Sign in to follow this  
DerekZ

Booting Problems

my board is DFI lan party ut nf3 250gb . proc is amd 64 3200+ the dtr the mobile chip. its riunnin slow but we gettin closer to fixin it . i been downloading win xp pro 64 from 5 different places and none of them will boot. i tryed usin win 98 boot disk but it cannot rfead hdd or floppy if yall know anything let me know or if any of u have the win xp pro 64 installed can yall make a boot disk and i can download it?

Derek

you need to slap a sig together to get real help. Then we know what your're rig is?

I'm running a 3200 DTR just fine. You need to update your bios if you haven't to 9/14 or later.

Have you checked your voltage to the proc? S/b 1.5v nominal. The DTR booted initally (and after any cmos clear) to 1.1v I believe.

Also set your multi to 10x for our 3200 default.

I'm not playing with the Win64 stuff yet sorry.

yeah man, slap you a Signature in there, and...

go in to bios, and set your CPU VID to 1.5v, and the CPU/FSB ratio to 10x

-Jess-

I have loaded xp 64 using the CD, just setup bios for boot from CD that should work. I have both the downloaded ISO and the CD from microsoft, both work fine for me. The xp pro boot disk can be downloaded from microsoft, just use the search tool. This program will produce a 6 disk set.

I have tried out the following OS, xp pro sp1, xp 64 1218, 2000 pro, and I like the 2000 pro sp 4 the best. I guess it depends on what flavor you like.

Hi Guys,

thanks for helping, this seems to be a great forum from all the posts I have read so far.

We have tried the settings you suggested, and did not boot, not even to bios.

I think one problem is the PC2100 Ram. We have ordered DerekZ some new Mushkin PC3200 DDR and expect it to arrive next tuesday/wednesday. Once we get that installed we can try again.

Another problem maybe the Tt Venus 12, since I am not at Derek's House (he lives in Louisiana, I'm in California) I can not verify that it is actually making contact with the CPU. Can anyone verify if the Tt Venus 12 will work with this DTR for us?

He is using Arctic Silver 5 on CPU/Heatsync.

We do appriciate your help! :)

Thanks and talk to you all soon!

for DTR/Mobile you need the SLK-948U THermalright cooler. It is the only one that makes correct & decent contact with the core of the cpu.

PC2100 RAM definitely is not friendly on the board. Not that it wont work...but I'd never expect anything but problems with it (i booted a stick of oooollllldddd PC2100 128MB DDR once and it got all crazy like the Russians were invading Faroffistan...!)

Hi Travis,

I talked to a friend last night that has the same 3200+ DTR CPU, he is using a Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu Intel P4 / AMD Socket 754 Cooler.

I know you suggested the Thermalright, but its a bit more expensive. We are on a budget, I would like your opinion on the Zalman. Can you verify for us if the Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu Intel P4 / AMD Socket 754 Cooler will actually make good contact with the CPU core? My friend says he has it installed on his MSI board with the 3200+ DTR CPU and it works great.

Also, this means we may have a brand new Venus 12 cooler and fan available for someone who needs one. ;)

Thanks for your help and suggestions Travis!!!

don't cheap out, especially if you plan on clocking right away, or later on.

yes, there are many coolers that work and work great for normal, non overclocked systems, but few work properly with a chip that has the cover off (DTR/mobiles).

if you plan on playing just even a little bit, get a Thermaltake unit, you will be set.

baldy:D

Originally posted by DerekZ

so the new ram should fix multiplier problem bein locked at 4x?

have you tryed changing the CPU/FSB ratio, in bios?, and its just doesnt do anything?

i would try reflashing your bios twice, with winflash, as this is what fixed the last person that i saw with this problem.

after flashing, load optomised defaults, in bios, and set the CPU VID control to 1.5v,and the CPU/FSB ratio to 10x.

-Jess-

Hi guys!

Thanks for your prompt replies! We really do appriciate your help! :)

bldegle2: we have a Tt Venus 12 now, but we are not sure if it is seating onto the top of the DTR CPU? Do you know if a Venus 12 will work well with the DTP CPU?

jess1313: we have tried changing the CPU/FSB in the bios without results (system would not boot at all, had to reset CMOS with MB Jumper J12). We also set the CPU VID control to 1.5v.

We will try the Winflash Bios instead of the DFI Bios, but before we do so I would like to know for sure if the ThermalTake Venus 12 cooler will be ok. Can you verify if this cooler actually makes good contact with the CPU for us? I cant do this since I am not at DerekZ's house, and he is inexperienced as this is his first home built rig.

I also wanted you to ask if there was a good hardware monitor for the Lanparty UT 250Gb, something to monitor CPU and MB temperatures, voltages etc...?

You guys are great! Thank you so much for all your help and support! :)