Sign in to follow this  
gymrat777

Unrecognized Hard Drive

I am not sure if this is a MoBo issue or not, but everyone on this board has been so helpful I thought I would seek out your help.

I recently upgraded to a LanParty nF3 250Gb MoBo with A64 3k+ processor. I have three hard drives: an old IBM 7200 RPM 18Gb, a 7200 RPM 120 Gb SATA Western Digital and a 5400 RPM 60 Gb Western Digital. I loaded Windows XP home with S/P 2 onto my computer and got everything up and running with all of my programs from my old 18Gb HD working and I started loading programs onto the 120 Gb hard drive, but I cannot access my 60 Gb hard drive. When I go to device manager, the drive is in there and reads as running properly and Windows cannot find a better driver. The HD doesn't show up in 'My Computer' though. I think that it might be because I have the file format set to dynamic, but the drive worked fine with Windows 2k. Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this problem without deleting all of the files on the drive?

Thanks for your help!

ummm, no, i haven't assigned the drive a letter. The other two hard drives were assigned drive letters automatically. How do I assign the drive a letter?

You have to mount it. To do that, use any partition manager of your choice (I like to use.. Paragon Partition Manager or something like that ... you can use a trial version if you like).

I think you can somehow do this with windows only ... but I honestly dont have any clue how to.

gymrat777.... Go to the control panel look for Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Storage, Disk Management, right click on the 60gb HD and add a drive letter.

I tried adding drive letter and it did not allow me to do this without formatting the drive. I also looked at Paragon Partition Mgr but there is only a demo that only shows what would happen if I used the software. Does anyone have any ideas of how to harvest the data from the dynamic 60 Gb HD to a different, basic NTFS HD?

HELP!!!

...but more and more strangely formatted drives are showing to be non recognizable when 'just' transferred to the NF3 boards.

Basically I have only used Maxtor drives until six of them in a row would not work on Sil3114 sata on my NF2 boards.

Now using Hitachi and doing fine. BUT I never use the drive manufacturers software to 'quickly' do anything to format one of my drives and can so far swap them to NF3 or whatever with no problems. I only use Partition Magic and never Fdisk and again no problems.

If you have data on that drive you want off> my guess is you will have to put it back where it came from and remove the data to CD's or DVD's and then format the drive on the NF3 to use it and transfer the data back to it from removeable media.

Sincerely, RGone...