Sign in to follow this  
Legacy

Another XP3200/NF2 Ultra B .... Query

:confused: ....does your motherboard have four (4) Sata ports or just one (1)? Your title of the motherboard is misleading.

If it has a single SATA port for a single SATA drive = describe it as Lp"A" motherboard for ease of indentification.

If it has four (4) SATA ports then describe it merely as a Lp"B" and we all should know what it is. No reason to throw that misleading A into the motherboard discription as there is ONLY one revision so far of the LpB motherboard.

Ultra Infinity also has 4 SATA ports and is the wild little sister to the the BigSis LpB motherboard and most descriptions of those two are nearly interchangeable as regards speed settings and bios settings.

Sincerely, RGone...

Hi guys....

Sorry for not responding as quick (i've been tied up - 'not literally' unfortunately!! LOL)

I'll Get the specs of the PSU later this evening and post them up!!

:Re the Bios.... i had a quick look for the Bios Savior.... any recomendations on where to order one from?? B]

Yes my mobo has 4 x SATA connectors....

re the VALUE ram......

I've popped back to the place that I have bought most of my gear from.......

.... he smiled as I walked in....

He is VERY helpful and is quite willing to replace the RAM...... He asked that I initially try some RAM that he recommended, but if this fails he will get me Twinmos (or whatever I want):angel:

The RAM he gave me has the following details:

Elixir

M2U51264DS8HB3G-5T

512MB DDR-400Mhz-CL3

on the side of each chip/module is:

N20S25680BT-5T

I have not heard of this brand, neither have I heard it mentioned in many forums, but as he is being VERY helpful, I tought I would give it a go??

Appolgies, if you think I do not heed what you have been telling me...... just thought it may be worth trying 'another brand' to see if it's any good'

Many thanks and speak laters!!

Phil

:nod

Evening all.....

PSU details are as follows:

( I hope it keeps it's format do it is readable!!)

AC INPUT : 115/230V~,8/4 5A 50-60Hz

Model Output +3.3 +5 +12 -5 -5 -5VSB

PIV-650-12 30A 32A 35A 0.3A 0.8A 2.0A

+3.3V & +5 - Combined Load 200W

+3.3V, +5V & 12V Combined Load 530W

Total output 550W max

please advise

Kind regards

Phil

Your psu should be ok. However all memory is rated at 3-3-3, I myself have never had much luck at those timmings. My KHX3000 would not run the rated speeds on my Infinity, in my NF7-S it does 2-2-2-11 with 2.8 volts at 200 fsb. I would try diff mem myself.

:) I just sat down and wrote a rather detailed what to do to get acquainted with the DFI sister boards for Travace another poster. He and you are in some respects in the same situation. You need to know 'about' yOuR board. So I am setting you a link here that points back to that post I just did. Almost had to rewrite the whole dang thing because my ISP went down when I tried to post it. But I got it all saved and in order.

Check out the links and pics. The Elixir memory would be one of my last choices. You have a high performance mobo and you need good fast memory for it. I know your corner store had been good to you up to this point but they don't have the real clues to the nature of 'what' they sold you and you must get the clues and knowledge to get to running good.

Check the link here to the post where I just tried to get another up to speed. I am migrating to the next faster series of boards as are many many of the guys who were in the 32bit section giving out help and answers. You guys are on the back of the wave and need to learn to search out the answers we ALL have previously posted. There is not a single thing that one coming into the forums today> that has not bee previuosly beat to death in 'text' in the forum here or somewhere, but likely here.

I will be checking to see what you get as answers in here and your progress forward.

My posted "get started with the Sisters thingy"...

Sincerely, RGone...

Hi RGone....!!

Many thanks for your response.!!

WOW!! I'm gonna spend some time digesting that!!

That Link is EXACTLY what I have been looking for!! (now in my favourites!!) ;) but I ain't had much luck....(coz i'm not tooo sure what i was looking for...!!

I will undoubtedly spend the weekend reading and hopefully understand some of it.....

I understand with the RAM and I have not yet trialled it.... I wanted to keep him on my side!! (makes things that much easier)

I've follwed the link to the bios savior and plan on ordering one over the weekend.......

It links to one your side of the pond, yet i assume that I may be able to get one this side. I just hope the model numbers are the same (I would think so)..

Once read and bios savior installed I'll be in a better position to begin...........

I feel like I'm in training to become a Jedi...... !!!

Hope you have a great weekend and will speak very shortly....

