Sign in to follow this  
Sunrider

I think my board is dead

I finished building my new system Saturday and it still refuses to boot up. I have spent all of sunday checking every bit of hardware in the system on another machine(including the power supply) and everything works fine. the board is not overclocked, heck I haven't even loaded windows yet. Does anyone got any ideas or is it RMA time?

Originally posted by Sunrider

I finished building my new system Saturday and it still refuses to boot up. I have spent all of sunday checking every bit of hardware in the system on another machine(including the power supply) and everything works fine. the board is not overclocked, heck I haven't even loaded windows yet. Does anyone got any ideas or is it RMA time?

are you trying a fresh windows install?, or is this an HDD/windows install from a pervious comp?

you will need to do a fresh windows install, if you havent already....

what are temps like in bios?

and what sata ports are you using?

-Jess-

hummm, , you mean the board wont "POST", in other word, engage the moniter..........

try a few things.....

1. try just one stick of ram....

2.try clearing cmos...

3. try reseting your CPU HS.

4. try removing the board from the case, to be sure its not shorted to the case anywhere.

5. unhook any un-nessacy hardware. such as flopply drives, or CD drives....

-Jess-

Just a quick thought Sunrider.. before you RMA.. you said you checked everything ... but, since this has happened to someone else on these boards somewhere and I dont see it mentioned in this thread ...

... have you confirmed that you connected all the power leads to the board? Including the 4 head one next to the cpu?

(I had RMA'd this same board about 2 weeks ago btw - but mine blew a circuit trace somehow - and I could smell it)

Warning: Post contains stupid suggestions, which you have probably already tried.

Try clearing CMOS for a LONG time (atleast a few hours). To be certain that the thing is actually cleared take out the battery too.

Make sure that BOTH of the MoBo power connectors are connected (I actually forgot the 4pin connector when I was building my system for the first time :rolleyes: )

Try booting with older videocard (one that doesn't need extra power) or try another PSU. My Lanparty/R9800pro/Antec Truepower 480w -combo did not boot because the 12v line on Antec was not strong enough. I got it working after replacing Antec with a 400w PSU from another manufacturer.

Good Luck

thanks for the replies. I have tried all of the suggestions and it still won't start. I also tried using hardware from a working system and only one stick of ram in each slot. still no joy.

well actually my RMA was through the online place (NCIX Canada)I bought the board from ... as it turns out they ran out of DFI boards to replace it with .. so the process ended up taking an obscene 2 weeks

Well I emailed tech support and got an RMA No. this morning. They had said it would take up to 3 working days. the m/board has been sent by special delivery and they will get it tomorrow(Tuesday). I am really impressed with the quick responce of DFI tech support. I'm hoping that I get the board back by Friday.

This is the first time I have had to rma a piece of haredware out of five computer builds. I have been lucky but the odds where that it would eventually happen. O'Well that's the chance we all take building these machines instead of buy a Dell or some other pc. i know I won't stop build and O/clocking. I'll take my chances.