Sign in to follow this  
gymrat777

ADVICE NEEDED: Appropriate Temperature Levels

With a LanParty UT 250Gb and an A64 3000+, what is an appropriate temp to be running at? What happens if the temp is too high?

My CMOS is reading around 55 degrees and I noticed from a different thread that people are running in the mid 30s. I am a little worried. What should I do to cool off my computer?

Woah!

You should NOT be getting 50C on a 3000+ stock @ idle!

First, get airflow :) What's your casing situation?

Second, reseat the heatsink, and make sure you didn't apply too much goo/not using a thermal pad.

the max idle you should have on a 3000 - ~40C, and that's stratospherical.

If you can't solve it - run the BIOS to shutdown @ 60C

BIOS reads temps wrongs sometimes, but cant be too safe.

stick your finger on the bottom of the HS, does it feel 50C?

EDIT: Oh, and if it's too high? Then you get a bang, smoke, and a paperweight :)

Guest culinist

The temp readings on most of these boards are way off. What BIOS are you running? With the stock BIOS I was getting temp readings similar to yours. You can flash to the new official BIOS 9/14 or the 10/15 memtest bios and that "should" cure your temp readings. Unless you really are at 50 idle. In that case follow instructions above.

The only way to truely measure temps is with a probe.

Good luck and welcome to the Street.

Keep us posted.

Originally posted by gymrat777

With a LanParty UT 250Gb and an A64 3000+, what is an appropriate temp to be running at? What happens if the temp is too high?

My CMOS is reading around 55 degrees and I noticed from a different thread that people are running in the mid 30s. I am a little worried. What should I do to cool off my computer?

yeah man, its most likely your bios man, the OEM bios seems to read really high, i would flash to the 9/14 official.

BTW if you could man, make a signature showing all the hardware in your sig, it helps alot when trying to diagnose problems... :nod:

-Jess-

Yeah, what ^ said :)

I get 40-45 idle on this board, but my probe disagrees with 30-35.

It's about 10-15 off.

But - 50C is nothing to shake a stick at, that's _not_good_ if it really IS 50C.