Need some advise before flashing.....

Guest twilight_merged

Guest twilight

I am about to flash my NFII infinity ultra rev A mobo and feel that i could need some advise so i know im doing it correctly. Im a total newbee in this area.

this is my situation:

1. have recently flashed to bios N24ID619 using awdflash, so thats my current bios. (everything went well)

2. have DL´d bios N24ID121 beta and thinking of flashing my bios with that.

3. When i DL´the official N24ID619 bios from DFI i got a package with awdflash and a text file that contained the command line for the flash procedure ( AWDFLASH N24ID619.BIN /F/QI/CC/Sn/Py ), but i only got the .bin file for N24ID121 beta so i dont know what command line i should use.

So....my question is: can i flash my mobo from the current bios to the N24ID121 beta using the same awdflash and the command line (awdflash N24ID619.bin /py /sn /cc /cd /cp /LD /f /tiny /E) or should it be domething else?

I have read elts_drac´s flash faq, its from there i got the info on switch codes, but i would feel better if someone experienced could give me a Go!! or STOP!!! :)

Regards Twilight.

Hi !! and welcome to DFI-street :)

The 6/19 bios is generally good and many issues have been resolved or minimised by it.

So, the question should be, why do you want to flash ?? Are there issues you feel can be solved by an older or beta bios??

I still go by the rule that "if it ain't broken, don't fix it", unless of course everyone says it is a much better bios in many aspects.

Good luck.......

:) twilight, welcome aboard.

Now to the serious stuff. 6/19 is a fine bios. Don't know of the BETA bios you are looking at or what it does. What makes you think to flash to a beta when you admit yourself that you are unsure of what to do? Beta is for those with a safety net of a bios savior or another pre-flashed spare bios chip to get the board to boot in case of problems.

Beta is just what it says it is and means it is not yet fully tested and not known what will happen if you flash it.

Is that beta bios you are asking about flashing on the 'official' DFI beta download site?

Oh in case you mis-understood me> if you are not fully prepared to have a bios flash go bad by having a 'safety net' setup in your possession> do not flash beta bioses! Best I can say to you sir.

Sincerely, RGone...

PS: just so you do not confuse others with the "naming" terminology of the motherboard it is most widely known simply as the Ultra Infinity. No need for NF2 as we all know it has NF2 chipset and until they move from a Rev "A" board to another revision (highly unlikely this late) ; just leave that Rev A out of the description as it misleads some including myself to have to look and make 'sure' you are not talking about the dang LanParty "A" board which is really a totally different board in many respects. I see this problem 'all' the time when people email tech support. If they would go to the official DFI download page and 'call' their board what it is called at the download page then the whole thing would be clear and the bioses and manuals and drivers would be so much easier to keep up with. Your board can also for forum use simply be callled the "Ui" board and all know what that signifies. RGone...Again...

Yup I have to agree with all the above.. Ive tried a few beta and modded.. And guess what ??.. I always go right back to the official 619.. Its just a great bios ...stable and oc's great.. I beat the hale out of it..hehe

No one wants to think of a bad flash.. But you have to when flashing bios, things happen even with the most experienced .. This way you are perpared for the worse.. If you dont have a bios savior or extra flashed chip and things go wrong it could mean some down time .. Then I would suggest you dont even flash.. But good luck with whatever you decide.. :)

Guest twilight

Ok....thanx for the advises guys. :)

The reason i want to flash is that i have been told that the 1/21 bios is a great OC bios and my overclocking isn´t going so well this far. I can only reach 220*10 stable, if i go higher i get alot of "minidump" errors and the computer does "random reboots" in the middle of games and apps.

I found the bios here in your driver collection and it seems like it is optimised for OC:

2004/01/21 BIOS update as follows :

1 . Update OPTIMAL and AGGRESSIVE CPU interface define above 200 MHz

2 . Improve nVidia AGP card performance

3 . Improve APIC stability with all device turned on @ High overclocked FSB

4 . Increase AGP controller latency as 0FFh to improve 3DMark2001SE stability

Is there any bios settings that could cause my instability?

Regards Twilight

I'll jump on the 6/19 bios bandwagon as well.

If your overclock is not working try memtest86 (man do I ever push this program) for a while (like 12 hours or so) and see if it likes your RAM timings. that -9-12 at the end of your RAM timings seems a little odd, I don't ever remember hearing of people changing from the default -13-15. Also while I have CPC on a lot of people have mixed results with it, try with it off for a bit maybe.

Additionally try locking your AGP at 66MHz as opposed to Auto Angry_Games likes to recommend that one (and why not?). I don't have any V / f settings on auto ever, I always manually set them even if it's to default values.

I noticed you are running 230x10 is that a mobile barton or just unlocked? Mobiles can have problems with wrong default vcore, though usually it's only boot problems.

Just putting in a word for the 6/19

I've tried most of the bios versions out there and many have caused me problems. Nothing has given me as much stability and performance as the 6/19.

If you haven't got a bios saviour be happy you have managed a good clean flash to the 6/19 and let it be.

My advice would be to see what is limiting your OCing in the 6/19 and address that.