Dont laugh.. I have a Dell question.. ;)

THunDA

Ok..

At work my boss just bought a Dell 3000 for me.. Not my choice, but I didnt wana really get into building one for the office so it does its job.. But something kinda annoys me.. When I boot up and wana sign on to my Verizon dsl it takes like a minuite or more before im able to click connect... During this time the machine is some what laggy and not very responsive, but some things will open right up..Its like its doing something in the back round and takes its sweet little time..

Some specs that I know of it are..

P4 3gig with HT

512mb pc3200 in dual channel

Dell mobo.. haha..

Intergated sound and video.. and nic

Windows XP Home.. shipped with sp1a

Ok so some things I tried.. I installed a pci nic... Installed sp2.. and none of this changed the problem... Today I decided to format with the XP Home sp1a disk it came with to get rid of all the dell junk and it went fine ... But I still have the same issue..

Now Ive never used XP home as I use Pro at home.. Is this possibly a draw back of the home edition, would Pro help... ?

Or am I just asking too much since im used to my incredibly fast overclocked super duper DFI mobo ?... :D

Thanks

THunDA

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Angry_Games

check for bios updates. its still doing it after a clean correct install it must be something else....try putting a NIC card in it too and getting off the onboard LAN.

Dont think there is a bios update, But ill check..

I did install a pci nic which im using currently.. That didnt make a difference.. Cuz in the begining I thought it was all the dumb stuff they put in like Intel proset and other crap.. O-well.. maybe I just wont shut it off.. hehe

THunDA's got a Dell. THunDA's got a Dell. THunDA's got a Dell.

nananana. hehehe.

Prolly got the piss heat-sinked out of it all ready. :nod:

I gotta agree with wez. It's one of those 'ghost-in-the-machine" oddities that pre-built systems seem so prone to. Just be glad it's not worse. ANgry and you are already on target with da right fix.

(Course could be some "super virus" those Cingular boys are throwin your way :D )

now go finish with the heat sinks already. ya know ya wanna

Lol.. always cracking me up Sound you da man.. :)

Yea I guess im just spoiled when it comes to computers..

Aint nuttin like da HO.. hehe

Actually im holding back on sinking the dell.. Not sure if my boss would appreciate it .. Besides I wouldnt want my HO to get jelous...

Originally posted by THunDA

Besides I wouldnt want my HO to get jelous...

HAHAHA:nod:

Come on ThunDA, you dont want you dell to feel left out do ya.....

but about your problem, does it seem slow when doing other things, or only when you attemt to signing on?

-Jess-

Me thinks you might be spoiled:shake:

haha..

Well actually once it gets started and im in windows for like a minuite its fine.. and quite peppy.. Just annoying in the begining... I guess im just spoiled and used to be able to just start things the instant im in windows ..

Originally posted by THunDA

haha..

Well actually once it gets started and im in windows for like a minuite its fine.. and quite peppy.. Just annoying in the begining... I guess im just spoiled and used to be able to just start things the instant im in windows ..

yeah i know after using either my DFI NF3, or DFI NF2 LP-B, which both have Sata raid, when i go back to my NF7, which has an ata 133 HDD, i feel like the dang thig is never, ever gonna finish booting.....

-Jess-

do not forget about the anti-virus and firewall appas and the cuold be bogging done if when you get in and most of the office is trying to sign in that could br causeing the slow down also.

I know what you meen I upgraded to the dd4002-512/wc and my system semms to fly compared toit with the old memory in it . So you are spoiled. :nod: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by platdragon

do not forget about the anti-virus and firewall appas and the cuold be bogging done if when you get in and most of the office is trying to sign in that could br causeing the slow down also.

I know what you meen I upgraded to the dd4002-512/wc and my system semms to fly compared toit with the old memory in it . So you are spoiled. :nod: :rolleyes:

Well.. Actually it did the same thing when I reinstalled windows and there wasnt any anti-virusfirewall... Also there isnt any network.. Just this one slow starting pos..hehe..

Ive come to deal with it I guess.. And love my HO even more now..

:)

If you figure it out let me know, I have a dell laptop it does the exact same thing. Start the computer and you can do anything except use the network or look at the network properties, if you try to open it nothing happens for like 2 minutes then 5 copies (or however many clicks you did) open.

It has onboard LAN and 2 PCMCIA wireless cards that I swap out and all network devices experience this weirdness.