SATA drive disappears sometimes

Of the ones of you in this thread with a problem; do you see the thing that is basically the same for each of you?

Corsair TwinX1024-4000 Pro (3-4-3-7) 2.8v
1GB PC3200 Corsiar Value Select
2x512 Corsair/Kingston, BH-5, slots 1/3
512MB Corsair XMS3200XLPT
1024MB Corsair Value Select PC3200 @ 2.8V

Do you see it? What memory name appears five times?

One user in the forums reported getting away from the stuff and getting other memory and those strange things quit happening. But five of you in a row with the 'common' problem to each of you has also that common memory.

RGone...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what caused my problem reported in my earlier post, and how I cleared it.

In the Genie BIOS Settings panel, there's a couple more settings for the SATA connectors:

SATA 1/SATA 2 Control -- This field is used to enable or disable SATA 1 and/or SATA 2.

SATA 3/SATA 4 Control -- This field is used to enable or disable SATA 3 and/or SATA 4.

I had disabled SATA 1/SATA 2 control because the drives for my array are on SATA 3/4; figured I didn't need SATA 1/SATA 2 enabled. When 1/2 are disabled, flipping over to the main BIOS screen, this appears to show my drives connected to the external phy drive positions as single non-RAID. Under this setting, I randomly lost my array.

Re-enabling the SATA 1/SATA 2 control fixed the "problem", even if I have nothing connected to SATA ports 1/2. When 1/2 are enabled, the main BIOS screen shows the external and internal drive ports (non raid), with no drives attached.

Running fine with two 74GB Raptors in RAID 0 on port 3/4 ever since 11/23/04.

I've had the same problem, 2 raptors on 3 and 4 with the sata 1 and 2 disabled. On the boot they would show connected to sata 1 and 2 (I had a post this earlier but had no replies). After disconecting the P/S, on the next boot it will not detect the Raptor on sata 1 (that's really connected to sata 3 I think). If I reset at that point, it will boot fine the second time. This is a problem that I can reproduce every time.. I'll try re-enabling sata 1 and 2 in the genie bios and see what happens.

R Gone, I also had noticed the "corsair" showing up in all the sigs. but I got away from them a while ago, and even with the OCZ I've got the same thimg going on.

Problem with enabling 1 and 2 is overclock will be limited to 240MHz even though no drives are connected - at least on my system.

I've found increasing the chipset voltage to 2.9v lets the system boot up cleanly 95% of the time but if it's really cold - below 50F. you have to reset once or twice.

Problem with enabling 1 and 2 is overclock will be limited to 240MHz even though no drives are connected - at least on my system.

Have raid again on Sata 3 and 4; using 2x80gig Hitachi Drives and have had single 80gig Hitachi drive attached to Sata 3 by itself and have never experienced and over-clock limit at all and I never turn off any sata in the Genie bios and during raid operations I never turn off any of the sata at IDE raid functions. Have never used sata 1 and 2 as that is usually not even bootable at over 240FSB so you 'do know' when you reach that limit on sata 1 and 2. Currently running 260x10 with PdP/Patriot 400/533 tCCD ddr memony and 530 watt Fortron with 3.5=3.3V; 5.14=5V and 12.38=12V and Vcore=1.84V; Vagp=1.7V; Vdimm=3.2V and Vdd=1.8V. Until I put the rail stabilized Fortron supply in I had cold boot and overclocking problems galore and could consitently hear fan speed changes and the like. Power is a must for these systems.

RGone...

Originally posted by RGone

Of the ones of you in this thread with a problem; do you see the thing that is basically the same for each of you?

Do you see it? What memory name appears five times?

One user in the forums reported getting away from the stuff and getting other memory and those strange things quit happening. But five of you in a row with the 'common' problem to each of you has also that common memory.

RGone...

RGone, I havent updated my thread for a while, but those disappearing SATA problems I had happened with my old OCZ EL Platinums (Rev1).

I currently dont have the disappearing drive problem, but I dont know what I did to make it go away :P

Thanks for the info,

I’ll try enabling them again with no drives attached at 273MHz. When I first got the board I was unaware of the SATA 1, 2 issue and was trying to OC with drives attached to those ports and may never had tested the enabled but not connected option or had another issue causing problems at that time.

Generally, a BIOS is set up by the user to disable any device or port with nothing physically attached. You wouldn’t enable the parallel port if you didn't have a parallel printer or the com port with no serial device. So it stands to reason that you would not enable SATA ports with nothing attached to them, especially ports that cause overclocking problems. I won't complain if it fixes my problem though!!

I've got to say that enabling 1 and 2 seems to have fixed the problem. The system boots faster and you can hardly see the SATA drives being listed before the DMI screen. With 3 and 4 only enabled it could take 5 seconds to list the drives, a cold boot failure would happen when only one of the two were detected.

Chalk this up to another weird DFI idiosyncrasy - man if it weren't for these forums I would have junked this board long ago.

Originally posted by d2agonfly

I enabled Sata 1 & 2, and now it's working fine without my IDE drive. If I plug in my IDE drive, it just hang at the POST. Any one else having this problem?

I updated the BIOS to 10/15

No issues here. In addition to the 2x74GB Raptors in RAID 0 on ports 3/4, I run an IDE HD drive rack as master on my IDE channel. Specs in sig. Using NVIDIA IDE driver as well.

Have you tried clearing CMOS then rebooting?