instability since switching to PC3200 DDRs

My LPB has been very good to me since I upgraded to it.. and while purchasing new components to add to my upgrades spare parts to build a system for my wife... the sales dude told me that their Infineon RAM was the same price whether I bought 2700 or 3200... so I figure Cool! Upgrade for me!

Now I was previously running smoothly running at stock speeds (333Mhz FSB) on my Barton 2500 with my Infineon 2700's set to "By SPD".

I pull my RAM out, slap in the new ones, boot her up, notice that the RAM was stated to be running at 400Mhz... so I launched into the BIOS and switched to the 1:1 ratio to run the RAM @ 333Mhz.

Things seemed just fine for the first week, but I have been experiencing some instability problems. The worst was when the PC locked during playing a 3D MMORPG, and when I rebooted the system stopped with LED 2 and 4 lit (RAM Frequency issue). I pulled out he RAM, reseated it, and booted again no problem.

The instability is still there though, so my questions to the forum are:

1. [*]What programs do you use to test your RAM?

[*]For those that use Hynix based memory, what other changes (other than 1:1 ratio) should I try?

[/list=1] I have never set my own memory timings, so maybe some links to good reference sites would also be a good idea.

Thanks in advance!

here are some more details that may help in pinpointing my issue.

BIOS Memory Settings:

-----------------------------

System Optimal (the only editable memory option)

CPU Interface Optimal

Memory Timing Optimal

T(RAS) 7

T(RCD-Read) 3

T(RCD-Write) 3

T(RP) 3

CAS Latency 2.5

T(RC) 3

T(RFC) 3

T(DOE) AUTO

T(RRD) AUTO

T(W2P) AUTO

T(W2R) AUTO

T(REXT) AUTO

T(R2P) AUTO

T(R2W) AUTO

SuperByPass AUTO

Sync Mode Mem Bypass AUTO

Data Scavenge Rate FAST

Command Per Clock ENABLED

From Winbond HW Doctor

----------------------------------

Sys Temp 35C

CPU Temp 49C (100% CPU utilization, F@H)

Vcore 1.65V

Vagp 1.5V

V+3.3 3.28V

V+5 5.08V

V+12 12.06V

Vdimm 2.65V

V5vsb 5.04V

Vbatt 3.15V

I've checked Angry's sticky and found references to PRIME95 and MEMTEST86.

But before I run out and load up the diags, I am going to try the following changes based on screenies @ the house of Angry:

System EXPERT

CPU Interface AGRESSIVE

Memory Timing EXPERT

T(RAS) 11

and another thing i noticed... CPU Thermal Throttling DISABLED

(currently set to 50%; but running F@H I'm sure it never kicks in anyway)

well, the changes never "hurt" anything so far as I obviously rebooted, so that is a good sign.

I also decided to make a change in Genie BIOS... my AGP was set to AUTO... but I decided to set that to 66Mhz just so that I know that it is set correctly.

Also while I was there, I was reminded that all my voltages are set to AUTO/DEFAULT... which results in the voltages I mentioned above.

I'd like to see that adjusting T(RAS) is my fix... but time will certainly determine that. I'm going to try out that 3D MMORPG just to see what happens... maybe I can inspire some instability.

You know, the more I think about it... other than that one major "in operation" lockup... most instability seems to be present when I bring the system out of "screen saver mode"... hmmm...

Well, i let Prime run (while i slept a bit) for 5 1/2 hours. I let F@H run while Prime was running to make sure CPU utilization was peaked (had to increase Prime's piority as F@H was being a pig).

Anyway, after the 5 1/2 hours... 0 errors and 0 warnings!

I'd like to think that this is a good indication that I've licked it. Time will tell as always.