Sign in to follow this  
Katch

[RESOLVED] With TextBook Bios Flash>> UI - What have I done?

Just after a little help and some suggestions. My UI was running quite happily at the settings in my sig, then I decided to do some more fiddling and playing.

Here's what I did;

First I thought I'd try and burn my RAM in a little and get a few more Mhz stable. So memtesting away at x9 and 222 FSB threw up about a 1000 errors after about 45 secounds. Droped back to 220 and get no errors at all.

So I thought I'd play with the Hellfire BIOS files. Droped the 3EG Rev 3 into my BIOS saviour.... nah no post kerput. OK back to the 6/19 and flashed the saviour to 3EG Rev 1 - played about with that for a while, similar results. Back to the 6/19, windows fails to load and makes really nasty noises come outta my hard drive.

So from here on everything goes a little unstable. What I eventually did was step back to stock speeds and voltages with a spare Dimm (the Kingston 512) - After getting the 6/19 to play nice and let me back into windows - drum roll - My Lan is not working properly.

Ok my small network at home consists of a laptop connected to my adsl line and then sharred to my Rig via internet connection sharring and the nvidia on board NIC. After my troubles the connection on my DFI still shows as IP assigned by DHCP but I can no longer get the DFI to connect to the internet or see the laptop. If I ping the laptop it times out and visa versa. I find it odd that the NICs are communicateing DHCP but not allowing internet sharring or pings.

Ok *stressed* there is another disconcerting symptom. Previously (when all was well) after powering up and getting throught the post, my Windows is loading screen would flash up do 2 quick smooth laps of the progress bar and then give me a login prompt. Now, it does about 9 or 10 staggering laps of the progress bar before getting to the prompt.

I've tried swapping in different DIMM modules, I have clean installed windows (a number of times, and that number is about 5) on both the DFI and the Laptop in an effort to regain control, all to no avail.

Any ideas??? What have I done?

EDIT - Other things I've done

Took everything apart (and I mean everything) reseated it all - reapplied Artic Silver

Lots of long CMOS clears (a whole 48 hours whilst I was away this weekend)

Made sure I sorted the ACPI enabled PC thingy in device manager

Edit - Other observation - 3Dmark still scores like it always did and runs stable - just the lan is borked and windows load times are horrendous

ok.. When you flashed the bios did you use switches in dos ?

If so, it sounds like you might have messed up the mac addy .. If you goto command prompt in windows and type "ipconfig /all" ..

Does it show your Ip addy and a mac address of the Nvidia nic ?

Didn't use the DOS switches

Have checked the MAC address - not really sure what I was looking for but the MAC addy on my DFI is different from the Laptop

hmm.. well as long as the mac is different and its not showing up like this "ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff".. Then its prolly not what I was thinking.. Sorry I dont have anymore suggestions.. But sick around im sure someone will. :)

Originally posted by THunDA

hmm.. well as long as the mac is different and its not showing up like this "ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff".. Then its prolly not what I was thinking.. Sorry I dont have anymore suggestions.. But sick around im sure someone will. :)

Yeah I had thought maybe it was the MAC addy at first.

Ok here goes. Big clear, optimal defaults - text book flash to offical 619 - optimal defaults again - voltages set 1.8 core 1.7agp 1.8chip 3.3dimm - reboot - memory and fsb set 2.5,3,3,3,9 200 x 11

Fresh clean install of windows xp w/sp1 inc full repartition and format for both the DFI and my Laptop.

Report back in a couple of hours.

Wow. Ok seems to have done the trick this time. Oddness. I've done a complete reinstall of windows serveral times already and it didn't work.

*sigh of relief*

:) Maybe you can withstand the urge to dork it all up again and leave a good working computer alone and keep this>>

*sigh of relief*

In position and computer alone for awhile. I really don't see memory in your signature that indicates to me you have the overclocking champions of the world in the memory slots anyway.

Sincerely, RGone...

Marking this thread [RESOLVED] after a textbook bios flash...

Originally posted by RGone

:) Maybe you can withstand the urge to dork it all up again and leave a good working computer alone and keep this>>

In position and computer alone for awhile. I really don't see memory in your signature that indicates to me you have the overclocking champions of the world in the memory slots anyway.

Sincerely, RGone...

Marking this thread [RESOLVED] after a textbook bios flash...

Ah RGone, you say the sweetest things :nod: But you know what it's like, have conponents will fiddle. I feel I am just begining to realise the true extent of bios weirdness associated with these boards. For example; flashed both my saviour and main chips with a clean 619. One lets me into windows, one doesn't. One chip flashes faster than the other, strange strange strange.

I'm just happy to get these little lessons learned before my BH-5 turns up next week. Rather get it out the way at 200fsb than 250.

:nod: :shake: :nod: ... aye hardly whut thunk you even noticed how much I wuz cared bout yore stuff? HEheheheheheheheheheehehehehehe.

One lets me into windows, one doesn't

Not sure I know the why of that but then I don't doubt it either and I always 'used' the spare to be able to boot to flash the dorked one and never really try to go to windows with the spare anyway since I can flash DoS without problems.

Good luck with the memory and if you do not 'load optimized' and save and exit "before" you put the new memory in> you will certainly start this round of hardship again.

Plus I never ever start to test BH-5 without putting at the 'least' 3.2V on it and if you look in sigs that reveal it> most BH-5 never leaves the 3.3V setting. It likes volts and only runs with volts on it at elevated rates.

Plus I always 'first' drop the multiplier with strange memory to about 9x or so to try and keep the total mhz at or below the rate my processor will run. Putting new faster memory in does not up the total mhz of the processor so you have to lower the multiplier or you will suffer another round of bios weird as you call it.

Bye air shuggie. Hehehehehehehehe. Careful yuh hear? RGone...:nod: :shake: :nod: