fans work the best)

make sure you have a lot of patience and the ability to read as much info as you possibly can and do it right (ie: thoroughly test each step of the overclock to make sure its stable).

finally...make sure you have a backup for your bios (BIOS Saviour, extra bios chip, another board to hotflash your bios chip on) in case of bios corruption