VDimm mod installled - Am I too high?

turbo-serve

And I don't mean spiritually or chemically!

Just a little question, so... was at 248X10 with a couple of errors in MemTest-86 1st pass of test#5 (OK thereafter) at 250X10. Installed the VDimm mod and powered up, XP booted OK and Hardware doc tells me the VDimm Voltage is 3.4V (was 3.25V ish). This is where I wanted to end up so I'm a bit surprised since I set the pot to max resistance (200K) to start.

Anyway ran Memtest-86 and still had the same two errors. It felt like I was being deceived and the voltage was at pre mod, so a little tweak later and I'm at 3.6V (Hardware doc) and no memtest errors till 255FSB.

Set the system at 254X10 and primes for an hour and 3D2001/3/5 all OK.

Been like this for 3 days and all seems very well but wouldn't want to trash these memory sticks for the sake of 60MHz.

Is this a reasonable thing to do or is it nuts?

Regards

@turbo-serve:

I, once, also had those same memory sticks from Geill, but i found out that in one way or another those sticks are not working very well on a LanParty Ultra B (maybe also on infinity). I replaced them by some mushkin pc3500 bh-5 sticks and it made a world of a difference.

So for me the match DFI LP Rev. B - Geill DDR Sticks was not a good one. Maybe the same thing goes for your rig, so if you're able to test with other sticks, please do and let us know.

Thanks AG, don't think these are BH5's since the timings are a bit odd. Don't feel the urge to pull heat spreaders to have a look. Think I'll just leave as is for the moment.

Wizard, I think a few others on this forum have said the same. Haven't anything else to try other than a stick of value ram PC3200 in daughters PC. That stick was actually a replacement RMA 'cause I'd taken the A7V8X board to max mem voltage and it didn't like it. Better not try it or she won't be very happy. it's a bit too expensive to buy another pair for a few of extra MHz. Probably wait till I upgrade to 64 bits (maybe a Christmas present!). Still, 254X10 aint bad.

Regards