Flashing the BIOS... And my rails!

just for the record.. I'm using Antec 480 trupower.. I read 11.61 on software.. Multimeter shows it dead on the money 12.0 I nearly bought a new PSU after reading some of the Antec comments.. I'm just glad I got my hands on the old Fluke!! saved me some $$$ hope that helps...

Antecs are good PSU's. I have a TrueControl 550w with the voltages dialed in to 12.10, 5.05 and 3.31v. Whether I'm idling in Windows or running 3DMark, the voltages don't budge according to a multimeter. It does seem to put out rather warm air, regardless of what the system is doing, but so far it's been 8 months with no problems or need to adjust pots.

I'm thinking about ditching my Antec True 430w and getting an OCZ powerstream 520 because my 6800GT wont overclock stably anymore! ( used to do 420/1150 on my intel sys ) Seems like this AMD 64 system demands a lot more out of my poor GT. *sigh* I tested with a multimeter, and all the voltages were dead on though....maybe i need more amps though.

jess1313: I'm not retarded, thanks! ;)

I need to borrow a fluke or any DMM from someone and get some accurate readings.. It's just sad that you can't rely on the internal sensors IMO...

Almost everyone i've heard of that actually measured their antec neopower 480w (or about ANY antec PSU) with a multimeter got spot on values!

Originally posted by Blåbär

jess1313: I'm not retarded, thanks! ;)

I need to borrow a fluke or any DMM from someone and get some accurate readings.. It's just sad that you can't rely on the internal sensors IMO...

Almost everyone i've heard of that actually measured their antec neopower 480w (or about ANY antec PSU) with a multimeter got spot on values!

Oh you could get extremely accurate readings if the end users were willing to pay

for them...which they aren't lol.

Depending on what you call stop on. ATX specifications say the power supply can have

a +/- 5% variation from the specified 12, 5 and 3.3 and meet the spec. the computer

should run and function properly at -5%. The key word there is "should" lol.

Viper

I just ordered an OCZ 420 for my computer, but im currently using a 4-year old 350w enermax PS for my overclocked A64 and its pretty stable. Mine maybe a fluke but I doubt it has more power than the Antec 480w. I still dont have those power hungry Nvidia 6800s though.

Originally posted by tortie

I just ordered an OCZ 420 for my computer, but im currently using a 4-year old 350w enermax PS for my overclocked A64 and its pretty stable. Mine maybe a fluke but I doubt it has more power than the Antec 480w. I still dont have those power hungry Nvidia 6800s though.

The Enermax EG365P is a good supply and it has a 26amp 12V rail. If you check the Antec

you will probably find it is about a 20 or 22 amp 12 V rail.

Viper

Sorry for being such a noob but how do you properly take voltage measurements with a multimeter ? Is there a guide that explains that on this forum. I'd like to buy one and tests my PSU Zalman ZM400A ('cause I don't know what it's really worth), as it reports a dodgy 11.56v for the ATX +12v under SmartGuardian.

Finally, everbody here is talking about some 12v separate rails stuff... Oopss, any chance to have a clearer idea of what it is (hardware / software ?) and how it can be modded or achieved ?

Thank you ;)