Problems changing settings in BIOS

I've had some troubles with my system as of late. I had it up and running at 2300mhz for a while, but my GF decided to put some horrid spyware on my computer. I formatted and tried to install windows. I set the BIOS to Optimum Defaults and it installed fine.

Now I have all my drivers installed, and I'm ready to play with the bios again. I am running at 800mhz because of the default. Now here's my problem. I've tried changing the FSB and multiplyer, but no matter what I put it to, it just crashes or won't boot into windows.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

edit: running SP2 with all the latest updates

Richard_T, welcome to dfi-street! Also I am happy to see someone with my same case, psu, cpu, and hsf. My vid card is a 9000 though so you one-upped me there hehe. Do you find its hsf to be quite loud? I replaced mine with a large passive hs and it works quite well.

But enough hijacking. You loaded optimized defaults I noticed, what does it put the CPU Vcore at? Mobile CPUs are well-known for having issues with default Vcore, you may want to try setting it at 1.65V (default for non-mobile CPUs) and see if you can boot. Also what is your current FSB? if it is 100MHz (I don't speak ddr fsb hehe) then maybe the j8 jumper is off and is limiting you to 100MHz? It is right by the north bridge and has a red jumper cap by default.

Also I don't know Samsung RAM very well, what are the timings supposed to be? You could try something safe like:

8-3-3-2.5

just to make sure it runs ok. My RAM (Corsair) likes 2.7V instead of the default 2.6. Additionally my video card likes 1.8Vagp as opposed to the default 1.6 I believe. I used to have cold boot problems at 1.6 so maybe this is worth a look too.

The last thing I could recommend is flashing to the 6/19 bios, (everyone's doing it man hehe) because it seems to be a good magical fix for random crashing and boot problems.

The above is some very good advice..

Something I could add...

When changing things in the bios.. First load defaults.. reboot and go back into bios.. Now the first thing you wana do is set the voltages up "save exit" reboot right back into bios.. Then start with all your other settings..

Now VERY VERY important to do the voltages and save exit first before you go onto all the other fun stuff in bios... When setting the voltages,fsb,multi and all settings I normally set only like 2-3 things max and "save exit" then go back in and continue this untill you have your desired settings...

I have got the no boot many times when I first got this mobo from trying to change too many things in bios at once..

edit..

Oh yea.. Welcome to DFI Street.. :)

I gotta second what thunda said. Back when the nForce was a new chipset( you know when dinosaurs were walking) about 4 years ago, the forefathers came to realize that it DID NOT like a lot of changes at once. Only change a few things at a time save, climb more, save, rinse and repeat :shake: . I don't always follow that rule and do use CMOS Reloaded sometimes but whenever I flash or clear my CMOS I always climb slowly back out of the basement. Good luck and welcome to the street.