Sign in to follow this  
fsh42na

Serious Problems With 250gb Lp

If my memory was a problem, it shouldn't cause the symptoms described, right?

That can cause the need to retry.

Sincerely, RGone...

regarding the Seagates, i was visiting AMDmb.com and found another DFI a64 user that is having problems with a Seagate, wouldn't allow install, lots of errors, removed Seagate, all is well. it was not the primary drive, but used as a slave.

now i know this is not scientific, only two reports of Seagates not liking the new DFI, but it is curious none the least since it is the same manu, and may indicate a possible compatibility problem......................

baldy:D

About windows XP installs... I've built several systems and I've always had problems installing XP directly from a CD. I don't know why. Used both OEM and retail CDs on all sorts of systesm. I found this works best from me though.

Grabbed a copy of the custom XP boot disk from bootdisk.com It used to be free but now you have to pay 4 bucks through paypal but it's worth it. I have a copy and use it still.

Anyhow, I boot from that, make my partitions with fdisk and format. The partitions are going to be fat32 at first because they are made in DOS. Then I copy the i386 folder off the windows CD and put it on the drive I want to install XP on. SOMETIMES, I still get errors with it not being able to find files during the DOS based install part of XP. It is always the same files, 4 of them that never gets found (least with the CDs I use). I just press X to skip the file at that part. When the "windows" installation begins it'll ask me for thsoe files again. I can then tell it to look on the CD for them. Always finds them and then finishes the install.

I finally made a "copy" of my retail XP installation CD that works better then the original though. What I did was take that i386 folder I put on the hard drive and re-copy the files that my retail CD has a hard time installing directly from my c:windowssystem32 folder. Then burned a copy of that i386 folder to a CD and viola, never have problems unless I happen to misplace the CD, which happens often and I'm forced to use the above steps with my retail CD which I keep locked up.

Also, I forgot to mention, as others have said some drives really don't like working in certain spots. I have a couple of hard drives ranging from 4GB to 120GB that only work in certain spots. This is regardless of what I set the jumpers on the drive to. I have a 120 maxtor that will ONLY work as a slave on the secondary IDE. I've tried a dozen different ways to get it to work in other configurations but it completely refuses. It never used to do that, when I originally bought it I could put it anywhere. Then one day it disappeared. Thought the drive was bad, took it out was messing around with stuff then accidentally stumbled upon how it would now only work on the secondary channel as a slave only. This was after much trial and error on my part in more then a few different systems.

Doc giggs,

Can I reach out and hug ya? That "i386" file is the first of 3 or 4 files that it asks for. I just hit "retry" and it typically finds them and the install goes OK. When I get home I'm gonna have to try your suggestion. It's really make me warm and fuzzy talking to someone else who has gone through exactly what I'm going through. I guess the fact that the OS eventually finishes install should be enough for me, but my anal side wants to know why.

Rgone had suggested possible bad memory last night. I tossed and turned over that possible issue with my $300 memory!

One last thing, once when I still had my Seagate in the mix, I was installing XP and the puter stopped and flashed a warning about a physical memory dump; shutdown to prevent damage to the system, etc. It hasn't happened with my new SATA drives, but do you think this was just part of the Seagate incompatibility or possible symptoms of bad memory?

Thanks again

Well, it turns that my problems were related to 2 things:

(1). This boards HATES Seagate drives. If this drive was hooked in any form or fashion - master, slave, cable select- I'd get "device installer errors" for CDROM, disk drive and battery. Once disconnected, I stopped receiving these errors.

(2). One or both of my sticks of Ballistix memory were bad. With memtest 86 v3.1, I got non-stop errors on test 5. I didn't trouble shoot which stick cause this QC issue made me leary. I've got 2 sticks of OCZ pc3200 EL plat. ed. rev.2 coming in. Last night for the hell of it, I installed XP using 1 stick of Corsair value select (pre-tested with memtest!) and the installation went without a hitch. No "can't find file" errors and definitely no blue screen "physical memory dump".

NOTE TO SELF: ALWAYS CHECK MEMORY BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH INSTALLATION!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.:nod: