[RESOLVED] Was P/s Horrible Problem.. Auto-Reboot Galore

I've been running 251x10 for months with absolutely no probs at all, up until 3 nights ago. All of a sudden, while just surfing the web, the computer would reboot itself every 3 mts or so.. I set the computer "not to reboot on error", but it still rebooted, and no errors listed in adm. tools at all. Here's the steps I've taken to find the culprit.. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

1. Changed processor

2. Flashed to 6/19, then 1/21, then back to original 2/15 bios.

3. Power Supply rails are, and remain dead perfect.

4. Ran Memtest86 for 10 loops at 251x10.. No errors found.

5. Dropped down from 251 to 200, then 166 then 133.. prob still exists.

6. Set Memory to optimal.

7. Reinstalled WinXP

8.. The ONLY SOLUTION is to set system to "optimized defaults"; which boots to 800mhz with both my 2500+ or 2600+ mobile processors.

It seems there must be something wrong with my board.. How to test, and what to do?

^...the voltages slightly and see. It maybe that after running that long that a fan or heatsink is becoming dust clogged and a more voltage should help that and perhaps an environmental warming in your locale.

Sincerely, RGone...1ster>:cool: quickmath.

Thanks for the tips, but I had already checked and tried those ideas...thx very much though.. I reinstalled WinXP again, with no luck...Then stripped the case, took out the DFI, put in my old old Abit KX7-333, reinstalled Windows and wahlah.. found that the board was the problem. What could it be though? Scratching head :eek:

look and see if any of the caps on the board are blown ,the tops of the capacitors should be perfectly flat, if they are domes they are bad. a lot of times that will cause reboots/unstability. if that is the case you can simply solder in new caps and be as good as gold.

also if there aren't any blown caps, try running the board out of the case, set it on an antistatic mat/bag and see if it still reboots for you.

put in my old old Abit KX7-333, reinstalled Windows and wahlah.. found that the board was the problem

not necessarily....

I found that setting that I ran on my DFI wouldn't work with the same components on an Asus board......

but neither board was bad....

the Asus overvolted while the DFI tends to undervolt a bit...

just took a while to find the correct combo....

did you try different voltage settings as RGone mentioned?

chip could be bad, PSU could be going (what are you using to measure rails?)

or something else/

sure, could be the board, but it still could be many other things....

Lesson well learned. I am so glad that I was able to venture so many avenues to find the problem; and accusations towards the Lanparty came way way too soon. I tried my best to blame the board, but after an hour or so with my old old setup, I rebooted.. then all a sudden everything shut off!.. I for so long thereafter sat there wishing so hard for a fan to spin; no dice. After about an hour of this, I decided that the board must be too old and lost it's legs. I took out the old Abit board and reinstalled the DFI in hopes to at least get the fans going; no dice again. Really flustered, I grabbed an old 250 watt supply that's been in my closet for years, plugged the atx cable only to the board, and fans started right up! So, hard for me to believe that it could possibly be this great Antec Truecontrol 550W psu costing $120 I bought 8 months ago (oops, the second one due to the first one failing after 3 months, and had to wait 2 weeks to use my pc again) ... but I immediately went to the local PC store, which has no gr8 name products to speak of, picked up a 600W psu for $60, which brand name I've never heard of.. Installed, reinstalled Windows and now I'm 100% back to where I was before all this started... and for the lesson learned? If this one goes bad, I've got a guy that will take care of the problem 3 blocks away...thx again for the tips.

John

...the reason most of us did not suspect the board is that is not very normal for them to just die. There usually is some telltale sign like capacitors which was not so likely in your case anyway. So most of us suspected heat or psu as the most normal thing.

I have two friends that had to get clean away from Antec because of unrealized expectations with 550watt high dollar antecs. Don't ask me but it just seems nothing is safe or sacred anymore when bean counters and stock markets control the quality of way too many things.

I am certainly glad that your 'total' symptoms came straight on to you though and you were able to realize a solution. I will mark this thread as resolved.

Sincerely, RGone...

PS: appreciate you candor.

glad it worked out and I am more glad you told us the result as we can all learn from it....

I, sadly...., am reading more and more.... not so favorable reviews and mentions of Antec PSU's...never owned one...but I am learning too.....

glad the sytem is up and running and enjoy the ride....

wow.....would you look at that....... my wine glass is empty!

Bye

Guest Spartacus

I noticed a trend long ago between unstable board issues and Antec PSUs. The poll was not necessarily reflective of that (forum polls being what they are), but it sure seemed to me like a very high percentage of the day to day people asking for help with dead/unstable boards had an Antec PSU.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=308362