Installing XP...needing some help on this one.

Please don't ask the obvious because I have checked, rechecked and done the obvious several times. Ex. bad ide cable, try another XP disk, overclocked CPU and other varoius bios settings and such...

Doing a 120 gigger HD upgrade:

Have a new 120 gigger IDE HD.

Throw in the XP disk reboot, and the installing of the drivers began and all is going well. When it gets to the point when it finished flashing throw the drivers says, " setup is starting windows" it reboots every single time. It never gets any further, meaning, its never reaches the point where I can install XP onto the HD.

I tried three different XP disks all do the same exact thing in the same exact place. These disks are good, one was brand new never used before. Daughter at college got it for me. :)

It does however, allows the installation of 2000 with no problems.

The current/existing smaller 20 gigger HD has xp on it so I threw it back in. This is the on listed in my sig. and have been using for some while now.

This is the first time I have ran into this particular problem, this problem is new to me.

Thanks a bunch.

I also try to disconnect all other drives when installing windows.. Only leave the one that your installing windows hooked up.. i think leaving other drives on it confuses it sometimes..

You say it copies files then goes to reboot.. what happens after that ? black screen ? error ?

Could also be a memory error triggering reboots. Are you running stock or clocked? Is there good airflow in your case. Try running memtest looping on test 5 to make sure its not a memory problem. Windows installation induces high CPU and memory loads.

You say it copies files then goes to reboot.. what happens after that ? black screen ? error ?
It reboots and starts the installation all over again each time.

And LBA access mode
I installed XP approx. 3-4 months ago on this older smaller 20 gigger HD just fine and it was set at CHS.

Could also be a memory error triggering reboots
When a throw back in the older smaller 20 gigger have get/have no hardware or software error or issues. All is good, okay.

All hardware is XP compatible. I haven't changed no hardware to my rig except this new 120 gigger HD.

its never reaches the point where I can install XP onto the HD
I never get to install XP onto the HD, no entering the ID product/key number, never gets far to to do a full or quick installation or format.

If you are set to CHS that 'is' your problem. LBA and you'll be fine. Yes some drives will just about be ok in this mode, no western digital 120gb se caviers aren't one of them. I have the same drive. Set it to LBA, trust me.

Ya think? LBA Mode?

Sounds like a go.

I'm at work right now so I'll give it another try when I get home later tonight. It be well after midnight before I get home, and usually after doing eight hours of tech support, I usually don't feel sitting in front of a computer when I get home. BUT for this new 120 gigger I definitely make it point to do it again.

Yep, that did it.

Once I changed it from CHS to LBA all was good.

Like I said in a previous post, I've never ran into this particular problem before, but I've never had a HD any bigger than 20gigs either.

A big heart felt thank you to each of you that replied and helped resolved this problem.

The only problem I have now, is getting my dsl up and running but I'll be taking that up with SBC first.

Again, thank you. :)