Sign in to follow this  
Blåbär

Flashing the BIOS... And my rails!

Ok, let me first switch the order of the questions.

I recently bought a Antec Neopower 480W and the rail's just STINK! I mean really! the 12v=11.51, 5v=4.78, 3.3v=3.18v and so on.. The vcore's low too. Everything is super-low. What to do.. i don't think this PSU has pot's inside but i don't really know. What do you think?

second Q.

How do i flash the BIOS from windows? Or atleast w/o a floppy.. I hate floppys and do not trust them a bit. Is there any way to do it? I need to flash the BIOS b/c i want accurate temp-reading's and possibly the volt-reading's get better?!?

Help me please!

Hmm...can't comment on your PS...I have a PC PowerandCooling Turbo 510. This is one of the best power supplies on the market and I get some flacky reads using Smartguardian. There is speculation that there are issues causing poor readings. As suggested by many...test with a multimeter and see what the actual voltages are before you worry too much. However....regarding your BIOS flashing...you can flas your BIOS though Windows using the WINFLASH utility. It is on the MB packaged CD.

Ok, so i can take the readings with a grain of salt then? I remember on my NF7 w/ the Enermax 350w i got 12.40 or something and with DFI i got spot on 12. It could be at ~11.90 now if the readings are wrong.

Ok, winflash it is then. Is there something i have to worry about when flashing besides stock clocks?

It's your psu. Many A64 users have experienced a number of issues with their Antec-based units. You need a beefier powersupply to comfortably run your A64, especially if you plan on overclocking. It could be possible that Smartguardian is reading incorrectly, but you need a better psu such as an OCZ or PC&C for better results.

deception``

A beefier PSU? So a Antec 480W is'nt enough? What are you smoking? It HAS to be the readings that are f'ed up. I will kill someone if it aint! ;)

I don't trust floppies or Windows for flashing. I use a boot floppy (Win98 or ME) which creates a RAMDrive. I then copy Awardflash and the BIOS file from another floppy to the RAMDrive and execute the flash from there. No chance of failure unless the power goes out.

As for PSU's I don't think Antec is what it used to be. I had a Trupower 430 that had bulging capacitors, lucky I discovered it before it took out my components. Replaced it with a Tagan 480 and I am happy with it.

Originally posted by Blåbär

A beefier PSU? So a Antec 480W is'nt enough? What are you smoking? It HAS to be the readings that are f'ed up. I will kill someone if it aint! ;)

No, I am not joking. It is recommend that you have at least 30A on the 12+ if you're into heavy A64 overclocking. Just because your psu is new doesnt' make it sufficient. Furthermore, you should not take this as a personal attack. On the contrary, I am simply trying to inform you of what you can do to alleviate your problem and also enjoy some mhz/htt or two.

deception``

No i have'nt had the chance to test with multimeter yet as i don't own one. However the NEOPOWER has two separate 12v rail's and peak is 33A as stated by the manual. I would think it's enough else i have to RMA it b/c the net-shop i bought it from said it would be perfect for my DFI and if it's not they're to blame.

This sucks.. If a 12V1=18A 12V2=15A 480W is'nt enough and my old 350W(12v=18A) was better then shame on Antec!

edit: Oh, and i did'nt take it as a personal attack i just thought it was EXTREMELY strange that it would'nt be sufficient. :)

Oh well...

personally...im with the guys that do not trust Antec psu's anymore. Too many have been insufficient for use on the high end motherboards.

yours...might be just fine.

take it with a grain of salt what any software program says your hardware is doing...only trust a multimeter or some other true voltage/amperage/wattage device that measures.

Originally posted by Blåbär

Ok, let me first switch the order of the questions.

I recently bought a Antec Neopower 480W and the rail's just STINK! I mean really! the 12v=11.51, 5v=4.78, 3.3v=3.18v and so on.. The vcore's low too. Everything is super-low. What to do.. i don't think this PSU has pot's inside but i don't really know. What do you think?

second Q.

How do i flash the BIOS from windows? Or atleast w/o a floppy.. I hate floppys and do not trust them a bit. Is there any way to do it? I need to flash the BIOS b/c i want accurate temp-reading's and possibly the volt-reading's get better?!?

Help me please!

For starters what are you using to meter the rails with. Please do not say Bios

Genie, Health Monitor, MBM5, SmartGuardian, etc. They all get there data from the

same 5 cent sensor and 10 cent DAC with accuracy/stability that is lightyears from

their strong suit which is small impact on the bottom line production cost. Their

indications can change with every bios due to changes of the calibration curves.

What are you reading with a DVM???

BTW I am no fan of Antec PS's any more either. Right now I am running happily

along with Enermax EG-465PFM. I have a OCZ 520W adjustable sitting on the

shelf that I haven't even tried yet and doubt that I will now. I got it to have

an easily adjustable 3.3 rail so I cound increase the Vdimm on my 250GB but

with the change to Tccd memory that is a moot and unneeded feature now.

Viper