Sign in to follow this  
gdogg

Highest Achievable FSB w/Mobile Athlon and Dfi NF2 Ultra Infinity?

nah, if you are looking for 250MHz pretty much any mobile will do, it's the high core clocks that you need special steppings for (which I know nothing about hehe)

You will probably need good ram to pull it off too, my ram _could_ do it but at horribly loose timings and high voltage.

Also I noticed you sasid "the ram is already running at 400fsb" - you run the risk of bios corruption if your FSB and RAM are not 1:1.

Also when overclocking people typically refer to the actual frequency and not the effective data frequency, i.e. you would say "my fsb is 200MHz" not 400. It's just because your multiplier is based on the 200 and not the 400 so it makes things easier.

Thanks for the reply. Right now I'm looking at the mobile 2600, and I don't plan on overclocking the memory since I went cheap on it (Kingston or Major Brand as they like to say in the ads). I just want to get the cpu up to 200fsb to match it, and since I had trouble getting an XP3200 to run at 200fsb, I've since read all the info on these forums about the mobile.

My problem is I don't want to spend too much right now, since within 6 months I'm going to upgrade to the amd 64bit. I'm just waiting till after xmas for the pricing to drop a little, and more bugs to be worked out of the 64bit beta windows. Not to mention xmas shopping to be over for the family.

Anyway, I'm sure it's posted in here somewhere, haven't found it yet, but can someone link me to a post that shows what settings to clock the 2600 at, in cmos, to achieve 200fsb, etc? I'll either bookmark it until I get it, or take a ss of it and print it.

Well after you load optimized defaults, just turn the FSB up from 166 to 200. If it hangs (it probably will) up the volts a bit and try again. My XP-M 2500+ needs 1.55V (up from stock 1.45V) to run at 200MHz.

Actually now that I think about it the optimized defaults will probably set you at 1.65V which is ok since this is what the desktop CPUs normally require and it won't hurt the mobile at all. But hey lower volts = less heat so it might be fun to try.

ive read the beta bios thing

and wasn't there problems with getting 200FSB with a processor that wasn't that origionally when using optimised cpu under advance chipset configurations

and you have to use aggressive?

well thats what my probs always was with the org. bios trying to get 200 fsb

and since the release notes show fixing that if you read them going along

it would make sence that it would work for him too, using agreevise cpu settings, and agressive memory timings too

http://www.dfi-street.com/bios/AMD/N24ID121/N24ID121.txt

well its a good read, id say

It's hard to say, my ram is not that good so I had to turn off the agressive cpu setting and loosen the ram timings a lot to get 250MHz. For 200 though I could pull it off with the agressive cpu interface and tight timings.

Also that text file is for the 1/21 bios, 6/19 pretty much has this board running perfect, except if you are not at 1:1 ram:fsb.

Originally posted by Poisonsnak

It's hard to say, my ram is not that good so I had to turn off the agressive cpu setting and loosen the ram timings a lot to get 250MHz. For 200 though I could pull it off with the agressive cpu interface and tight timings.

Also that text file is for the 1/21 bios, 6/19 pretty much has this board running perfect, except if you are not at 1:1 ram:fsb.

i dont know but i was pretty sure he said he was uncapable of getting 200 (x 2 = 400) with his his ram at 1:1 even using a 3200+ and he is using it at 166 (x2 - 333) and has his ram at 400, if this is the case, then he has to move cpu to the agressive setting, which is all im trying to get across to him, cause its causing me pain hear that he isn't running his ram 1:1.

He just said he's gonna buy a mobile 2600 just to get the 200 FSB (which he said he isn't gonna go over) which he can no doubt, by taking what i've said into consideration

:nod:

ive hit 270 with my mobile 2400 and stock infinity with some corsair value select, and its all stock, so maybe with a few more mods i can hit 280 or so , also with some better ram. but i think its my NB crapping out on me , cause at 270 im prime stable for about 2 hours but at 271 it wont even post.

@existz What kind of memory bandwith can you get at 265+? Can I see a sandra screenie, and maybe a sciencemark 2.0 memory latency test. I am trying to get up around 265 at tight timmings with a vdimm mod.

at 200x13.5 and 265x10 i was running 2v but it was on a water chiller @ 4c idel and 12c load, with normal water all i can get is 2.5 @ 2.v, with temps @ 28c idel and 36c load. as for bandwidth for 265 i get 3845mbs in sandra, and for 271fsb i get 3981mbs and thats all with 1x256 @ 11-3-3-2.5

[bIMG]http://server5.uploadit.org/files/existz-3845.jpg[/bIMG]

[bIMG]http://server5.uploadit.org/files/existz-3981.jpg[/bIMG]

that proc must love volts lol

i think i have the magic stepping one

honestly i really want to find it out, but gotta wait

2 weeks maybe