Sign in to follow this  
AndyA

LAN issues (3 merged threads)

hay i was wondering if i could run my internet connection directly to my computer then run my router off the gigabyte connection?

what am i hoping to accomplish you may ask

im wondering if theres any way to get my computer the connection first then sent to the router that way i get all the connection i need the router can have what i dont use

(so i dont get lag from other computer browsing ect)

any ideas? im not exactly sure how this duel lan thing works yet.

-Andy

Yeah just set up internet connection sharing on your box. I don't have any experience with ICS but I have a feeling that if the other computers are requesting bandwidth it will still give it to them, and this won't solve your problem.

If you had specialized internet sharing software you could probably pull it off though. Kind of like how the other bittorrent clients allow you to limit upload/download speed.

if you have a router just run all the computers off the router

(so i dont get lag from other computer browsing ect)

the only way to eliminate this, regardless of how you set it up, is to not let other computers browse/download while yours is doing it.

(take it from me, i do networking on top of all this DFI stuff)

your comp isnt going to 'get more' bandwidth by being the first in line

remember your Gigabit LAN might be 1000Mbps but your cable, at best, is probably only 3-5Mbps.

there is no connection on this earth that I know of (for us normal home users) that uses 100% of even a 100Mbps line.

i may be wrong but isnt there some way via the QOS bandwidth selector to limit the amount of data an application uses? never looked into it as i have no need

no the QoS reserves a set amount of bandwidth...but if the controller is needing 100% of the available bandwidth then it will bypass (open up).

QoS isn't really effective and has no real benefits or negatives.

well its doing it again with this mobo ive tried decreasing fsb cpu ratio for cooler temps ive tried changing cables ive tried my going to a whole different internet connection ive tried changing motherboards ive tried the ACPI and now im just depressed because i bought another one of these boards and both of them are doing the same thing. i got lagged out of my scrims 4 times tonight. i called up the cable company they came and said i have a super strong signal and im the only one on the drop.

you guys dont know any other fixes do you?

a depressed Andy.

ps. its a new mobo trying to flash bios to latest version. 6/19 i bieleve

I live in a 'student' house with 2 other people.

We share the internet connection too. My server is connected to the internet and functions as router. I've been looking for some sort of way to set limits on the upload and download speed to the other uses and as far as i know the only way is to use Linux.

I'm sure it should be possible with windows too, but i haven't been able to find software that can do the job.