Many thanks & KIND regards

Phil

:) ...Phil I figured from my first contact with you that you were a 'super' sort of guy who just needed more knowledge and skills to play with high performance. You could have bought a much less demanding motherboard to "just" computer on. I am sure of that. DFI makes tons of plain jane motherboards for joesixpack type of use. I mean a bunch of them. I had no idea the size of their product line. All I was privvy to at first was the hotrod stuff. You sir bought one of the premier NF2 rocket boards. Rockets are by nature in space travel a tweaked affair. They want the right fuel at the right time and the DFI sisters want memory they like and plenty of power from a clean regulating power supply.

1. Try Ekidata on your side of the pond. They sell them preflashed and non-preflashed. RD1-PMC4 is the model off the top of my head that fits your board. Pre-flashed costs a little more. Not sure how much as not familiar with the money system over there.

2. Many people have had more than a small share of problems with the XP3200+ processor. I do not know why. Some over here just seemed to get bad one's from a batch and others just did not find the motherboard to work well with that processor. Most of us over here run the 45watt mobile processor in 24/25/2600+ speed and have little trouble. I say this because even though they have swapped processors the 3200+ may never do well for you and I do not know why and never expect to.

I think the link you followed and what more I added here will totally keep you busy and involved for a while. Much longer than just a weekend. Hehehehehehe. You have a good weekend too man and I will continue to check on you as your progression goes forward.

Sincerely, RGone...

PS: now you see why I asked you to check in over here. You are at least dead in the middle of DFI users. RGone...Again...

Originally posted by Legacy

I feel like I'm in training to become a Jedi...... !!!

LOL.. I kinda felt the same way..

You psu doesnt sound too bad specs wise.. although im not too sure on the actually quality of that brand..

You can also try that ram but NF2's tend to not like cas3 ram that much.. Plus you will get much better performance with cas2 or cas2.5 ram.. Although if its cas3 ram that will run at 270fsb then its good.. hehe..

I see you gots some good reading from RGone.. well get to it and take your time.. any other Q's just ask..

THunDA

I'm glad you appreciate my sense of humour....... not always an easy thing to get across 'in forums'.....

So........ I hear your comments....... re PSU and RAM.....

What are the choice products???

RAM = ????

PSU = ????

Money, no object (well....... within reason;)) what would they be???

I undestand it's not 'allways' the case that if you pay more you get more...... but generally it is the case.....

Cheers

Phil (still reading!!!)

RAM is easy to answer. Anything with BH-5 chips on it. Old hyperx, corsair ll v1.1 etc. Twinmos and a company called Ram Bo used these chips for a while but people have not always had much luck with these make in the DFI boards.

Look for low latency timings on the modules like Cas 2 2,2,5 and it may be BH-5. I just bought a pair of Kingston Hyperx with BH-5 of ebay for about $280 (might seem expensive to you guys in the USA but over in the UK £170 is dirt cheap, can't even buy the new CH-5 revisions for that)

For PSU., something with nice solid rails. The new OCZ PSUs look pretty nice with tweakable outputs. But then saying that I've never had a problem with my TrueBlue. Look for at least a 480watt if not a little more.

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!! run away from Elixir ram....run run.....

The original Kingston Valueram you quoted is good for 200Mhz 11,3,3,3,2.5 13,15; efed, 6,5,6,3,3,5,6, auto/auto @ 2.9-3.0V max. Going over 3.0V will make it angry. I have 2x 256M of it and am getting 220Mhz dual channel at these timings from it @3.0V.

the Elixir . is SOOOOOO FKING BAD I cant get it to go over 145Mhz!!! Even though its rated PC3200.

If you are going to buy new ram, the last RETAIL NEW BH5 is sitting at Zipzoomfly as Kingston KHX3000K2/1G a dual channel kit 2x 512M sticks, $240US. But if you end up stuck with anything, let it be the KVR not the Elixir.

You MX440.... use the "coolbits" registry hack on the normal NVidia drivers to be your OC utility....much cleaner. Clockrate gets added to the NV controlpanel.

For PSU, find a Fortron 350W w/120mm fan as a minimum, I prefer the Fortron 530W or the SuperFlower 550W with 120mm fan.... they run about $75US here, lots of places in EU sell them.

Bios 10/15 needs to GO, 6/19 is great.

Hi... and thanks for the replies guys.....

Already understand your comments and RAM is back at the shop.....

Gave him the list that is available on here (with TwinMos as being No1) so he is going to contact his supplier on Monday and see if he can either get me the Twinmos (1st choice) or corsair (2nd)....

Should I be considering a new grfx card??

I'm still reading through many of the links that Rgone has put me onto....... but noticed on one that it mentioned that Geforce cards are not always liked by this board......

Thanks..... and hopefully by the time I have read up on it all... i'll have some decent RAM and be ready to rock and roll..... (I'd like to hit the 200fsb!!!! and take things a step at a time from there) WITH EVERYONES HELP/GUIDANCE of course....

Many thanks and kind regards

Phil