Sign in to follow this  
cheezies

uwackme's bh-5 burn-in

Yeah it should work just as well.

Update

1st hour 42 passes 182 errors

2nd hour 83 passes 421 errors

still waiting to see that error rate start to decrease

actually you're doing very good till now. I did worse, far more worse with my kingston hyperx pc3200 1gb dc bh5.

First burnin memtest 5 at fsb250 cpc on: like 4600 errors

second like 3800 erros

3rd like 1200

4th like 750

5th like 475

6th like 450

7th like 780 again

i'm now performing the 8th burnin run, i can look when i get home from work.

Each run has run the memtest test 5 for a minimum of 6 hours. Some went for more then 10 hours.

So this proves that this technigue really works.

Errors will eventually dissappeer.

I also did this same procedure with my mushkin pc3500 level2 black 1gb dc bh5 and i got them to run at fsb250 cpc on with the tightest timings possible (alpha timings 2-3-3-3-3-3-4), 11-2-2-2-2-9-12, completely stable without a single error.

Carefull too guys.. I do remember uwackme saying not to let the errors get in to the thousands.. So to keep the timings tight but find a fsb that produces around a couple hundred errors and then keep running that till the errors disappear.. then up the fsb a little and keep doing this procedure untill the max is reached..

Im no pro on the burnin's .. But Id hate to see anyone ruin their wonderfull bh5 .. So it was just a thought.. Maybe uwackme will add some of his great knowledge in here again just to confirm its not dangerous to burnin with that many errors..

Hmmm, what would ruin BH5? Too many volts, too little cooling, bad BIOS settings or a combination of all 3?

I guess heat would be the killer... it always seems to be with computers. I wanna start burning in again, once I have some copper RAMSINKS and done a VDIMM mod, but I don't wanna push it too far.

thanks for ya caring, but i don't concern about that too much.

As for the 8th burnin: errors went down again to just 246, so this is going into the right direction.

I'm going to start the 9th burnin right after this post and of course i'll keep you up to date on it.

5 hours in - an update

1 - 42 passes - 182 errors - 182 this hour

2 - 83 passes - 421 errors - 239 this hour

3 - 125 passes - 661 errors - 240 this hour

4 - 166 passes - 909 errors - 248 this hour

5 - 207 passes - 1071 errors - 162 this hour

hows this going then? It's nice to see that fairly steep drop in errors come in. Need to see what happens next hour, if its a start of a trend or an anomaly

Is this just a characteristic of BH-5? There are no burn in characteristics with the newer TCCD that anybody has discovered yet right?

The strange thing is that at first, I couldn't get 2-2-2-5 even pass 210, now after a few nights of memtest, I can use 2-2-2-5 at 215 with no errors in any memtest. Is this just a psychological effect?

OK 10 hours looping test 5 on my new BH-5 @240FSB X9(Virgin Sticks)

5-2-2-2-2.0-13-14

1-1-4-3-2-4-3-e-e-f-e

3.3v

A grand total of 2270 errors overall. No real sign of a decrease per hour over that time.

Now lossened out the alphas back to auto and set 11-2-2-2-2.0-13-14

raised the multi to 10 - quick loop of test 5 to check stability - 20 passes no errors.

Now back off into windows to play so Counter Strike Source for a bit.

Gonna do this again tomorrow with slightly tighter timmings of

5-2-2-2-2.0-9-12

1-1-3-3-2-3-e-e-f-e

3.3v

For about 10 hours at 245FSB

I shall report back soon.

EDIT - 3DMark 2001 drops out at 240FSB and weirdness off the LAN - Stepped back to 235FSB and all seems well. Maybe a cooling issue on the CPU....?

Originally posted by uwackme

On the errors... a few is ok, but not a bazzillion. You want the ram getting the crap kicked out of it, and too many errors, the program goes into subroutines to log them instead of hammering the ram. So a "few errors"...10-20-50-100 is ok, not not K's.

I like to get it to the point of say 2-4-6 errors and leave it there for 6 hours getting roasted.

It is good to have the ram HOT, just not so hot that you are generating errors from the interace circuits.

Mind you, this is ALL a hypothesis, as winbond them selves havent really come to understand WHAT was happening here...

But I think roasting/beating on the memory cells does some form of slight damage that actually makes them work faster/leak less. But yoou dont want to overheat the interface cicuits that drive the IOpins, you want the errors to be solely from the memory cells themselves, pushed to the limit.

If winbond could ever really figure out WTF was going on, they'd have a very valuable discovery. Something about the physical design of the BH5 memory cells, materials used, feature size .18um/.15um?, etc made them have this very amazing speed ability. Noone, despite SERIOUS efforts and tens of MILLION$ in R+D has figured out an equivalent.

If Micron or Samsung could figure it out they'd crank this . out by the tons.

Even with the new asskicker 939pin A64's, 250Mhz 1:1 5,2,2,2 is KILLER. Gimme 4x 512M @250Mhz quadchannel and Ill break 10K on 3D05 legit :nod:

See what he says about too many errors... Thats why I brought up the fact that some of you's are burning in with over 1k in errors... I mean the thread is called "uwackme's bh-5 burn-in" so I think he knows what he be doing from experience..

;)

ghe ghe 8th burnin run: 270 errors

9th burnin 250 errors

10th burnin 232 errors

11th burnin is now running, again i have to wait till i get home from work to see the results. I'll let you know.

quote:Originally posted by uwackme

On the errors... a few is ok, but not a bazzillion. You want the ram getting the crap kicked out of it, and too many errors, the program goes into subroutines to log them instead of hammering the ram. So a "few errors"...10-20-50-100 is ok, not not K's.

I like to get it to the point of say 2-4-6 errors and leave it there for 6 hours getting roasted.

It is good to have the ram HOT, just not so hot that you are generating errors from the interace circuits.

Mind you, this is ALL a hypothesis, as winbond them selves havent really come to understand WHAT was happening here...

But I think roasting/beating on the memory cells does some form of slight damage that actually makes them work faster/leak less. But yoou dont want to overheat the interface cicuits that drive the IOpins, you want the errors to be solely from the memory cells themselves, pushed to the limit.

If winbond could ever really figure out WTF was going on, they'd have a very valuable discovery. Something about the physical design of the BH5 memory cells, materials used, feature size .18um/.15um?, etc made them have this very amazing speed ability. Noone, despite SERIOUS efforts and tens of MILLION$ in R+D has figured out an equivalent.

If Micron or Samsung could figure it out they'd crank this . out by the tons.

Even with the new asskicker 939pin A64's, 250Mhz 1:1 5,2,2,2 is KILLER. Gimme 4x 512M @250Mhz quadchannel and Ill break 10K on 3D05 legit

I'm sure that was meant as errors per pass, so over 6 hours this would equate to a couple of K