Sign in to follow this  
rmx

Which one of these will work with the 250 chipset as a cooler?

This one or this one? I am looking to replace the passive one it currently has with something that glows blue but I am not sure which, if any, will fit under my X800 PRO VIVO with Zalman ZM80D-HP. I am not afraid to break out the sand paper and thin it down if I have too... but I would like to know which one of the two will make a better fit. I once saw someone post a picture here having a blue cooler that looked like a Vantec but it has since disappeared. :( Thank you for your help.

setup as you and tried the chipset cooler.

about my only complaint is the placement of the AGP, makes using the PCI slot under the AGP useless, and the little chipset interference problem.

since i am running with a tt cooler on the vid card, i can use either the micro cool unit or the swifty 159 unit (presently on there), close, but clears the vid card.

things are a little tight in this region.

like with all things, there is always room for improvement.

still a heck of a board.

baldy

:D

If we are thinking about the same picture, it was one of those Vantecs - I don't remember which. I think he said he had to do some modding to get it to fit.

I am going to go with the Vantec CCB-A1C. It is slightly smaller and will fit under a VGA Silencer, so it should fit your setup.

The PRO vantec iceberg cooler is designed for video cards. It's fairl sizeable, something like 2 and a half inchs in diameter. The other one, the non pro, is smaller and designed to fit with clips on most motherboard northbridge chipsets.

However, that being said, I have the pro right now on my chipset. It's much bigger then the chip so I couldn't use any clips. Just had to use some artic silver thermal adhesive to make it stay there. The reason I went with the bigger one is becuase of the noise factor. Those small little whining northbridge cooling fans just irritate the hell out of me. I can't stand the whining buzz they produce. The bigger pro is much better when considering noise polution.

Originally posted by mad mikee

Go look at my post in the installed thread for pic (sorta) toward the end of the thread.

How exactly did you pull it off? What did you have to do to the cooler to make it fit and also which one of the two did you buy?

W/ the help of 'MR DREMEL' and 'MR Ratshack NIBBLE TOOL' :D

Nibbled off mounting extensions and a slot for the 'flat' crystal, next to where one of the screws that hold on the plastic top go into the base. (Need erm... uh... I mean builds strong hands getting through the copper.) Next set it down and noticed little round 'can' (silver) that may be another crystal :confused: (just left of the first crystal) that was blocking me from flat goodness :mad:. Dug out a valley in the base to match it w/ the dremel (I used an old carbide bit, u could use file, grinder, etc.) Didn't even affect the fins on top :shake:

Next notice the fine Nvidia tradition of making chips that resemble salad bowls (NOT FLAT). and since I removed any way of fitting it on anyway, used 1.5 parts artic AL, 1 part same epoxy resin, and 1 part same hardener. (sets faster and is like stiff rubber, easy to remove if you need to). 1/2 hr set time later (safe > sorry) it was off to the races :nod: