Cool -N- Quiet: NF3 250Gb

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by sirfergy

So CoolNQuiet causes my machine to crash. :(

That was the only reason I bought this motherboard.

Only for testing, set your Ramfrequency to 5:6 166Mhz in BIOS.

HTT has to be 200Mhz.

With this settings C&Q runs on my system....

But i don't want to use my DDR400 as DDR333 ...... ;)

Originally posted by sirfergy

So CoolNQuiet causes my machine to crash. :(

That was the only reason I bought this motherboard.

honestly...and this isnt intended to be rude or anything negative...but you bought the wrong board.

We'd love to have people buy our boards in droves...but this board, while supporting the NF3 chipset features, was not built for the 'average' user.

Anyone that bought this board just to throw in a case and never touch it...you all bought the wrong board. You should have purchased an Asus or MSI or Gigabyte NF3, or Abit VIA.

While I've mentioned before that Oskar is still working on C&Q for those of you that cannot get it working...remember also what I just said...the board supports the NF3 features (of which C&Q is one of, and there's only a small number of you with problem getting it to work)....but this board was never intended, nor was it built, for it to run C&Q @ stock/default speeds.

you dont put an alcohol-fueled 1800HP engine in a Ford Pinto to grocery shop.

seriously sirfergy, if you only want the C&Q feature on the board...return it and get another brand. Or get our VIA K8T800 board. A lot of other NF3 boards perform slightly better (tho barely as to make it negligible) at standard default, stock speeds, and C&Q works perfect.

no board that I know of can match the DFI NF3 for sheer monstrosity in overclocking/performance once you leave default/stock speeds behind...which is what it was made for.

Hello everybody ! Just my two cents (and my first post =)

There are times in which I love to overclock, and this board is the best. But there are times in which I'm not in front of the monitor and I love to leave the machine alone doing his stuff (internet downloads :angel: ), and C&Q is a great possibility to keep the temperatures and energy bill down ;-P

I have the mobo since two days, previously had a Gigabyte nforce3 150, and C&Q support was perfect (ok ok overclocking su**ed a little bit =)

By crystalcpuid I could see FSB and clock of the computer in real time, and the FSB was always at 200mhz, while the clock went from 2200 to 800 (4x multiplier). Two memory modules (the same I'm using with the DFI mobo). Never a problem.

Now C&Q doesn't work very good here, BSOD everywhere, before seeing in this forum that it is a general problem I ran the Smartguardian and the cpu voltage is very strange ... normally is 1.43-1.47 (have an Enermax 465w PFC, should be 1.50 ?!) but when idle (=C&Q on) it goes down to 1.20 (if I remember well, maybe a little more, 1.24 or so). Is that normal ? I mean, I don't know if with Gigabyte the voltage went down too.

Basically I suspect it's the cpu that doesn't handle the voltage down. But I'm only a newbie, maybe it's really the ram modules (goes quickly from 400 to 333 mhz and back no ?). But again, same modules with Gigabyte, never a problem.

My temps: 44 (using Gigabyte 3d cooler with heat pipes) - 43 - 40 (idle) with standard clocks.

Yes that's high. A little bit worrying ... it's 25° here in my room now.

Originally posted by Angry_Games

....but this board was never intended, nor was it built, for it to run C&Q @ stock/default speeds...

That's maybe YOUR point of view.......

Oscar AND DFI-Managemant seems to think a litlle bit different.... ;)

On DFI Webside, in Manual, on every MainboardBOX C&Q is advertised as standard function....

Slow down and wait.....

I think the DFI-Management not like to see these words from you.....

But let's make peace and wait for Oscars updates......

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT:

Nevermind, it ended up crashing again, although it did take much longer to crash. :)

So updating to the 10/15 bios apparently solved my CnQ problems. Did you change anything between the 10/05 and 10/15 other than adding memtest?

People keep saying that if u didn't buy this board for overclocking to go buy a new board.

well the board might be for overclocking, but amd doesn't put it's chips out there for overclocking..

DFI might have marketed this board as an overclocker but amd doesn't market that way..

if this board is stable etc, is fast why not just have it in ur system if u wont overclock.

I'd rather now its stable and has the ability to be clocked higher if wanted, than have some board with more problems

Originally posted by alex1971

That's maybe YOUR point of view.......

Oscar AND DFI-Managemant seems to think a litlle bit different.... ;)

On DFI Webside, in Manual, on every MainboardBOX C&Q is advertised as standard function....

Slow down and wait.....

I think the DFI-Management not like to see these words from you.....

But let's make peace and wait for Oscars updates......

this is Oskar's point of view as well as mine. Whether it is DFI's point of view or not neither he nor I know. You are free to tattle to upper management if you wish about what I, Oskar, Rgone, anyone might think, that is up to you.

C&Q works for a majority of people. We apologize if it isn't working for you. Oskar is working on the problem still but it seems that the very few of you that it does not work for...it should work for. Oskar hasn't been able to not get it to work for him in the lab, or the times he can get it to function improperly, they are never the issues you have.

So you can see that the problem might not get solved right away. But regardless of what I, Oskar, DFI believes or opinionates, someone is looking for a fix for it.

you should remember Mr Alex that DFI knows everything I say and think because they not only read this forum daily, but they also have conversations with me via phone, email, msn. I'm free to have my own opinion as long as I get my job done. And I have to say I get my job done regardless of my opinion on something.

More than a few of you will not agree with my thoughts and what is...is. I can't nor would want to try to force you to live your lives based off what I think.

dj: AMD makes a cpu. Whether the board supports all the functions of a cpu is the issue. Since DFI made the boards, and NV makes the chipsets, neither DFI nor NV has to guarantee they support all functions. For sale's sake, we try to make sure the chipsets we choose all adhere to the features the cpu offers. Sometimes we go out of our way to make a cpu that was never intended to run on a specific chipset work decent, if not better than any other (ie: mobile AthlonXP).

DFI made the board with the NV chipset. The NV chipset is the one that has the C&Q feature to support AMD's C&Q. As I have already explained, we are looking for a fix to take care of the few customers that it does not work for.

Oskar has already stated that this, along with some other issues can be solely related the the NV chipset we are using. But instead of falling on that old tactic to blame the other guy, even if it is a chipset-specific issue, we are trying to make it a non-issue.

Other things like the 240Mhz bus on SATA1/2 is most definitely a chipset issue, and there's not much we can do about it, but that still does not stop us from trying.

Oskar writes the bios for the majority. The majority are overclockers. That is why the bios is so loose @ stock speeds (and other boards like the MSI can score higher at pure defaults). This is what the board was built for, and who it was built to cater to. The bios is written a certain way to be able to overclock/tweak until your heart explodes.

Oskar tries to make everything work well. Sometimes granting the BIOS the ability to massively overclock makes something else not work or work as well. C&Q might be a victim of this.

If this is the case, then Oskar has to decide to rewrite the entire bios just to make C&Q work. He's already stated that this would take serious time, and it would undo all of the great tweaking ability of the board that he has spent so long making the king of overclocking/performance.

If he stops working on the bios to make a special, specific bios for a few users then that is what he decides. But all of the great features of overclocking would not be present (sure it would still overclock but nothing like it does now). This would turn away a majority of the customers and potential customers that purchase these boards.

This is why I tell you that neither Oskar nor I believe you purchased the right board if you only bought it to run C&Q.

I and RGone and I imagine Oskar believe that if you want a board just to run C&Q...you should have bought the MSI or Abit or any other board that supports it fully and doesn't have a problem with it (and don't overclock as well either). The boxes might say C&Q. The box nor the board was made for the sole purpose of running C&Q.

The board was made for exactly what the overwhelming majority are using it for....overclocking/tweaking.

Again we apologize if there's a feature that isn't working for you. It is being worked on. But I stand behind my words as truth that if you bought this board for C&Q, you should return it and buy a different motherboard, as this board was never built nor intended to be a 'run of the mill stock' motherboard.

and whether DFI agrees with me or not is a moot point. They have their official words that they as a corp have to live by.

I am a human and I have an opinion along with inside knowledge of being a DFI employee. It is this freedom and opinion that DFI-USA values from me and keeps me around. Sometimes I speak out of turn and get yelled at. Mostly though its a quiet agreement that I can say a lot of things that others cannot.

That is also why this forum is here, paid for by me, out of my own pocket, and DFI doesn't have a single dollar invested in. It is my way to get support to the majority of DFI users in the best way possible. I get paid by DFI to support their boards. It is my decision how and when and where I do it.

quick questoin... is there one revision of this board, or has any other revision been put out in the market?

or are all the nf3-250gb boards the exact same numbering etc etc?

maybe that is why some peoples cool and quiet works and others dont?

and cool quiet only works on stock speeds is that right ?

thanks for any replies i might get

and Angry_Games, i havent been here long at all, BUt i think people should value the work and time U even spend on these boards to help anyone out

this is how i made my desicion to buy the board :)

C&Q is supposed to work regardless of speed (so say some including Oskar).

whether it actually does...people get different results. Some it works for seriously overclocked...some it errors out and hoses when overclocked. Some it works for @ stock...some it doesn't even work for @ stock...

there's only 1 revision of DFI NF3 right now. Everyone (you, me, Rgone, the world) all have the same exact revision ;)

Since NV will not revision this chipset any further we have to make do with what we have. Its a good thing that we waited as long as we did and got a later revision of chipset to avoid the majority of problems that other board mfg's faced with earlier revisions =)