Booting Problems

Originally posted by Maxx3D

Hi guys!

jess1313: we have tried changing the CPU/FSB in the bios without results (system would not boot at all, had to reset CMOS with MB Jumper J12). We also set the CPU VID control to 1.5v.

We will try the Winflash Bios instead of the DFI Bios, but before we do so I would like to know for sure if the ThermalTake Venus 12 cooler will be ok. Can you verify if this cooler actually makes good contact with the CPU for us? I cant do this since I am not at DerekZ's house, and he is inexperienced as this is his first home built rig.

I also wanted you to ask if there was a good hardware monitor for the Lanparty UT 250Gb, something to monitor CPU and MB temperatures, voltages etc...?

You guys are great! Thank you so much for all your help and support! :)

I see....

yes winflash should solve this.....

and i dont have one to test, but due to its mounting style, i truely do not think it would even be close to usably for a DTR/mobile. its is possible it would "work", but the die pressure would be minmul, and truely a bolt on HS, that does away with the plastic bracket all together is the best way.

and im not sure about the Zalman either:(

the only one i would recommend is the Thermalright SLK-948U, which i know you all know that it works well with the DTR's, as you guy's mentioned it above.

for the voltage monitering software, the one off the DFI website is the only one i know of, many users dont like it all that well, but, hey, it works :nod:

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Driver/Ihdoctor.zip

GL

-Jess-

Originally posted by Maxx3D

I also wanted you to ask if there was a good hardware monitor for the Lanparty UT 250Gb, something to monitor CPU and MB temperatures, voltages etc...?

You guys are great! Thank you so much for all your help and support! :)

Smartguardian is on the DFI install cd can't recall what it's called though ITE? It will give temps, fan speeds and voltages for the near term anyway.

Hi guys! :)

Jess, thanks for the info.

We will reflash the bios twice as you suggested with the winflash as soon as Dereks new PC3200 comes in.

I have talked to Derek about the cooler, I asked him to take off the heatsink and check the 'grease pattern' to see if it looks as if its making good solid contact. If it looks like it is making good contact we will try it and monitor the temps with Ihdoctor. If temps are running high we will replace the cooler with the one you suggested.

z3scott, thank you, found it! 'Ihdoctor' you were close enough! hehe ;)

Thanks again Guys! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

We got the Venus12 working good with the DTR Chip!

I had to lower the heatsink mounting bracket a bit tho.

I did this by removing the heatsink mounting bracket and sanding down the bottom. I used medium sand paper on a flat surface. I also measured the amount sanded off each end and corner of the plastic bracket with a pair of calipers to insure that I lowered it evenly.

So little by little I lowered the bracket and tested the grease pattern. As soon as I saw good contact I lowered the bracket another 5 or 10 thousanths of an inch and re-applied the A.S.5 and set it in place.

Powered up the system, loaded optimised defaults, set FSP to 200 and CPU Voltage to 1.5 and booted up!

CPU runs cool, 38c under load, and about 32 at idle.

Actually at my house, in the middle of the night, it was running at about 23c. It was very cold here tho. :)

Problem solved!

yea worked great, and the best part is that we didnt have to buy a new heatsink and fan! Money Saved! :)

Plus, the Venus12 has a huge copper block at the base, should help disipate heat very well.

The Venus12 Fan is a monster tho, runs at about 5500 RPM and its loud! Not so bad with the case closed up, but still alot louder than my old water cooled P4 Prescott which sounds something like a small fish aquarium. hehe :)

My next rig will definateyl be a A64 and DFI combo.

We tested the system with UT2004 and Need for Speed Underground, runs great with everything turned all the way up at 1024x768. Nice Rig! :)