Are there Problems with the Newcastle and Cool "n" Quiet ?

Hello,

I'm planning on getting the LANparty UT nF3 250Gb. Another dfi user gave me the adress of this forum, since all I got so far from support was an link to the faq.

And yes and I don't want to over-clock the cpu just leave everythting on default :)

could sombody please tell me, if Cool "n" Quiet works on the LANparty UT nF3 250Gb with a AMD Athlon 64 with the Newcastle core ?

I have read about many users having Problems with the NFIII UT 250GB, Cool "n" Quiet and the A64 Newcastle and I did not find a test of the mainboard, where they used a Newcastle.So I would be very glad, if you could tell me if there are any known problems with the mainboard, Cool "n" Quiet and the Newcastle core.

The LANparty UT nF3 250Gb is the mainboard I would like to buy, but if Cool "n" Quiet doesn't work with it and a Newcastle I have to choose another one.

Thank you very much and please excuse my English

lokal

Hello,

after reading many threads and many forums and with

my own Experience i could say this:

Normaly there is NO problem with C&Q and Newcastle CPU

BUT:

There are known problems with this hardware and two kind of Dimms

2x 512MB DDR 400 from MDT (both Singlesided and Doublesided)

2x 512MB DDR 400 Mushkin Level I doublesided (Winbond CH5 Chips)

You should NOT buy this Ram Dimms if you want to use C&Q with DFI.......

thanks to both for you for your fast answers :).

@alex1971

2x 512MB DDR 400 from MDT (both Singlesided and Doublesided)

nice thats the ram I was planning to buy :(

So if I choose another dimm from the recomended-list, it is your opinion that C&Q works with the Newcastle cpu ?

you got me a little confused here, one of you is saying it doesn't work with a certain kind of ram the other says it won't work at all.

@dagoof

so you mean employees have said here, that if you don't want to OC buy another motherboard ?

lokal

Cool & Quiet...again a bit of sticky issue on this...there's about 10 of you that are having a problem running C&Q on the board. My opinion matches Oskar's opinion (as well as Rgone's) that if you bought this board just to run C&Q (and effectively, at stock/default speeds), then you bought the wrong board.

As I told another poster...its not meant to be rude or mean...its the simple truth. Why would you buy our board (other than pretty colors! lol) to run at stock and C&Q when there's other boards that beat ours at stock/default? We value our customers...but that value doesn't mean we want to get you to buy our board if its not the right board for you.

And let me make it clear...these boards were built the same as NASCAR cars are built...for speed and handling...you wont see a 1000hp NASCAR down on 3rd Avenue getting milk and bread at 7-11...Doesn't mean you couldn't do it I suppose... (maybe I should have used Ferrari or Lamborghini as reference lol)...but that was never the intended purpose of it.

We don't want to alienate any users, customers, potential customers. That is most certainly not my plan with any of this. We are big enough to tell you that you should buy another mfg's board if we think it would better suit you. I have told many many many customers that they should not get our board and get an Abit NF7, or IC7 MAX3 or whatever because it would be the better board for them for the purpose they stated they wanted to use it for.yes

Thanks for the qoute :) . That certainly clears it up.

So here are the reasons why I think the dfi ist the best value for me even at stock speeds.

1. It's cheaper. The dfi costs about 109 Euro and the other board I'm considering, the asus K8N-E Deluxe, costs about129 Euro.

2. It got 4 sata-ports that are intergrated into the chipset, not just the 2 sata ports which are built in and another 4 which are connected via pci

3. The backplate is screwd on ( i hope I got that right ).

So I still would be very glad, If somebody could tell me a combination of ram and cpu that is known to work, or tell me wait for the next bios which is going to come out next week :)

lokal

Originally posted by lokal

Thanks for the qoute :) . That certainly clears it up.

So here are the reasons why I think the dfi ist the best value for me even at stock speeds.

1. It's cheaper. The dfi costs about 109 Euro and the other board I'm considering, the asus K8N-E Deluxe, costs about129 Euro.

2. It got 4 sata-ports that are intergrated into the chipset, not just the 2 sata ports which are built in and another 4 which are connected via pci

3. The backplate is screwd on ( i hope I got that right ).

So I still would be very glad, If somebody could tell me a combination of ram and cpu that is known to work, or tell me wait for the next bios which is going to come out next week :)

lokal

I will OC my board later but right now I'm happy with it at stock speeds.

Check out my hardware profile as it may help you decide as what to get.

Good luck.

srvz thanks for your answer and your tipps.

I already got the raptor, isn't that a beginning :P

you got expensive hardware ;). Is the Clawhammer a C0 or a CG-Stepping ?

Do you have some part number or something like that for the memory and is it Singlesided ?

lokal

PS: If somebody else is reading this, does somebody think it would be better do use a 1Gig memory modul ?

lokal: my gear is less than a month old. My amd is newcastle CG. I think it is pretty standard these days for 3200+. Anyway, I did not have problem with C&Q with the bios as shipped. The new bios 9/14 fixed the temp reading on SmartGuidian which came with the board in the cd. I am not oc'ing for now. I think it is a good board even if you run stock setting like what I am doing now. You hear so many problems with other board, but with this one, it just booted up the first time. I use some pretty standard and inexpensive ram as well. Take a look at my sig. Good luck.

e268 thanks for your answer.

Im beginning to hope it will work :)

And a new bios is out, the last time I looked I wasn't up yet.

Could you please tell me what kind of ram you have ?

lokal

The ram is in my sig. Inexpensive samsung pc3200 ddr400 512 mb. Most people here are concerned about not being able to turn off c&q, because to oc, you need to turn it off. The new bios can do it, altho I haqve not done so.