mobo + memory problems

Glad to see the help has flooded through, all info mentioned above is gold

I cant comment on more ram than 1GB but it is my understanding that the more onboard ram u have the harder it will be to push tighter timings and increase your fsb to super duper levels.

Any new info regarding your problem, is it looking better now?

I am not trying to run at at super duper levels, just at the defaults. I am not into ocing.

I am trying to find another supply I can try, but it seems no1 I know has a 350W+ PSU. A coupe of my friends are on vacations I think, so I dont know what kind of comps they have yet.

I haven't tried messing w/ the BIOS yet, cuz I wanted to rule out, or confirm that PSU is the problem first.

But I may have to try changing the BIOS like RGone suggested, because I dont know when and if I'll be able to try another PSU.

If anything, I think I'm learning something new, so that's good.

I think it might be best to treat your 3rd Dimm as a spare.

Nooo. :( I want 1.5 gigs d*** it!

:confused: I hope it is to the very point and no BS.

1. The 'more' memory the more load on the memory controller and more volts load on the slots. When I put 3 sticks in which I have done in 2x256 and 1x512 to run 'true' dual channel> then if I was fine at 3.2V 2x256> I have to go to 3.3V. Simple it takes it.

There is one 'special' enermax power supply that one user had but very few do and until someone told me what he was using> I had never heard of it> that is rated 350watts and seems to work. All others usually need not apply at only a 350watt rating. They just don't get the job done most of the time. Too many people have struggled and wondered and floundered and gone with one of a few power supplies that have been 'found' to work well and many of their problems disappear. Just a fact.

3x512 will be seen to post as dual channel. Is it? I cannot calculate how it truly is so. 2x256 in the two slots closest to cpu and one 512 in the slot furtherest from the cpu is dual channel and its' best for sure. Any other combo is going to have to be trying to use one part of a stick in DC likely and the rest what? Just there for the ride? Hale if I know.

Flash to the 6/19 as I suggested and after getting all back up well on the 2 sticks> load optimized defaults save and exit and while booting shutdown and add the third stick and set the 06/19 bios as I showed you above in the added specs out to the side of what you were using. If that "works" (works) with your current setup> then you have 1.5Gig RAM be deeyam as you said above and you can see if you can up the FSB a single FSB at a time until it fails and then that will be that and you are there. In the 6/19 bios make sure you turn off CPC as I said above and what ever the results> well those are the results as best as they get. NF2 was never designed to run 1.5Gig ram is my understanding from readng way back there. You can look at the layout of the memory slots and see that is a likely fact. So knowing what I know about the supposed design>what you get will be what you get and that is about it as I said.

Sincerely, RGone

Pal, either use 1x512MB in slot3 + 2x256MB in slots 1+2 or 1GB slot 3 + 2x512MB slots1+2...

otherwise the overhead (RGone already mentioned that above) would be of a very deep impact on stability and performance. The NB would have to do wait cycles to syncronize data packages 1:2.

That's like setting up a raid0 array with a 40 and an 80gig hdd. Not very good and effective (the raid would even make you loose 40gig).

That's the only way to do. Neither 3x256 nor 3x512 do any good for that old Nforce2...

• 7 months later...

I hear people having trouble with power supplies all the time, and yet I am using no-name generic power supplies in my machines and have had no trouble with them.

I run a 2500+ Mobile at 2.5Ghz (200FSB x 12.5) at 1.75v, RAM at 2.7v. Operating temp is less than the 2400+ at stock settings sitting right next to it.

I am using cheap 2 x Samsung 512MB DIMMS.

I am not trying to say that the caution on cheap stuff is not warranted, but you would be better off to tell people what to look for in thier euipment that may be wrong rather than just categorically dismissing parts.

Since boards like the DFI LanParty and others can show you all your line voltages etc, it is very easy to TEST a power supply and see whetner or not it is having difficulty. For example in my machine the +3v is slightly weak, but has not caused me any problems yet, it is still within 'normal operating parameters.

I also have a bit of a problem with saying, that at normal settings, you may have to jump your voltages to 3.2v to use 3 dimms. The board is made to run 3 dimms, I assume (it has 3 slots) so if your saying that putting in 3 dimms is beyond the capability of the RAM controller or the voltage regulators on board, I would have to ask what kind of garbage DFI is building. I don't think DFi is making junk boards, or I wouldn't own them.