Windows Cold Boot Crazyness

I have installed W2K with sp4, WinXP home XP2, and Win64 on this system.

I have had Win2k and XP on my Samsung 160 hd using serrel adaptor on sat port 3, and on IDE 1. When I cold boot the board posts fine - will go to the black screen with the white bar then go to the Win2K screen with the blue bar across the bottom. When the screen would normaly blackout and cut back on with a blue background the monitor will click off (the led truns to orange) and the HD lite will continue to blink but no display!

I have let it sit for up to 5 min before, but no change. When I hit restart or power off and power on - it loads fine. It is this way with every cold boot and works fine no matter how many times I reboot after the first time.

It is this way with Win XP also. It will go to the black XP screen with the blue bar and when the monitor goes black then should blink back on with the xp background it clicks the monitor off.

I have used the drivers from the DFI CD on both, and I have used the newest Asus drivers for my vid card.

I haven't played with win64 on the cold boot yet.

Has anyone else had this problem?

My PSU is about 1y old and is a Antec 550 True power.

I for got to list my specs

I have been running no OC trying to hunt this problem down.

Vcore auto

vdimm 2.8

vdd 1.6

FSB 200

LDT x3

2-2-6-2 all other items set to auto

Serial port 1, IR port, and Parrallel port dissabled

I increased the vdd to 1.7 the vagp to 1.6 and no change. It reboots fine, but after setting for 20min or so, it will boot all the way to where the white backgound Windows 2000 profesional screen with the blue bar near the bottom and right when it should change to the windows background (I still have the default blue) the monitor clicks off.....

This is nuts.

I forgot to list that I have a Kypermedia burner as master and a Pioneer 115 DVD reader as slave on IDE 2.

see if it goes into safe mode. i saw a machine do this same thing 2 nights ago but it was an older pc. if it goes into safe mode, uninstall all the ati stuff. it should boot to desktop. then install a different set of drivers.

very truly yours,

politenessman

if that is the mushkin BH5 variety (i think all lvl2 stuff is?) then try cranking up the voltage on it (leaving the other voltages at 1.6v).

also try 10-2-2-2-2 as the NF3/A64 seems to like it a lot and performs better (just like the NF2 seemed to do much better @ 11-2-2-2-2).

worst case...unplug everything except cpu/ram/video, and see if it boots up. If so, plug in a cdrom etc one at a time and see if anything strange happens.

another thing to look at is to put in the cpu voltage and not leave it on auto. If you need to know the voltages for your cpu, check the Important Info sticky...near the bottom are AMD cpu tables (www.angrygames.com is where they are). Manually put in the voltage for cpu, and put in voltages for everything else (using their default voltage just dont leave it on auto).

You might have to save & exit, then go right back into bios and check and make sure the bios saved them (if not save & exit once again). For some odd reason some changes you have to save twice =/ (we still checking this one out heh)

also use Auto on LDT. Dont turn it down to 3x

and

dont use the drivers on the cd-rom...check nvidia.com for the latest win2k/xp drivers. Should be version 5.10. DFI website has I think 5.03 listed.

since it seems to happen when windows loads, it sounds more like a driver problem than any hardware problem. But this whole list of stuff to look at should keep you busy a bit lol ;)