Sign in to follow this  
gymrat777

Difference between hardware manufacturers

So in my research for a new video card, I have been pondering the question, "How much difference does it make which manufacturer makes the hardware piece?" I mean, is there that much difference between an Asus ATI Radeon 9600XT and a Diamond ATI Radeon 9600XT? Is there a difference in other components, such as Kingston RAM vs Corsair RAM vs Generic? How much difference is there and, in your experience, is it worth the extra money for the additional performance?

case in point for Radeon 9700Pro...

one mfg used crappy infineon junk bga ram that wouldnt overclock worth a damn, and the card was about $250

one mfg used decent (but still kinda crappy) hynix bga ram and it overclocked a little...but not anything spectacular...but nothing insulting either...card was about $269

one mfg used some great samsung bga ram that was incredible for overclocking...card was about $299 (and had a decent sink on it plus some bga ramsinks)

all had same gpu...3 different cards though with different sinks + different bga memory...

google around and look around some forums and find out which cards are better than others of the same line.

my view is that you almost always get what you pay for...rarely you get something for nothing (not really for nothing but you know...a $105 R9500NP that flashed to a $400 R9700P!)

I am in agreement with A_G on this. I have been in the mfg game and different compaines make the same type of cards but use different components to make it. So same product differant perfourmance (sp) and different oppions on the product. So you will get fanboys/girls.

So most of the time you do get what you pay for, but sometimes yuo find that gem in the ruff.:nod: :rolleyes:

yep...they all follow the reference designs (thats why all FX and ATI cards generally look exactly alike, as do most motherboards with certain chipsets)

the components (and quality of components) is really the only thing that sets each mfg apart...and most of the time they all use darn near the same exact components =/