62watt Mobiles

thx for replying everyone!!

Rgone: actually this is on wc; temps are 38°C at full load.

It's just that the 1024 versus the 512kb and the possibility to oc it higher are appealing.

I know there isn't a fix answer, that's why I asked what you guys would do in my case.

you are right about the memcontroller, my bh5 does great on this: 240htt at 2-2-2-10 at 3.0V, but that's not a garantee it will do great on a new chip (still used to nf2 where memcontroller was on mobo).

RacerX: did you get to bench the 2 systems?

Still doubting for the moment, somebody give me push in either direction :D

edit: I live in Belgium so Newegg isn't really an option, nice price though, but if you add 25% import-tax and a really pricy shipment...kinda takes the point away;)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dentnvr6,

I know the feeling... I live in New Zealand so NewEgg is a look-but-dont-touch window shopping experience for me too.

If you are prepared to pay ~$20 USD for shipping you can buy a 3400 Mobile from ExcaliberPC of the same week as the one at NewEgg (the picture at NewEgg says 0437XPDW, the one at ExcaliberPC is 0437XDMW).

I guess it comes down to what you use your PC for.... if it's gaming or benching the 1MB may come in handy, and seeing as you already have water cooling you will be able to feed the mobile more juice than RGone did on his one with air cooling.... in theory hehehe

What it comes down to is, HOW hard has the overclocking/benching/gaming addiction set in?! :)

[EDIT] changed steppings on good authority hehe

lol, now it's all clear to me, gonna order me one tonight!

And I had a stroke of luck, I did found the 3400 here in Belgium for about the same price.

Problem for me with ordering from the US is not the shipping charges, but I normally have to wait about one to two months before my customs decide to let it through.

Very pleasant.

Well I'm hopin to pick one of those 3400s up for christmas (if they still have them by then :rolleyes: ) and the prospects of 2.7+GHz is very inticing indeed, who needs an FX right?:nod:

NewEggs got the better price, but excaliber has guaranteed stepping...but then again, they only just recently released the 3400 on week 37 so you really can't go wrong this early in the game I suppose.

But now I'm even more interested in the 90nm SOI 35watt 1MB Mobiles due out the first half of next year, but man I can't wait that long :) Then Dual Cores the second half of next year...man 2005 will be the year of AMD :D

Jus a quick update on my 3400 Mobile... she arrived las night and is indeed AMN3400BIXAR 0437XPDW stepping.

I didnt have much time/energy wen i got home from work due to a recent crazy idea of mine that I need to start going to the gym... being a pie eating programmer definately takes its toll on ye ole stamina hehehehe

Anyway... threw the CPU into the DFI UT, applied thin layer of AS5 between the core and XP-120 sink... and very tentatively clamped her down. The Mounting Bracket was sanded down before hand so contact seems to be quite nice. Put one stick in Dimm1 and booted up no worries, with idle temps of 37c @ 8x240 1.5v... didnt do much else after that due to time restraints and the fact it is still running on original BIOS.

I will update to latest 4.0v BIOS tonight and start memtesting... if time allows I will install XP aswell...

Thought of the day: "Saweeeet jezus the RAM timing options are out of control!"

Just put my order in at Newegg 3400+ mobile should arrive on Friday.

Hoping to get alittle more HTT wise out of this cpu compared to my 3400+DTR. For some reason I can bench at 10x270htt but refuses to boot with multi 9 at anything over 288htt.

Praying for 9x300htt stable.:nod:

Running my Mobile @ 2700 with 1.78V atm

Somehow I managed to leave out the last part of the stepping (thats me allright :P)

AMN3400BIX5AR

1090033I40109 | CAAXC 0437

I hope the memcontroller gets around to letting me run above 270 1:1 but it does not seem like it atm. I know the CPU is good for at least 2750 at 1.78V (load), but if I cant run 1:1 it does not give me any better performance than running like this:

31s_thumb.jpg

Edit: this is Primestable (12hours stresstest blend at least ;)), I can push it up to 274 with 1:1 but anything above 270 1:1 and Prime95 fails after 5-10 minutes

very nice AveMORphine, awesome RAM and CPU clocking there! HOW stable is it?

Still testing my one with my Buffalo RAM... the RAM maxt at 225 Prime stable on my old NF7 and does the same here so I'm thinking it's not a mem controller issue... jus mediocre RAM.

11x225 is solid with 1.55v, and havent tried lower VCore yet :)