Sign in to follow this  
fsh42na

Serious Problems With 250gb Lp

Today, I sat down to set up my NF3 250gb lanparty. Problem is I can't get through the installation of XP without the following error messages:

"Device Installation Error"

Windows could not load the installer for CDROM. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance.

This message is repeated for "disk drive" and "battery"

Later, another message pops up:

essentially, it says there was a problem installing this hardware: "system". "Data Invalid"

Later I get a message saying that there was a problem with my Windows CD. So I reinstall with another copy (both legal OEM CD's) and I get the same messages. What's going on?

The first copy of win pro xp has been installed 2 systems - this being the 2nd. First system is defunct, so I am not breaking any rules here.

My first foray into A64 land was with the MSI neo platinum. My ps2 port didn't work with that board, but at least I could install XP without a hitch.

Please help.

":mad:

you have played with bios settings and overclocked trying to load winXP> I have never heard of such from anybody.

Remove this and try it>Pioneer D107 DVD burner<.

Sincerely, RGone...

Edit: you need to specify SATA or EIDE/PATA drives in sig.

Rgone,

thanks for the reply. I actually made some progress since I posted. (I need to update my sig).

This is what I started out with:

DFI NF3 250gb

A64 3400+

2 x 512mb Crucial Ballistix PC3200

Leadtek 6800GT video card

Maxtor 120gb Master on pri. ide

Seagate 200gb Slave on pri. ide

Liteon 52 x CDRW master on sec. ide

NEC 3500 DVD burner slave on sec. ide

OCZ 520 ps

XP pro sp1

Coolermaster Wave Master

The above combo gave me the problems I described.

Same stuff didn't give me any problems with my MSI neo plat. (just defective PS2 port made me rma it)

When I disconnected the Seagate slave and NEC 3500 slave, I was able to install without a hitch. My next step will be reconfigure my Maxtor to slave and Seagate to master and same for CDRW and NEC drives. Why do these DFI boards seems so picky regarding orientaion of drives? My LP B had the SAME problem seeing my Seagate as a slave.

:) ...I think you answered your own question:>

Why do these DFI boards seems so picky regarding orientaion of drives? My LP B had the SAME problem seeing my Seagate as a slave.

Fourth (4th) word from the end of the quote. Is the one I see in most peoples sig when they seem to have problems and it would seem to me a very logical conclusion that if you had it with and older board and move to a newer and completely different board and chipset and the problem persists > the problem is not with boards or chipsets but the plugged on hardware itself and yet we want to blame mother board first.

I have a LiteOn CdRw that refused to work unless it was master and the poor DVDrw in setup with it did not care 'where' I put it. That stuff happens and finding the combination is the key not the how but the what.

Sincerely, RGone...:nod:

"Maxtor 120gb Master on pri. ide

Seagate 200gb Slave on pri. ide

Liteon 52 x CDRW master on sec. ide

NEC 3500 DVD burner slave on sec. ide"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

i separate HD's and opticals.

ide 1, primary HD and DVD/CD-rom

ide 2, secondary HD, burner.

with ide 2, you may want to change the order to burner as master (many systems just like it that way anyway) and HD as slave.

i have had problems with Seagates in the past, usually it was the jumper config, much like the WD's, sometimes the CS jumper setting is what takes to make the marraige work properly.

and, it appears the common denominator here is the pesky seagate drive, not the motherboard.

i am sure you can work this out.

good luck.

baldy:D

thanks for all the replies guys. I met with further frustration last night before I fell asleep (tossing and turning). I rearranged the order of drives:

Seagate and Maxtor on pri. ide; cable select - seagate at the end or master slot.

NEC master, liteon slave on sec. ide

This setup gave me the same error messages of "device installer error". So it seems that this board no likey Seagate drives (whereas the same chipset mobo - MSI neo plat.- did OK). I'll have to run out and get a Maxtor at Fry's. Now I just hope that the "CDROM" reference in one of the error messages isn't referring to my new NEC dvd burner. Cause if it is, I'll have to shelve my DFI for a diff. mobo.

Bldeegl2 - haven't ever mixed optical drives with hard drives before because of "rules" stemming back to the old days. However, I have heard that it's done without consequence nowadays. Maybe I'll give it a shot later.

So you'd do this:

primary ide - primary hard drive, CDRW

sec. ide - sec. hard drive, DVD burner?

thanks again

sounds good.

anyway, you may have to play with the secondary ide config, sometimes the burner's work better with the Master setting.

in the 'old' days, there were some setups that the CD roms would not work unless they were on the primary as a slave (Packard Hell for one), put them on the secondary ide, no findee CD rom.

baldy

:D

bldegle2,

will this board allow for SATA drives run as non-raid? I'm tempted to get a SATA drive since my Seagate is incompatible with this board and those skinny non-airflow restricting SATA cables look so nice. If this is possible, is it possible to run a PATA (maxtor) and a SATA in a master-slave setup?

Thanks for your help and advice.

...no master/slave setup in SATA each SATA channel supports only "A" drive. But you certainly can set the bios correctly and run one SATA drive there and an EIDE drive on the onboard EIDE. Whether or not it is fine with Seagate I have no clue. I have 2 SATA Hitachis in raid 0 channel 3/4 and one EIDE Maxtor on master of Primary EIDE. THat much I do know.

Sincerely, RGone...

Maybe it's fate that I had problems with my Seagate. I went to Fry's with the intention of getting another PATA drive to go with my Maxtor PATA. However, once I got there I saw they had a sale on WD SATA 160gb drives, so I picked up a matching set. Finally, I'll be able to use my SATA cables that I keep getting with my new mobos. I don't plan on setting up RAID, however, the improved airflow can only help with my "hot" new cpu and video card.

Other than enabling the SATA ports in the bios, is there anything else I need to set in the bios to set up my puter. I'd love to just plug them in and install my OS straight up.:P

Thanks all

Well the new drives seem to working well. Other, one instance where I couldn't access the 2nd drive during partitioning via XP, things went pretty well.

One recurring issue came up though. During OS install, there were several instances when a certain file couldn't be found and I was asked to make certain the XP cd was in the drive. If I hit retry, the install would continue OK. However, one time I had to hit "retry" several times for the same file till the install continued. At one point, it said that the registry had a problem, but that it recovered successfully.

This weekend has left me frazzled. I just want some peace.

My questions are:

If the OS finished install, despite the "retry" attempts, was it a good installation or one doomed to be glitchy.

If my memory was a problem, it shouldn't cause the symptoms described, right?

Could my OEM XP CD's be damaged?

Could my CDRW or DVD burner (both brand new) be part of the problem?

Thanks for you help