<- Sata / 5.10 SW-IDE Guinea pig

Thank God!

I've been having major corruption issues on my SATA HD and I've been looking around for help... just using one drive, not RAID.

at first it seemed to come from overclocking my FSB too high... fine at 250 FSB... for the most part over that windows needs to run chkdisk every time I reboot just about.

so it could be the RAM... but I'm running OCZ plat rev 2 with TCC5... it does upto 230 with 2-2-2-2-11... It runs memtest86 flawless up to 257.... so I don't think that's the problem.... but I'll try loosening my timings from 2.5-2-2-2-11 to 2.5-4-4-4-11 and see if that helps it...

I don't think that's it.. because even when I'm keeping the FSB low and pushing the multi, when windows with freeze or BSOD i'll get corruption of my HD that way as well...

but the nvidia IDE driver... I've always installed that instead of the MS default... and uwackme did a great job explaining how that could be it... I'm running NV 5.10 drivers... I'll have to test using the MS default drivers and see if that fixes the problem...

I'll post back results.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've haven't used the NV SW-IDE drivers much at all, with the exception of once quite

awhile ago. I didn't have a SATA drive back then and seemed to be okay, but that was

with a different mobo too.

Even since getting this DFI UI board I've basically always stuck with the MS drivers,

using both SATA and PATA drives. No issues so far to report.

I have heard from others that do use the NV SW-IDE drivers, that the newer NV versions

are supposed to be better than older versions might be. Unsure if that helps or not, but

I didn't read through all the post in here either.

Just throwing some comments into the mix.

Hope all goes well for you Darien, and others.

I'm running an 80gb on the PATA side that I do weekly backups on from my SATA raid. I'm using the IDE driver that came with 5.10. Will I be okay as far as this corruption deal goes or should I find another driver?

The bottom line is what happens to you...

I've always used the latest NV drivers in my Abit AN7 NF2 board and never had any problems (hope loggan26 doesn't hear me say that :P )...

I, like others, thought, "what does the IDE driver have to do with the SATA HD".... well apparently a lot... I don't know for sure if this will help me or not... but I'll try anything... getting ready to test it out now that I am home....

as long as you do weekly back ups you'll probably be fine... but for me, on my particular system... I'm getting kicked in the balls VERY HARD.... repeatedly, with this SATA issue... I'm not having to look for it... I'm praying to God to find a way to avoid it.... with me, I'm having chkdisk run over half the time I boot above 250FSB or after a BSOD or windows freeze from pushing my OC to far.... and with me it's only a matter of time before my sacrificial overclocking windows installation is blown to hell and I have to format the partition and start over...

if you're not having these problems... you're probably OK.

EDIT:

I'm running the N24LB24 stock bios with the latest 5.0.64 SATA Raid Bios implemented by loggan26... but was having the same issues with the old 5.0.52 SATA Bios from Tmod's CD

Winblows XP sp2

Clean install

- F5 - ACPI PC

- F6 - Tmods 1008 sata drivers

- APIC off

Nvidia 5.10 drivers

rest is in my sig

I was having trouble finding a way to uninstall the nVidia swIDE drivers and I found this... may be helpful to some

If you still have issues just install the MS drivers over the Nvidia ones.

Right click on my computer->Properties->

Hardware tab->Device manager (middle -right)

Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Will have standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (or similar)

Don't do the primary or secondary channels. They are children of the main.

Right click on the standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller and select "Update driver".

Then select "install from a list or specific location"-> next

Select "Don't search. i will choose the driver to install" -> next

Select "standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (or similar)" -> next

Reboot machine to take effect.

Okies

Reboot

I as having serious data corruptions problems before I reinstalled windows with Avanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI). It was Uniprocesser before. Running 5.0.52. Working great now, as far as I can tell. I'll just have to keep a look out for problems.

The bottom line is what happens to you...

I've always used the latest NV drivers in my Abit AN7 NF2 board and never had any problems (hope loggan26 doesn't hear me say that :P )...

