LPB SATA/hang problems???

set-up

2500 xp-m

LP B Nforce2

1Gb Winbond CH6

ATI9800pro

2x Samsung 80Gb (RAID0)

Problem

Was experiencing lag/pauses in 3d applications (games)

HDD light was on then a click from HDD and game would resume (typically 1 - 5 seconds of pause)

then system eventually refused to boot with corrupted system32/config/system file.

So I assumed that 1 of the hDD was knackered and RAID 0 was suffering as a result.

Put new o/s on an old IDE drive and found that all files on RAID 0 were OK.

Backed everything up then split Raid to run as separate drives and installed new o/s on 1 hdd

All seems fine but still get the same lock ups in 3d apps (games and 3d mark etc)

have I been unlucky and picked the problematic HDD for my o/s?

chkdsk shows no bad sectors on either drive.

Any other suggestions????

UPDATE TIME and example of my frustrations....

I ve done a complete reinstall on BOTH SATA drives now and both do the same pause followed by a clunk/click but ONLY in 3D apps.

I have completely different drivers to when it first started on old install.

Moved to XPSP2, latest detonators, latest NF2 drivers..(installed SW_IDE is that ok?)

I even tried scrapping the uniprocessor PC for the ACPI PC = no different now back on uniprocessor on latest install.

The problem is definately worse at higher FSB. 220 = really bad, 200 = not too bad, 166 = bearable.

I'm not overclocking too extreme but would at least like to run as XP3200.

Because of the clonk noise I assumed that it was a physical thing with one of the drives. I've now erradicated that.

It has to be an issue with the 3114 or how the bus addresses it - but why suddenly appear on my old install and refuse to go away even with fresh installs / different drivers etc.

Are there newer 3114 drivers available that could help?

Anythind else I can try??????

This is doing my head in now - whenever I think it has gone, it rears its ugly head and bites me in the @ss.

Tried all manner of different settings RAM timings voltages etc.

Even at 11x166 and slack RAM its still there - although less frequently :confused: :confused: :confused:

First of all, we need a more extensive sig. What bios are you running? What are your settings on the cpu? Etc. Etc. If you can provide us with more information on your rig we can better server you. Refer to the stickies for instructions.

I have a couple of suggestions:

Play around with AGP latency. I keep mine at 32 but your results may vary.

Try a different AGP Apeture. You shouldn't use anything less than 64 and nothing over 256mb.

Try some volts on the AGP card. I run 1.8 daily for complete stability.

Take a look at the 6/19 bios and/or Hellfire's modded bioses for a change (remember to use a bios savior for all unofficial bioses!)

DFI boards are VERY sensitive to memory timings. Make sure that inefficient timings are not dragging your whole system down.

****There is a very good chance that the SW_IDE is your problem. You should have known better than to install it, and I suppose you did otherwise you would not have asked if it was "ok" to do so. You won't lose any performance with its absence but you will gain more stability. Besides, you have NO need for such a driver if you are running SATA raid.****

Take a stab at some of these and then post your results. And DON'T FORGET A GOOD SIGNATURE!

deception``

Thanks deception and sorry for sig - I assumed that all the info from sign in form would extrapolate into sig. (first post here)

I haven't tried AGP latency - will do tonight.

Have tried aperture at 64 and 128.

Have tried 1.6 and 1.7v on AGP = no difference.

AM running 6-19 BIOS

Normally run RAM at 11,2,2,2 but have tried much slacker and lower FSB With 3.1v usually

Have tried with and without SW-IDE - didn't see much difference - will not install it next time. Thought i would install it incase I had to scrap the SATA and put o/s on IDE.

Oh yeah, running CAT4.9 and Nforce3.13

[edit]where do you find AGP latency?[edit]

The SW_IDE drivers are not recommended, uninstall and switch to the MS default drivers.

Have you actually ran the DIAG utility for your drives (made by the drive manufacturer)?

The last drives to do this to me were my Fujitsu's... as you can see they are no longer in my config. Apparently they had bad servo-motors. Check your Event Log (I think System log), and look for entries like "HD not responding within timeout period" or the likes.

mmmm

I got 2 warning types in log file.

ftdisk - the system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

and

disk - an error was detected on device Deviceharddisk0D during a pagin operation.

chkdsk still shows no bad sectors.

Are both these drives faulty or is the system unstable (prime runs fine tho)

Update - memory and 11,3,3,2 and CPC off seems to help. Running 11x200 and appears better than 166x11 (touch wood)

Weird tho have been running at 200x12 & 11,2,2,2 CPC on for months before this.

Watch it come and bite me in the @ss tho when i think its fixed.

Cant see how diag will work as it is DOS based on floppy and wont have drivers for SATA.

Came and bit my @ss tonight too...:mad:

Ran a few loops of 3dmark01/03 and was ok.

Ran prime TFTs (max RAM) and was ok.

Played UT2004 and had a few hdd hold ups.

Nothing reported in log though.

Damn.....is there no cure!!!!!

Don't think Samsung do diag for SATA.....wonder why!

Weird how BOTH drives have same fault within a week of each other :eek:

Just to add to my frustrations - I tried to switch on pc this morning and thought mmm water pump sounds quiet. PC powered off before loading windows. Looks like the pump has packed up over night :eek: back on air now

I blame the g/f - she is addicted to bl00dy spider solitaire and prob left the pump on all night after shutting down pc....damn those L30's get hot when no fans running on rad :eek:

PC's are doing my head in atm - time to roll a phaaat one and get leeeeeeeen.

Sort it l8a :nod:

...but seriously tho guys - cheers 4 help; any further suggestions appreciated.:mad: :mad:

have you tried with just the two sticks of 256? I see you are running 2x256 + 1x512 and not all rigs enjoy that lil config (most are ok but i've seen the oddness).

might help, might not, take a look here:

http://www.angrygames.com/Infinity_bios.htm

http://www.angrygames.com/LP-B_BIOS1.htm

stay away from the NV IDE drivers.

are you using SP1a or SP2?

made sure your water cooling setup is on correctly and functioning properly? (even those of us that do this everyday, all day, still get an issue with our cpu/cooling installs once in a while...its not a knock against you, its just a 'try this one more time just to make sure' sorta thing.

keep us up to date...

Will try the memory sticks thang soon. Cheers. I'll be vexed if it cures it tho :mad: U need 1Gb RAM these days for games. I guess it will mean new ram and u can't buy another 512 winbond stick the same ne more. mmmm

Water cooling now in box under desk but was performing fine. Imprint in AS in both GPU and CPU was indicating good contact and temps were too tbh :D

Back on SLK800 and got 4x120mm case fans. Temps quite comparable to my water tbh.

Back on MS IDE drivers too.

SP2 for XP; although I was on SP1 when problem first arose.

Trust me I've changed every driver and OS type and BIOS setting and overclocking and RAID vs non-RAID and yadda yadda...

The only thing haven't changed is BIOS but it was fine for months after flashing. I remember being quite pleased with stability improvements when i did too - particularly SATA stability ironically ;)

Clutching at straws now aint I? Mind you, I've got F**K all else to clutch at.

Still looking for some guru to come and shed the light :nod: