Why can't I get my ram very high?

Jonny K

I just bought a gig of Corsair PC3200XL Ram, two 512 sticks in dual channel mode. This is the ram that runs 2-2-2-5 out of the box. My CPU is an Athlon XP-M 2500+ overclocked to various degrees, and my motherboard is a DFI NF2 Ultra Infinity.

Before my main overclocking commences, I first test to see the highest FSB setting I can get. To do this, I set the CPU multiplier very low (6X or so) and then crank the FSB and test. Unfortunatly, it looks like 210 is the highest I can go without getting Memtest errors (even with loose timings and high voltage for both the CPU and memory!). Now this ram is supposed to get me up to DDR500 (as shown in various reviews)...why such a low score? Could the CPU be holding me back, even at such a low speed? I'd hate to have spent just over 400 dollars Canadian on some ram that isn't going to get me high! :angel:

Thanks.

Yes, I tried the highest voltage my ram would go (3.3V on this board).

But I just remembered something - Command Per Clock. I disabled it and suddenly I'm running 240FSB right now. Sorry, I should have known.

Testing continues...

agreed....you need to post your system specs, and make yourself a signature (read the FAQ)

Other thing....the RAM is rated PC3200? which is DDR400. Many of the review sites get hand picked sticks that will run higher frequencies just so it gets a good review....which doesn't mean much to us at the consumer level.

There are many things you can try to get higher (ie more voltage, burning in the RAM, looser timings)...but from what i've experienced...it all depends on the chips on your ram sticks. Try to find that out if you can (without pulling the heatspreaders if possible...which will void your warranty, not let you return them) what those chips are, and then find out what other people with those same chips have tried, and what they're running at. There are posts around that list what companies use what chips (if not here, than try a google on your mem). If you're not happy with the performance after trying everything you can...RMA it and take the restocking loss. You'll be much happier for doing so after getting the RAM you want.

don't give up just yet though....most places give you 30 days to test. As long as they haven't built in something that tells you've overvolted them to 3.3V, and they still work, than they'll take 'em back if you're not happy.

-TorZ

PS: Welcome to the forums!:D

Ok, I was running my system at 240x10 with command per clock off and loose timings. Turns out I get way better performance running 204x12 with CPC on and 2-2-2-11 timings, so that's what I'm sticking with for now.

Thanks for the help.