I, like others, thought, "what does the IDE driver have to do with the SATA HD".... well apparently a lot... I don't know for sure if this will help me or not... but I'll try anything... getting ready to test it out now that I am home....

as long as you do weekly back ups you'll probably be fine... but for me, on my particular system... I'm getting kicked in the balls VERY HARD.... repeatedly, with this SATA issue... I'm not having to look for it... I'm praying to God to find a way to avoid it.... with me, I'm having chkdisk run over half the time I boot above 250FSB or after a BSOD or windows freeze from pushing my OC to far.... and with me it's only a matter of time before my sacrificial overclocking windows installation is blown to hell and I have to format the partition and start over...

if you're not having these problems... you're probably OK.

EDIT:

I'm running the N24LB24 stock bios with the latest 5.0.64 SATA Raid Bios implemented by loggan26... but was having the same issues with the old 5.0.52 SATA Bios from Tmod's CD

Winblows XP sp2

Nvidia 5.10 drivers

rest is in my sig

This is a blast fae the past and maybe the fix Darien is looking for, i assumed that most dont really use the SWE driver, i dont and havent for a long time so i guess thats one of the reasons corruption hasnt reared its ugly head on my system when running 250+fsb. Keep us informed Darien let us know how you are getting on.

Ps i am running 2x80gb WdJB800 Pata in Raid0 on sata adapters, the Helfire 619 with the 12.18 Romsip with 5.064 Sil bios Or the Original Oscar Wu 12.18 with 5.064 depending on what i want to push. I also have a 80Gb Maxd9 Pata on Ide that i get no prob with.

This is a blast fae the past and maybe the fix Darien is looking for, i assumed that most dont really use the SWE driver, i dont and havent for a long time so i guess thats one of the reasons corruption hasnt reared its ugly head on my system when running 250+fsb. Keep us informed Darien let us know how you are getting on.

Ps i am running 2x80gb WdJB800 Pata in Raid0 on sata adapters, the Helfire 619 with the 12.18 Romsip with 5.064 Sil bios Or the Original Oscar Wu 12.18 with 5.064 depending on what i want to push. I also have a 80Gb Maxd9 Pata on Ide that i get no prob with.

Unfortuneately no...

just did 2-3 rounds of testing with 255 x 10 then it hosed my windows installation... not freezing, no BSOD, no problems... but runs chkdisk on reboot, then started to BSOD on booting to windows, now can't boot do to a corrupted windows installation file...

I did however take your advice loggan... I did d/l partition magic and ghost and I created a back up image of my finished installation before I ever overclocked it... so recorvery should be quicker...

but I'm really confused about this...

250 FSB is cool 255 is NOT... I loosened my timings all the way to 3-2-2-11... didn't matter...

installed the M$ default IDE driver... didn't matter...

to my knowledge all NF2 boards have a locked PCI clock... but I'd be happy to turn the AGP/PCI down... but it's already set to 66/33...

any ideas?

Have you tried doing a clean install of Xp, have you tried another install of xp for by the one you have, have you tried other drivers, just try it as what you think it cant be sometimes is the answer your looking for.

Try other drivers and xp install cause it sounds to me like a poss software prob.

running by things for ya to try as sometimes a second thought might help.

You mentioned 250 being fine, but to what degree did you test out 250 before

determining that it's running okay? Not trying to bark at you, just curious how

extensively you tested out your 250 config before moving forward.

In other words, what progs/utilities or stress testing programs have you used

to check for stability and/or whether you have an error prone configuration or

not?

You mentioned 250 being fine, but to what degree did you test out 250 before

determining that it's running okay? Not trying to bark at you, just curious how

extensively you tested out your 250 config before moving forward.

In other words, what progs/utilities or stress testing programs have you used

to check for stability and/or whether you have an error prone configuration or

not?

toaster stable... Overclocking database stable...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11376

Pi32 stable... memtest86+ stable for 4 hours....

I could have my toaster sig now if I wanted... but I decided to wait and push it up before getting one...

King of Nothing said he would hook me up, but I don't wanna have to ask him to redo my sig in week or two.

now... 255 would be stable (mabye) if it didn't corrupt the living hell out of my drives.... 255 x 10 is bench stable... but I haven't bothered to do extensive stability testing @ 255 for obvious reasons...

also... weird problem.. my chip can to 2.7Ghz.... sweet chip... can do 200 x 13.5... can even go a tad higher... but will NOT do 250 x 10.5 = 2625 !!!?!?!?! very weird and a total bummer.. I'd be very happy with 250-255 x 10.5... and the chip can handle the Mhz.. but that combo isn't stable in windows