uwackme's bh-5 burn-in

cheezies

right well i don't have an extra pci card(in my mom comp at home) so is there any reason why it won't flash that chip? I put in a new chip and with the same disk it flashed just fine. Iono just an oddity. I was going to mess around with it more after the weekend.

Would giving the Vagp more volts or more mhz help with useing those tight timings for memtest?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i tried running memtest all night for the last 2 nights.

with hynix chips, i think D43.

got 6 errors first night, ran 21 full loops.

then this morning i turn on monitor and WALA!

4 errors, and it did 28 full loops + test 5 then there was a power cut. lol. it ran for 9 1/2 hours, and the night before ony about 8.

so this works also for hynic chips on a64!

thanks for the idea!

Originally posted by uwackme

I was doing ONE stick at a time, and doing CPC ON., 5,2,2,2.0

I actually used my NF7-S as the burnin mule, so the alpha timings etc were ABit default and cpc is on cause at the time there wasn't a CPC off option. But on DFI I'd do alpha's of 1,1,2,1,1,2,1 along with CPC on to be as TIGHT as possible. You dont want to give the ram cells a moments rest.

So 5,2,2,2,2.0; e,e,f,e; 1,1,2,1,1,2,1, auto/auto

Run memtest #5 and see how high you go till you hit just a few errors on a run. At this point put it in loop for 6 hours. Then up the FSB 5-10Mhz see how it is, and loop again for 6 hours. You should see upward progress of the "error" point. But 72 hours is a good ballpark for the process. This is an accelerated effort, most effective in waking up VIRGIN sticks. The last 10+Mhz FSB you will ever get out of the rams WILL take 1-2 YEARS of normal operation.

That is why older Ebay sticks do great and brandy new hyperX3000 sticks start out slow....the older stuff out there "used" has been burned in through use for months/years.

This is also why noone realized initially that BH5 was...GAWD. It took time and burnin before someone noticed HOLYCHIT BATMAN!!!

Cooling during this is paramount. Thats why I resorted to taking OFF the heatspredders and putting a 80mm fan directly over the DIMMs during the burnin....and for any ram "limit" testing actually.

Other variables enter in, what DIMM slots, what Vdd setting is best for your NB chip, what are the limitations of your CPU fsb and Vcore circuits.....when you start reaching the maximums.

I use DIMM1 and DIMM3, and 1.9Vdd...but your setups might like a different arrangement.

Also, once you have gotten the ram closer to its peak, the drivingstrength/Slewrate settings vs what DIMM slots will get you a little more FSB, its all trial and error from here.

** I didnt believe (as an engineer) in burnin on these till I saw it with my own eyes. Took 6 sticks of virgin HyperX3000 which peaked at 185Mhz and got them all to 240-245Mhz with this treatment.

Im looking forward to Vmod'ding my Vdimm to 3.4-3.5V so I can break the 250Mhz barrier....without waiting a year+ :nod:

i tried this

200*10 etc.....1.6vcore/2.8vdimm...and no go

?

only if loosen alpha timings it works.....

uwackme

DFI Inf, 2600+mobile,

2x 512M BH5 e,a,e;11,2,2,2,2.0,9,12,

1,1,4,3,2,4,3,e,e,f,d,6/7/6/7/6/7

9800pro 425/400, 2x 80G Maxtor Sataraid0, 8X-DVD, SuperFlower550,

LX-6A19, XPpro, Nf4.27,Cat4.9b, 9.0c

Bios: HELL_619_HKA_Rev2

240mhz x10.5, 1.85Vcore, 3.3Vdimm

1.8Vdd; 1.8Vgpu, 3.1Vmem 80Mhz

this CPC ON 240 ?????????????

Originally posted by Tedy

i tried this

200*10 etc.....1.6vcore/2.8vdimm...and no go

?

only if loosen alpha timings it works.....

uwackme

DFI Inf, 2600+mobile,

2x 512M BH5 e,a,e;11,2,2,2,2.0,9,12,

1,1,4,3,2,4,3,e,e,f,d,6/7/6/7/6/7

9800pro 425/400, 2x 80G Maxtor Sataraid0, 8X-DVD, SuperFlower550,

LX-6A19, XPpro, Nf4.27,Cat4.9b, 9.0c

Bios: HELL_619_HKA_Rev2

240mhz x10.5, 1.85Vcore, 3.3Vdimm

1.8Vdd; 1.8Vgpu, 3.1Vmem 80Mhz

this CPC ON 240 ?????????????

Tedy... see in his sig where it says e,e,f,d.. That "D" represents cpc off... I believe he put cpc on to slam the memory harder while burnin.. But to be honest every ram is different.. I cant use those alpha settings and cpc on either... Its just too tight and I get too many errors and like uwackme says you wana slam the memory hard but not with too many errors..

Also just to advise you.. When you start messing with alpha timings and all timings in general you should have a safety net for your bios if it corrupts.. In other words it would be good to have one of these three things..

1- Bios savior.

2- Extra bios chip flashed with a good working bios.

3- Another nf2 mobo to hotflash with if needed..

Not sayiing your gona corrupt your bios but just warning you that if it does happen and you dont have a safety net then you might be out of a working computer untill you order a replacement..

THunDA

Originally posted by Tedy

i'll leave alpha timings alone....don't wanna blow up my bios...

but why is DFI bios so fragile ? while ABIT's isnt ?

Well im not totally sure.. But it might have to do with the DFI's having such a feature filled bios..

I think it comes from them running out of room in the cmos for settings, and using a portion of the actual bios rom for storage with the NForce2 design. So every time you change certain settings it ACTUALLY FLASHES the bios chip!! Just a small portion. But so _IF_ that setting makes you a NON-BOOT condition, clearing CMOS wont clear the portion of the settings stored in the actual ROM (as only flshing can alter them). So you end up with what appears to be a "dead" chip. It isnt DEAD its just got settings hardwired in that wont actually boot the system AND no way of you changing back till you put in another rom.

This all stems from the antiquated Intel/IBM architecture with the baby CMOS... rmember the old days when 16K of static ram cost a shitload? Well, its all preposterous now but they are constained by the now STANDARD arrangement. 2x 4x times the CMOS would cost $.01 more, but FKup all the direct-to-hardware software out there.

Thats why we need a serious ARCHITECTURE overhaul on the PC world....just dont let APPLE have any input as they actually SUK WORSE :nod:

As Ive said online many times, the AthlonXP's are so VERY under-utilized its pathetic.

Slap a REAL 256bit (4 DIMM) memory controller on....just like the 9800/X800 boards do for videoram...and you would see some SERIOUS fking BANDWIDTH.

The CPU would see the memory controller as a ZERO waitstate ram, since every time the controller accesses memory it would fetch FOUR 64bit words at 11,2,2,2 and feed that to the Athlon at 1,1,1,1 in the same timng period at 250Mhz (500Mhz datarate). Yes, 2 64bit data-items PER 250Mhz CLOCK tick.

With the x86 (P4+amd) over 90% of all external accesses are "cache line bursts" of 8 64bit accesses. So a memory controller tuned specifically to fullfill THIS access would be the "smart" thing to design. 4 DIMMs of DDR at X,X,X,2.0 deliver 8 64Bit data chunks in 2 clock cycles.

Ask... Cas-2clocks... data(4Dimmx64bit)/data(4Dimmx64bit).... Cas-2clocks... next-data/data... wash/rinse/repeat.

We dont have any Cas 1.0 dynamic ram...yet.

Seriously, DFI or whomever could make such a memory controller for Athlon's anytime they want...$200K-$1M cost.... and the result would seriously SLAPTHESHIT out of the A64, which is crippled by its built in memory controller that dont do any of this :nod:

Of course, break the A64 off the built in memory controller and use a 256bit one and ...OH BROTHER.

It cracks me up that Intel/AMD leave so much speed on the table, untouched, by using piss poor weak memory designs. The DDR like BH5 and TCCD have plenty of potential left in them, just needs to get used.

I built an accelerator for Mac's back in the 68040 days, using the equivalent....128bit... memory controller w/60ns dram SIMMs. It was more than 4X faster than the Mac motherboard controller, just then they got all proprietary and killed off the market potential, too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Just starting my burnin on 2x512 KHX3200K2/1G after their slightly delayed trip accross the atlantic.

Sitting at 240FSB 5-2-2-2-2.0-13-15- 1-1-4-3-2-4-3 e-e-f-e - 3.3v

for my initial burn gonna tighten the alphas a little and up the FSB in about 6 hours.

Early days now 82 errors in 30 minutes and 22 passes